Majordomo, DMARC and Yahoo

stfreedom

Hey all,

My hosts and I are looking around for a solution to the recent changes by Yahoo to enable DMARC. Yahoo has broken every mailing list in the world (p=reject was turned on)

(http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg87153.html)

An example below of the bounce:

[email protected]
(generated from mylist.domain.com)
SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
host mta5.am0.yahoodns.net [98.138.112.34]: 554 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons. See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/errors/postmaster-28.html

Suggestions seem to be:

* Suspend posting permission of all yahoo.com addresses, to limit damage
* Tell Yahoo users to get a new mail account somewhere else, pronto, if they want to continue using mailing lists
* If you know people at Yahoo, ask if perhaps this wasn't such a good

My question is, can anyone direct me to a solution to the problem. I know with mailman it can be done but having no luck with majordomo.

Thanks all,

Anthony

The only way I knew, was to move to Mailman, which does have a method to get around that DMARC business. I was getting sick of seeing all the bounced/undelivered messages due to that. There was a post somewhere on here that gave a nice how-to for installing Mailman

Thanks for that; I'm now going to do the same.

So, Majordomo is broken in DirectAdmin for the world now? Countless installations of majordomo failing to send to Yahoo. Isn't that odd given that I don't see a big post in here saying: *danger, warning, majordomo is broken. Better not use it to send for Yahoo to Yahoo*

Maybe 99.9% of those installs are using Majordomo as spammers? Shame about the .1% of us who are left.

Cheers

I'm guessing not many people are using mailing lists within DirectAdmin.

Mailman has been worked on years ago, I'm guessing it has not been worked on recently, maybe this event is reason to give it a higher priority.

Mailman is actually actively being worked on. Majordomo (1 the version shipped with DirectAdmin) on the other hand hasn't been on for many years. They are in the process of rewriting it, but it is still in Beta. The issue with Majordomo isn't isolated to DirectAdmin servers, it is an issue with all servers, most of the information I found regarding this issue, I found on other sites. Then I found that Mailman had an option to work around DMARC and found a post on how to install it in DA, so I went that route.

Mailman is actually actively being worked on. Majordomo (1 the version shipped with DirectAdmin) on the other hand hasn't been on for many years. They are in the process of rewriting it, but it is still in Beta. The issue with Majordomo isn't isolated to DirectAdmin servers, it is an issue with all servers, most of the information I found regarding this issue, I found on other sites. Then I found that Mailman had an option to work around DMARC and found a post on how to install it in DA, so I went that route.

I meant that DA has been working on implementing Mailman inside custombuild a few years ago. And that there may not be that many DA users that are using the mailing list, as response to

So, Majordomo is broken in DirectAdmin for the world now? Countless installations of majordomo failing to send to Yahoo. Isn't that odd given that I don't see a big post in here saying: *danger, warning, majordomo is broken. Better not use it to send for Yahoo to Yahoo*

Maybe 99.9% of those installs are using Majordomo as spammers? Shame about the .1% of us who are left.

The original Majordomo hasn't been worked on for many years, and is likely due for retirement. (I used to run a mailing list server business based on it, many years ago).

Majordomo 2 has been in beta for a long time without being worked on, and it's unlikely, in my opinion, to ever be finished.

We suggest to our clients that for communication with their clients they install one of the mail list managers available in Installatron, or others. And that for community mailings we suggest using forums.

Note though that DMARC unless carefully implemented can also break most forwards.

That said, perhaps it's time to switch users to Mailman. I like others, would like it to be something we could do in CustomBuild which would automatically migrate lists (though I know migration might not be possible).

Jeff

Back