Lets Encrypt and non-existent subdomains

Adam166

Verified User
I've removed the ftp/smtp/pop/mail subdomains for a given domain. I do not use or want them.

The let's encrypt module still insists on showing them in the list for selection, I've waited 24 hours in case it's a caching issue.

Is it possible to stop them showing?

This is pretty frustrating for me with an account with 10+ domains and having to scroll and find the additional domains I want to add to the cert.

in the directadmin.conf look for

Set them to what you want.
Code:
letsencrypt_list=www:mail:ftp:webmail
letsencrypt_list_selected=www:mail:ftp:webmail
then
Code:
systemctl restart directadmin

report back if that helps

PS this is server global. they wont affect just one domain.

Does exist any way to exclude root from the proposed/selected?
If I have an email only server, I would like to have i.e. just mail.example.com and webmail.example.com, and not the root example.com...

Thanks, but as an end-user of the product, this is not available to me.

in the directadmin.conf look for

Set them to what you want.
Code:
letsencrypt_list=www:mail:ftp:webmail
letsencrypt_list_selected=www:mail:ftp:webmail
then
Code:
systemctl restart directadmin

report back if that helps

PS this is server global. they wont affect just one domain.

If it was a one off hosting account, I'd agree, but this is for 100's of domains hosted with 10's of different hosts. I don't understand why this would be the default DA config. What's the purpose of it? The module is clearly capable of reading the DNS entries from somewhere, why force entries that could not exist?

If it was a one off hosting account, I'd agree, but this is for 100's of domains hosted with 10's of different hosts. I don't understand why this would be the default DA config. What's the purpose of it? The module is clearly capable of reading the DNS entries from somewhere, why force entries that could not exist?
The purpose of? You having to choose which sub domains in the let’s encrypt list? Or why is pop, ftp, and others even exist as choices? Are you comparing DA to some other process you are familiar with?

The purpose of? You having to choose which sub domains in the let’s encrypt list? Or why is pop, ftp, and others even exist as choices? Are you comparing DA to some other process you are familiar with?

When I add a new domain pointer, I then want to create an LE cert, to do this i have to go to the LE module, then scroll and find domain.com and www.domain.com in a list populated with my other domains, and also bloated out with 4x more entries due to these non-existent sub domains.

If it was a one-off job, sure, can live with it, but now that I've moved 100's of domains from cpanel hosts to DA hosts, I'm noticing some "quirks" that are just really frustrating and time consuming to work around.

And yeah, I'm comparing to cpanel, which usually is set to automatically issue a certificate, and if not, it's much simpler to add one.

With DirectAdmin you get more choices so some things can't be done automatically.

With DirectAdmin you get more choices so some things can't be done automatically.

That's the opposite of my experience here, ftp/smtp/pop/mail subdomains are forced, automatically and I do not have the choice to remove them from the listbox.

First here is the Feedback and suggestion site. https://feedback.directadmin.com/
You need to post your ideas here if you choose.

bloated out with 4x more entries due to these non-existent sub domains.
Yes but that just means your host either doesn't know how to reduce them or other users they have use them. You need to be talking to your Host about your current frustration.

I've moved 100's of domains from cpanel hosts to DA hosts
You can always find another host as there are 1000s and plenty that still use other panels.
I do not have the choice to remove them from the listbox.
Correct its not a User function. You have to own the box to make the changes.

Yes they are in the list box but not checked by default. Only domain.com and www.domain.com are checked by default. If its different for you then somebody has changed the default behavior. I run many servers and they are all the same. When you add a pointer then you should just have to check those 2 boxes for the pointer. Again if that is not the case then somebody has changed something. Ask your host.

When you add a pointer then you should just have to check those 2 boxes for the pointer.
He doesn't want to do that. He wants it to work like Cpanel. Where it just notices you added a subdomain or addon or pointer then AutoSSL (cpanel) just secures it.

Well if it were me I would write a script to check for new domains or pointers and use the DirectAdmin API to do it. I can do it faster than waiting for the developers to make it a feature.

Back