Mail received by server but not delivered

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetechnaddict

Verified User
[solved] Mail received by server but not delivered

I feel like apologising for this post since there are many others on 'ghost' emails and the like - I am posting because I cannot get close to seeing how any of them apply to my server - this is most likely because I am a noob.

When sending a mail to the default mail account no error is reported from the mail client, no bounce back.

When I look at the webmail for the account there is no message in the inbox.

When I look at the usage figures on the email account page of DA at user level it appears that there are emails in that account.

Looking at /var/log/exim/mainlog there seems to be activity - mails arriving from cron for instance, which is what I want to look at, and as far as I can see no errors are reported.

If I redirect mail from the default email to another domain and send the default email address a message it is correctly forwarded.

Mails from cron are not forwarded.

In the services at admin level I can see that exim is running as is dovecote

I can send messages.

The MX at user level is set to localhost

As far as I can see from this report there are no server settings that are really bad...

http://www.dnssy.com/report.php?q=ablazepartners.org

I don't think this has ever worked, but generally we don't use email from this server - but now we'd really like to.

With thanks in anticipation of some pointers!

Last edited:
So your problem is just on local realy?

I mean, if you send email from serverA to serverB mail arrive and if you send from serverA to serverA doesnt?

What exim.conf are you using? You can check reading first 5 lines of /etc/exim.conf

Regards

SpamBlocker.exim.conf.2.1.1-release

If I send a mail from an external server the mail arrives, it can be redirected to an external email address, but if there is no redirection it does not appear in the user's inbox.

So it appears to arrive but not to be moved to the inbox.

If the message is generated locally, well it doesn't appear in the inbox.

But in both cases the messages do appear to be stored somewhere are they are showing up in the usage figures for the email account.

Thanks Andrea

so the mail get accepted? Doesnt appear in exim reject log? Are you using dovecot? You installed directly dovecot or turned from maildir to dovecot?

Regards

Dovecot from DA

As far as I remember dovecot was installed by DirectAdmin - although it is a while ago since I installed so I am not sure. - how could I check for the presence of maildir?

I only know I have dovecot because I can see it in the services list.

And no, although there are rejected entries they are from a gentleman who seems intent on trespass...

Long time - not sure if it ever worked - not been using it until now as we have another domain that serves our mail on another server

I would try to do

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build todovecot

But honestly dont know if would create damage if you are already using dovecot.

Actually ive no ideas about that... should you also past the output of

Code:
ls -l /home/admin/

So i should understand if you are using dovecot?

Regards

Thank You!

Rebuilding dovcot (or at least I assume that is what I have just done) worked brilliantly - It converted the messages - and I can now access them. (which has had the happy side effect of enabling me to sort out another issue with a cron script!)

It has also warned me about a quota issue that I have found answers to elsewhere in the forum

What a happy day!

So a thousand thank you's for helping sort out this issue, it is a huge relief that allows me to go ahead with various plans that have been blocked...

I would try to do

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build todovecot

But honestly dont know if would create damage if you are already using dovecot.

Actually ive no ideas about that... should you also past the output of

Code:
ls -l /home/admin/

So i should understand if you are using dovecot?

Regards

Old thread; 2020 answer; this helped fix one of my problems. Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back