libstdc++.so could not read symbols: File in wrong format

1024kb

Verified User
CustomBuild: 2.0

When running "./build versions" I'm seeing there is an update for PHP available:
PHP 5.5 (mod_php) 5.5.30 to 5.5.31 update is available.

After performing "./build update" and "./build update_versions", it eventually spits out this error:

Code:
/usr/local/lib/../lib/libstdc++.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [libphp5.la] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
/usr/local/lib/../lib/libstdc++.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format
make: *** [sapi/cgi/php-cgi] Error 1
make: *** [sapi/cli/php] Error 1
I'm not sure if this is entirely related or not, but I did follow the steps outlined here and I still receive the same error when trying to update.

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated!

toml

Verified User
More than likely either you don't have the correct version libstdc++.so installed (32 vs 64-bit) or the files were put in the wrong place. Based on the fact that it is in /usr/local/lib I assume you built it instead of installing the system versions which would typically be in /usr/lib for 32-bit and /usr/lib64 for 64-bit. Then when building I am sure your -L has /usr/local/lib/../lib before the system libs so it is finding that one and attempting to use it. My suggestion is to remove the libstdc++ from your /usr/local and install/use the system ones.

1024kb

Verified User
More than likely either you don't have the correct version libstdc++.so installed (32 vs 64-bit) or the files were put in the wrong place. Based on the fact that it is in /usr/local/lib I assume you built it instead of installing the system versions which would typically be in /usr/lib for 32-bit and /usr/lib64 for 64-bit. Then when building I am sure your -L has /usr/local/lib/../lib before the system libs so it is finding that one and attempting to use it. My suggestion is to remove the libstdc++ from your /usr/local and install/use the system ones.
Thanks for the feedback. In response, it looks like I am using the libstdc++ version from the base repo, and I see the 64-bit.

Code:
Installed Packages
libstdc++.x86_64                          4.4.7-16.el6                     @base
libstdc++-devel.x86_64                    4.4.7-16.el6                     @base
Available Packages
libstdc++.i686                            4.4.7-16.el6                     base 
libstdc++-devel.i686                      4.4.7-16.el6                     base 
libstdc++-docs.x86_64                     4.4.7-16.el6                     base
Regarding the file locations, you say that if I'm using the system's version of libstdc++ that it would be located in /usr/lib, but I didn't see it there. However it is in /usr/lib64.

Code:
[root@server2 ~]# ls -l /usr/lib/libstdc*
ls: cannot access /usr/lib/libstdc*: No such file or directory

[root@server2 ~]# ls -l /usr/lib64/libstdc*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     19 Sep 24 18:03 /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 -> libstdc++.so.6.0.13
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 989840 Jul 22  2015 /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6.0.13
Here are the versions that look to be installed in /usr/local/lib

Code:
[root@server2 ~]# ls -l /usr/local/lib/libstdc*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9025112 Dec 14 20:09 /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.a
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     963 Dec 14 20:09 /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      19 Dec 14 20:09 /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so -> libstdc++.so.6.0.18
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      19 Dec 14 20:09 /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.6 -> libstdc++.so.6.0.18
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5149906 Dec 14 20:09 /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.18
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    2311 Dec 14 20:09 /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.18-gdb.py
So do you have any idea why else it might be failing to build?

toml

Verified User
It is failing for exactly the reason I stated. The version you have installed (verified by your rpm commands) was only the 64-bit versions and are the ones you have in /usr/lib64. If you installed the 32-bit version too, you would see it in /usr/lib and your rpm command would not have the i686 versions under the "Available Packages". The only reason you would have them in /usr/local/lib is if you manually installed them there from source or some zip/tar archive. The version you have in your /usr/local/lib is also NOT the same bit-ness as you are trying to compile and that is why you are getting the errors. Try renaming your /usr/local/lib/liststdc++.a and /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so to something else and try again.