migrate mbox form box1 to new dovecot on box2

Timmm

Verified User
Guys,

Because of the replacement of an old server we would like to combine a fresh OS install and DirectAdmin install on the new server with migrating the mboxes from the olf server tot the new server where we will run dovecot.

What do you suggest? First install new server with DA and mbox (vm-pop), copy/transfer all the data and then upgrade to Dovecot and convertthe mboxes (using builds in customapache)

Or is there another way?

Thanks!

you can do your way, or convert mbox to dovecot first on the old server, then backup/restore to new server

well exim gets installed by default i realized. so the new machine has to be converted to dovecot anyway. Think I first transfer all the data to the new machine,make sure it works and convert to dovecot...

this is a production machine so i would like to be careful any tips or tricks welcome.

i suggest you should setup DA at new box. copy all data from old server to new server. install dovecot at new server and convert mbox to maildir there. since dovecot stores mails to /home/user/imap, please make sure you have enough space in your /home partition.

All your users will pop all their old mails again after the mbox->maildir conversion if they have email left on server, you would expect a few support emails for sure.

i suggest you should setup DA at new box. copy all data from old server to new server. install dovecot at new server and convert mbox to maildir there. since dovecot stores mails to /home/user/imap, please make sure you have enough space in your /home partition.

All your users will pop all their old mails again after the mbox->maildir conversion if they have email left on server, you would expect a few support emails for sure.

I have been pulling my hair out all day (whats left of it)
I have the same issue and nothings working
I am moving a client from an older DA install to a new one that I built using custombuild (the old server was built with customapache).
When I do a backup on old server then extract onto new, all the users email accounts have vanished
the dirs /home/usr/imap/domain.com are empty after I restore
I tried your method will-lo, and that didn't work
I updated the old server to dovecot then tried again...still no users in the domain dir.
I synced the imap directory over so the files were on the new server, but still nada.
This is a major concern, because I am dealing with 100's of domains with god knows how many email accounts.
Can someone point me in the right direction please, before I become a chrome dome due to lack of hair....*sigh*

Last edited:
ok...its a permissions problem, the restore wont do user passwds, databases and email accounts.
Trying again, but this time I am backing up to the user_backup dir in admin.....I'm sure thats what it was :D

ok...its a permissions problem, the restore wont do user passwds, databases and email accounts.
Trying again, but this time I am backing up to the user_backup dir in admin.....I'm sure thats what it was :D

Was this the solution?

I'm setting up a new server, have to backup/restore old users to the new (cureently no dovecot), but on the new server I will be using it.

Back