Move server, fast Letsencrypt SSL change?

Richard G

Verified User
We want to move our customers to another server with DA.
Most of our customers have SSL from Letsencrypt, but not everybody and not every domain.

Since the server has another ip, I presume I have to create new Letsencrypt SSL certificates for these domains

Is there a fast way to do this only for the domains already having Letsencrypt Certificates at this moment? So non-ssl domains/customers are skipped?

When you use admin backup in DirectAdmin to generate a bacup and restore it on another server with DirectAdmin, all domains with SSL certificates get those transferred. You do not need to generate the certificates after the restore, the old certificates is still valid and is restored during backup. It does not matter that there is a new IP, the certificates is for the domains, not for the IP.

Last edited:
Thank you Ditto.
I thought the certificate would also point to the ip, but that is only for the hostname then.
Also I got a bit confused because I read some users moving from cPanel issued all new LE certs, which shouldn't be needed then either if it's domain name and not ip, correct?

It must be different when the backup is generated by cPanel then. I would not know, I have never used cPanel. The only thing I can say for sure, is that the last time (maybe two years ago) I did a server migration from one DirectAdmin server to another, it was not needed to generate new certificates, the old ones was transferred with the backup, and was valid on the new server without any problems.

@Richard G
I'm sorry to bring such an old thread but I really need help with this and I can't find the required info.

I'm preparing for a big move from cPanel to DirectAdmin using the cPanel import feature available in DA.

Are the the SSL certs going to get moved as is with the restore ? Waiting for the DNS propagation period in order to issue new certs for my clients will be a mess.

Are the old certificates will still be valid and fully restored after the move ?

Hello @linkers
I'm sorry I can't help you with that. I did a DA to DA server move.
The moving from cPanel to DA is done differently and there is a seperate script to import cPanel users as you already know.

If i'm not mistaken, the certs need to be re-issued. However as said, I've never worked with the cPanel to DA migration script.
There are some questions about it.

You might want to have a look at this thread.
It's also a bit older but still seems in effect.

Here is a part of it in the docs about converting certs from cPanel to DA:

Back