More DNS-zone control

ClayRabbit

Verified User
Why we are unable to edit SOA record? (To define right email, for example)

Why we are unable to edit TTL of the records? (Sometimes it's useful to change TTL. For example, reduce it before moving site to another IP or server.)

Why we are unable to edit MX-record fully? I mean, we need all 3 fields (not 2) editable.
Because sometimes we need to add MX record for subdomain.
subdomain1 IN MX 10 mail.server1.com.
subdomain2 IN MX 10 mail.server2.com.

Similar for NS-records. We need ability to specify NS records for subdomains. (Luckily it's easy to implement by small changes in skin files.)

Why we are unable to edit TXT-record? (So user can't change spf-configuration of his domain.)

DA - great control panel (mainly because of template system and custom scripts). But I wondering why so many of it's features are often incomplete or contains baseless restrictions?
Insuficient DNS-control.
File-editing - but without ability to edit .forward *.inc, *.js and custom files.
Work with archives: tgz creation/extraction - but no zip/bzip2 extraction.

Last edited:
Bringing this one back up the list ;)
Is there any possibilty to add the zone TTL and/or TTL per record in the webinterface in future DA releases?

It would indeed be a great improvement if users (or at least admins) can edit SOA records, MX records and the TTL if a domain.

By the way:
In the current released updates of DirectAdmin the TXT-record are already editable as TS requested...

Wish this one too.

Also interesting will be to have several default configurations to choose from, for instance:

- high values / minimum of DNS traffic
- medium "reasonable" default values
- low values / use before DNS changes so they are quickly spread

on each case in would be nice to inform in newbie-readable format how much time will take for eventual changes to spread fully.

Hi DA crew,

Is it possible to add this to the feature requests? (change TTL per record/zone via DA...)

I would like to edit TTL via DA panel instead of editing manually under shell especially I've linked several servers using multi-server setup. Change 1 zone = change N zone. :/

I'll add it to the to-do list. Not sure when I'll get to it though, as it require a fairly hefty code overhaul, depending on how fancy we get with it.
If we have 1 TTL for all A records, then it's not so bad, but a per record TTL setting would need lots of work ;) The SOA stuff should be fairly simple.

John

John, you probably know about this but some other readers may not: There are actually several TTLs in the DNS zone file, but only one is mandatory.

The mandatory one is the one in the SOA record. By default that's used for default TTL for use when a record is not found, and as the default TTL for all records in the zone that don't have their TTL defined some other way.

Then there's the default TTL for all existing zone files. If present it overrides the TTL in the SOA record for ALL existing records that don't have their TTL defined on a per record basis. This isn't mandatory, but if you want to use it you can define it with a $TTL directive at the top of the zonefile.

Finally there's the TTL defined on a per record basis. If it's there, it's used, but it's optional.

And for those who don't know it, the IN field is optional too; it stands for Internet record type, and it's the default. In this case Internet includes lan, wan, and intranet subnets of the Internet. I don't know of anyone actually using any other record type, but the spec is still there.

So, yes, DNS can get a bit complex.

Jeff

I would love to see better zone-control as well. We have a few domains that have MX-records for subdomains pointing to various places, and there is no way of setting that up through the control-panel. It can be done directly in the files from what I understand, and it works, but isn't reflected in the zone-admin. It looks exactly like the normal MX-records for the domain without the host-part.

Why we are unable to edit MX-record fully? I mean, we need all 3 fields (not 2) editable.
Because sometimes we need to add MX record for subdomain.
subdomain1 IN MX 10 mail.server1.com.
subdomain2 IN MX 10 mail.server2.com.

I'd like to second ClayRabbit's request above, I'm running into a problem migrating from H-Sphere where I have a LOT of users with custom configurations, and I'm currently pretty much stuck - unable to move these users over because DA can't do this.

Hi John,

The issue that I'm having specifically isn't about a subdomain (I should have read more carefully when I copied above). The issue is that I can't edit the "value" of an MX record.

Say, for example, I want to do the following:

clientdomain.com 86400 IN MX 10 mail.externaldomain.com

Normally this would point to an A record for mail. or whatever, but in many cases my clients have their own external mail systems, and they need the MX pointed out.

How do I do this?

Back