Keep getting "No Domains" error despite having a bunch...

protogabe

Hi:

I migrated a bunch of my sites off one companies cPanel VPS recently to another. In the process everything was converted over to DirectAdmin. One thing keeps bothering me even though everything is fine.

I keep getting this pesky notification that i have no domains even though I clearly have a root account and a dozen other accounts. The exact error is :

"No Domains There is no default domain; you should start with creating one first"

How can this be? I'm on a live server that is connected to the internet serving a dozen or so sites and logged into root. It comes up whenever I'm in the root account try to do something, like get spamassassin working or alter user privileges.

I then am prompted to enter a domain name (see attached screenshot) and if I try to enter the root account domain that I'm currently in, which technically should be the default domain I assume, it says it's already set up. Than it proceeds to shoot back the "no default domain" error again when I try to do something.

I think something is wrong with the set-up due to a poor migration. I searched for this error on the forums and none of the solutions apply to my circumstance. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 11.59.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 11.59.22 AM.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 13
I just means you havent set one as the Users default domain.

I just means you havent set one as the Users default domain.

Granted I said I searched the forums and the answer was not sufficient. That was the post that was not sufficient.

First of all, OP says it would be nice if this were in the documentation. Replier than gives an answer, however in my case, as I stated you can't go to domain setup and "... select the domain and click "set as default" then..."

So although I thank you kind sir for doing what I did, it does not address my issue.

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 1.27.37 PM.png
Clicking Domain Setup over and over...all I get is an error. Just to put away the "referenced post" from 2019 the guy says "select the domain and click 'set as default'" - ok wonderful. Where? And why isn't the admin user the default user? I'm logged in as ROOT ADMIN, by default I would assume DirectAdmin would be smart enough to know this is the default user. I don't understand how this works nor do I see an iota of documentation on it. In every common computer semantic language a root user is a default user. I'm flummoxed. All I wanted to do was set up a spam filter. ;(

You likely have your domains under some other users, not admin :) Click on “admin” then “show all users” to see them and login as the user you’d like to do user-level actions with.

You likely have your domains under some other users,
From the screenshot it looks rather that he gets this message being logged in as admin and using user level.
You should be able to create a domain there too, bu the only gets the eror notice without the possibility to create a domain there.

@protogabe Please don't make statements about assumptions when you don't understand how it works (like you stated yourself too).
The admin is the default user. But you are mixing up default user and default domain. Every user can have multiple domains (even admin) so one has to be the default domain, normally the domain created first. So don't mix up default user and default domain, they are 2 different things.
Next to that, unlike cPanel, in DA an admin is both admin and reseller and user in 1 account too.

So back to business. Do you want to setup a spam filter? That is only possible on the domain you want to setup the spamfilter for.
To do that, you have to login as the owner of that domain (so as the user) the way smtalk has stated.

If you want to have a domain as admin, then you have to create that domain in the domain setup, at least if you can create it there. If is happening what I explained, that you can't create a domain but only get that error notice on admin's user level, then something is going wrong.

From the screenshot it looks rather that he gets this message being logged in as admin and using user level.
You should be able to create a domain there too, bu the only gets the eror notice without the possibility to create a domain there.

@protogabe Please don't make statements about assumptions when you don't understand how it works (like you stated yourself too).
The admin is the default user. But you are mixing up default user and default domain. Every user can have multiple domains (even admin) so one has to be the default domain, normally the domain created first. So don't mix up default user and default domain, they are 2 different things.
Next to that, unlike cPanel, in DA an admin is both admin and reseller and user in 1 account too.

So back to business. Do you want to setup a spam filter? That is only possible on the domain you want to setup the spamfilter for.
To do that, you have to login as the owner of that domain (so as the user) the way smtalk has stated.

If you want to have a domain as admin, then you have to create that domain in the domain setup, at least if you can create it there. If is happening what I explained, that you can't create a domain but only get that error notice on admin's user level, then something is going wrong.
This answer should be entered in the official documentation. Thank you! This is hands down the best explanation of how the user semantics works that I've read -- if semantics is the right word here. And yes I realize my aggravation on correlating admin as default came off like a drunken sailor. In cPanel I had a root account that was a god-mode. But alas, that chapter is over. Shifting to DA's roles is taking time. I was knocking my head against a wall, but I get it a little more now.

You likely have your domains under some other users, not admin :) Click on “admin” then “show all users” to see them and login as the user you’d like to do user-level actions with.

Indeed this was the case. Thank you! Apparently Spamassasin does something when I click it within a users domain (albiet that what it did was shoot me back this error message) but that's another thread. Original problem solved.

In cPanel I had a root account that was a god-mode.
Correct, in cPanel there is an admin/root account, which is just a maintenance account to be used to setup and configure things, but is not also used for your own company website. I'm not sure how this is done in Plesk, I forgot, but Panels and the way this works differ. But since I know cPanel I understood the confusion.
As for my explanation, thank you for the complement.

It's quite easy once you get the hang of it. Because you can also create multiple admins if needed. It's not that you're limited to 1 admin account.

Anyway, it takes some getting to get used with DA coming from cPanel. So if you run into things you might find odd, or missing, just search the forum or post a thread. Will be glad to help you if possible.

@protogabe and @Richard G Oh boy, am I glad I joined this forum just now and saw this thread. My host, after swapping from cPanel to DirectAdmin yesterday for costs reasons, gave me login details with username 'admin'. As admin, I thought I was 'chief user' but was unable to find any domains or website files...empty, and, when trying to repair a database, was asked to login to phpMyAdmin. What!! - I have no idea what those might be. After reading this little lot above, I can see and understand so much now plus I've found my 11 websites and all their files. I'm now back in love. :love::ROFLMAO: Thanks so much and such a 'stupid simple' thing to do when you understand it!

:love::ROFLMAO: Thanks so much and such a 'stupid simple' thing to do when you understand it!
Well welcome to the forum. Glad your host was able to fix it for you. Just to help you or your host for in the future. Just some general info.

Well welcome to the forum. Glad your host was able to fix it for you. Just to help you or your host for in the future. Just some general info.

Nah, the members here in this thread helped me find what I wanted. Thanks for the welcome and help link!

Welcome from me too and thank you for your nice message.

Be aware that cPanel is more a click and play panel. With Directadmin, it's not that difficult, but one has to really be bit of an admin. Not everything works automatically and from within the panel. Sometimes you will need to issue some commands via SSH like admins have to do once a while. That's life.
But no worry's, you are always free to ask here at the forums and there are always people like you can see, which are happy to help you out if possible. ;)

@Richard G Thank you. If I ever have to issue a command, I'll be very stuck. :unsure: I'm sure I'll have several queries before that!

Back