Mail errors: 550 authentication required

gjrweb

Hi guys,

I'am new to these forums, however not new to DA administration. We migrated to a new environment and currently receive several bounces on our mailaccounts.

We receive this 550 authentication required error:

[email protected]
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<[email protected]>:
host gj-r.nl [ip-adress-here]: 550 authentication required

The thing is we have DNS forwarded mail.gj-r.nl to our old mail server! Mail shouldn't be handle by our new server. Authentication is off according to our host and default port 25 is in use for SMTP.

Important to note is that mail handle by the server itself is working just fine, however when we DNS forward the mail to our old mail server (or any external mail server) we receive these auth required errors. People who try to reach us receive a bounce which is very annoying.

Here are some details on our set-up:

We are running on the latest CentOS 32 bit version with following specs:

Apache 2.2.14
DirectAdmin 1.35.1
Exim 4.67
MySQL 5.0.67
Named 9.3.4
ProFTPd 1.3.1
dovecot 1.2.10
Php 5.2.12

We are trying to solve this for already a week, hopefully somebody can help us out! Many thanks...

Start at the beginning: your server gives you this message because it's beging sent mail for a domain not on itself, and since it can't find authentication, it won't relay.

Are you sending email out from your desktop? It needs to authenticate either using plaintext password authentication or by attempting to receive mail on the same server using POP before SMTP.

Which are you doing? Which aren't you doing?

Jeff

ok, lets call serv1 our news server. And serv2 our old mailserver.

I am sending mail from my desktop (a local ISP) over SMTP to a domain on serv1. This mail mx records of the domain is forwarded to the serv2 mailserver.

I receive a bounce on the serv1 IP, with error code 550 auth required. This when the mail is directly forwarded via DNS to serv2.

Could it be and issue with it's primary IP and serv2's mailserver ip?

It's a week old fresh install btw, hopefully you can help us out. Any suggestion would be welcome.

Why are you sending email out through what you call serv1? Is it your main outbound server? If so, then it would only give that error if you're not authenticating your outbound email. DirectAdmin servers won't relay mail to external servers unless the mail has been sent with authentication. There are lots of threads on this subject on these forums.

Jeff

Hi jlasman,

Many thanks for your reply. I am back since the problem is bigger than expected.

We are using DA however we are using an external DNS server. Sofar "DirectAdmin servers won't relay mail to external servers unless the mail has been sent with authentication.". We relay our mail directly to serv2 via an external DNS server. This since we are in a migration period en will migratie mail services on serv2 later.
Eventually everybody will use mail via serv 1.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome!

@gjrweb,

You're confusing me a bit since extenal DNS has nothing to do with external mail.

If you give a specific example, listing exactly what happens to a piece of email, then maybe I or someone else will be able to help you.

@AlessandroB,

I don't know how you can tell you're having the same problem since none of us know what the problem is. You may have a similar symptom, but you haven't even proved that, and it's most certainly not the same if the problem is only with Webmail.

If you're using a standard DirectAdmin exim.conf file and have set up email and your hostname properly, and your DNS is resolving properly, and you have working DNS servers in your resolv.conf file, then DirectAdmin will relay outgoing email from Webmail.

Jeff

same problem here...

sending an email from my own domain (mydomain.com) hosted on my server "serv1"

so as user [email protected] authenticated.

pop : mail.mydomain.com
smtp : mail.mydomain.com

smtp use pop authentication and port 587

sending email on my other server "serv2"

the answer is this

[email protected]
host mail.otherdomain.com [xx.xx.xx.xx]: 550 authentication required

webmail have the same problem (squirrel or roundcube)

the funny thing in this problem is if i send an email to [email protected]
from [email protected]
using my ISP smtp which is not authenticated.
[email protected] will correctly receive the email

all servers i own use the latest version of exim exim.conf
and only this server have the problem "serv2"

i dont understand why serv2 would need an authentication for an email send to an owned domain.
and yes the domain otherdomain.com is listed in /etc/virtual/domains in serv2

Which version of the exim.conf file are you using? (The latest one was actually just uploaded to my site this morning, so I want to be sure.)

Also, can you find the lines in the recipient server's /var/log/exim/mainlog file? If so, post them.

Jeff

using this

DirectAdmin SpamBlocker Version 3.2.4 RC exim.conf

and actualy it look like "serv2" recipient server only have logs for those email succeed from [email protected] using my ISP smtp which is not authenticated.

otherwise no trace in mainlog only

from [email protected]

[email protected]
host mail.otherdomain.com [xx.xx.xx.xx]: 550 authentication required

*note... i noticed this is happening only to 1 hosting in serv2 all other hosting look to be ok

as long as remember, the only things different to this hosting account is the account name change using directadmin script

usr/local/directadmin/scripts/change_username.sh olduser newuser

i will try to rename the account with the old user just to make sure the change_username.sh is not the problem

problem solved.

the answer, in my case, was because of a "serv3" the adresse IP of the domain "otherdomain.com" is a dedicated ip. For the purpose lets say its 74.45.122.110

otherdomain.com and his ip are setup on serv2 as i said before.. everything work find.. email, website for every one except if you are using an email authenticated hosted in our servers.

so i discovered that the ip has been setup (using Directadmin) on an other server by the pass "serv3" for an other account . This ip has also been removed from "serv3" using Directadmin but the fact is Directadmin didn't correctly remove this ip so now i dont see 74.45.122.110 under directadmin management ip listing but the ip is still present doing ifconfig at eth0:26

now i have to figure how correctly remove this ip from serv3 and submit this problem to directadmin support for investigation.

problem found using telnet 74.45.122.110 25 serv3 answered to my smtp request.

Back