Move 50 domain aliases to another domain

Spyder01

Verified User
Hi,

I have a server and on that server I'm running DirectAdmin and created a few users. One user is created as reseller and under that I've 2 domains.
One domain has no pointers / aliases and the other one has 50 aliases on it.

Because some changes I need to move all that aliases from domain A to domain B because domain B will be the new one used and where the traffic from all other domains has to go. Some aliases have some extra A records (for mail for example), so deleting them and attaching them to domain B is not an option.

How can I in bulk change all the aliases to the other domain (domain B) without deleting anything?

rename domain A to domain C, rename domain B to domain A, rename domain C to domain B.
move files between domain root-dirs. Of course it will drop emails.
---
another way - edit all confs via SSH and rewrite confs.

I think the risks are high when renaming domains and especially when juggling around like you mentioned. Maybe editing the confs are the best and safest way, but still not sure about it.

It's your choice - I prefer editing confs, I'me spending 85% working time in ssh console :)

I think the risks are high when renaming domains and especially when juggling around like you mentioned. Maybe editing the confs are the best and safest way, but still not sure about it.

Yes, there is risk to mess with configs: email, dns, webserver. So the best way would probably be to:

- backup DNS zones
- move aliases
- restore DNS zones

DNS zones are stored under /var/named/ for RH and /etc/bind/ for Debian/Ubuntu

Back