Just got a new server and trying to setup dns

Anzix

Verified User
Hello Everyone,

We have had 1 server for awhile and we recently got a new one and I was woundering how would I do dns. So I can share frag-wire.com between the 2 servers.

Like I want to make a sub on server 2: fb.frag-wire.com

How do I setup the dns to for both servers to operate off frag-wire.com ns

Do I go on the 2nd server and make ns3 & ns 4? Please help me Im really a newb at this stuff.

Hello,

You'd pick one server to control the dns (probably the first server), then you'd add an A record for the subdomain pointing to the 2nd server (ie: fp A 1.2.3.4). On the second server, just create a domain "fb.frag-wire.com". Dns won't be controlled from the second server. (Make sure the ip you've create in the dns matchs the ip you're using for the domain).

John

alright I have picked server one to control the dns so what do I do know?

I go into the first server under the domain name and add an A Record for the subdomain fb.frag-wire.com ?

Hello,

Yes, you'd add the A record to point to the 2nd server. You would add:
Code:
fp       1.2.3.4
to the zone as an A record. When you don't add a dot at the end of the name (fp) it will automatically append the domain name to the end of it (fp.frag-wire.com). Then go to the 2nd server and create the domain "fp.frag-wire.com" so that apache can find it.

John

is their away to make it so where when i make an account on the 2nd server it auto does this?

Without coding a script, or doing additional work, no.

It shouldn't be to difficult to create a script as i mentioned in the other thread although automation *will* at the moment require work.

Chris

also would I do the same step's for a .com? Say I made an account on the 2nd server.

All domain extensions would be done in the same way as each other, just look at your current DNS settings and replace the domains with your actual domain.

Chris

Back