Issues to install on VPS

jdn1976

Verified User
Hello I am trying to install DirectAdmin on a VPS to testing the panel in order to migrate my accounts from cPanel to DirectAdmin.
But first I am trying to install and learning and testing the DirectAdmin.
So the VPS had 512 Mb RAM, 1x Core, 20 GB SSD.
Everytime i try to install when reach to install mySQL, just freezes and then stops. The VPS load goes 9.00 - 11.00 but it is working.
Any ideas how to solve this? Or do I need more RAM ir order to install and test the DirectAdmin?

Hello yes, I follow the instructions. I also made and VPS upgrade to 1 GB RAM. I am trying to install on CentOS 7 64bit.
It is strange because it take hours to install/download files. I left the installation running at night and when I wake up it shows on last messages (always fails when reach on mySQL instalation):

--2020-04-01 00:19:10-- https://files-de.directadmin.com/se...community-libs-compat-5.7.27-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
Resolving files-de.directadmin.com (files-de.directadmin.com)... 46.4.143.169, 2a01:4f8:10a:6db::4
Connecting to files-de.directadmin.com (files-de.directadmin.com)|46.4.143.169|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 2116432 (2.0M) [application/x-redhat-package-manager]
Saving to: '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql/mysql-community-libs-compat-5.7.27-1.el7.x86_64.rpm'
100%[======================================>] 2,116,432 34.3KB/s in 63s
2020-04-01 00:20:15 (32.6 KB/s) - '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql/mysql-community-libs-compat-5.7.27-1.el7.x86_64.rpm' saved [2116432/2116432]
Found /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql/mysql-community-client-5.7.27-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
Found /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql/mysql-community-devel-5.7.27-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
Found /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql/mysql-community-server-5.7.27-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
Found /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql/mysql-community-libs-5.7.27-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
Found /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql/mysql-community-libs-compat-5.7.27-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
Found /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql/mysql-community-common-5.7.27-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
Stopping mysqld ...
Cannot find /usr/bin/mysql, installing MySQL
warning: mysql-community-client-5.7.27-1.el7.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 5072e1f5: NOKEY
Preparing... ################################# [100%]
Updating / installing...
1:mysql-community-common-5.7.27-1.e################################# [ 17%]
2:mysql-community-libs-5.7.27-1.el7################################# [ 33%]
3:mysql-community-client-5.7.27-1.e################################# [ 50%]
4:mysql-community-server-5.7.27-1.ewarning: /etc/my.cnf created as /etc/my.cnf.rpmnew
################################# [ 67%]
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/lib64/mysql/plugin/group_replication.so;5e840870: cpio: read
error: mysql-community-server-5.7.27-1.el7.x86_64: install failed
5:mysql-community-devel-5.7.27-1.el################################# [ 83%]
6:mysql-community-libs-compat-5.7.2################################# [100%]
Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/mysqld.service to /etc/systemd/system/mysqld.service.
Ensuring local-infile is disabled for security reasons in MySQL configuration file...
/var/lib/mysql/mysql does not exist, running clean mysql data installation...
./build: line 9905: /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: No such file or directory
Job for mysqld.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status mysqld.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
mysqladmin: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' exists!
Error setting root pass using /usr/bin/mysqladmin. Trying SET PASSWORD.
Setting password: ALTER USER 'root'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED WITH mysql_native_password BY 'KB0IfkK0zhPn';
We seem to have an error when trying to SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost'
Changed secure_php option from no to yes
PHP has been secured.
Job for httpd.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status httpd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root

Then I try to access to direct admin panel on port 2222 and do not open on browser.

This is the second time I am trying to install since I upgrade VPS RAM from 512Mb to 1Gb

Any help is welcome!

Try to reinstall Centos7, than yum update, install all DA preinstall packages, then try to install with mysql 5.6 (then upgrade) or mariadb, if all OK - then you can replace mariadb to mysql

Now I have tried to install without auto option and selected mysql 5.6 and again:

A RANDOM PASSWORD HAS BEEN SET FOR THE MySQL root USER !
You will find that password in '/root/.mysql_secret'.
You must change that password on your first connect, no other statement but 'SET PASSWORD' will be accepted.
See the manual for the semantics of the 'password expired' flag.
Also, the account for the anonymous user has been removed.
In addition, you can run:
/usr/bin/mysql_secure_installation
which will also give you the option of removing the test database.
This is strongly recommended for production servers.
See the manual for more instructions.
Please report any problems at http://bugs.mysql.com/
The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
http://www.mysql.com
Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at http://shop.mysql.com
New default config file was created as /usr/my.cnf and
will be used by default by the server when you start it.
You may edit this file to change server settings
WARNING: Default config file /etc/my.cnf exists on the system
This file will be read by default by the MySQL server
If you do not want to use this, either remove it, or use the
--defaults-file argument to mysqld_safe when starting the server
3:MySQL-devel-5.6.45-1.el7 ################################# [ 75%]
4:MySQL-client-5.6.45-1.el7 ################################# [100%]
Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/mysqld.service to /etc/systemd/system/mysqld.service.
Ensuring local-infile is disabled for security reasons in MySQL configuration file...
Warning: Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
Error setting root pass using /usr/bin/mysqladmin. Trying SET PASSWORD.
Setting password: SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('MO8M39f7BE9tFqgDN');
We seem to have an error when trying to SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost'

and again error while installing DirectAdmin. Any ideas?

Zhenyapan, I already try to reinstall CentOS 7 and try to install mySQL 5.6.
Same problem.

Is it possible to install Direct Admin without mysql/database and then install database later?

Back