move website and assign IP question

neorder

Verified User
i've searched this forum but not finding much information on this topic, so how could i do these:

1. move a reseller's website to another reseller(at the same server).

do i just backup that end user, delete it's user name, create the same user name under the 2nd reseller, recover it, also change DNS (this will cause the website down). can i create 1 same user name under each reseller?

2. convert a name based website to an IP based website.

do i just assign IP, or do i need to recreate it with an IP.

thanks.

Hello,

1) That might be a bit tricky, but your method might be the best... Backup the User with the domain, delete the domain, rename the backup to user2.tar.gz (if using the reseller restore). Restore the site and it should be added to the reseller. (where user2 is the name of the Reseller if you're adding it to the Reseller). This will probably change the user.conf file for the Reseller, so you'll want to go through and make sure all settings are the way you want them.

2) If the user you're recreating the domain on already exists, then the setting the IP in the restore page won't do anything. Just go Reseller Panel -> List/Modify Users -> Modify your own user data (if it's the reseller) -> modify username -> and set the new IP (if it isn't already where you want it)

John

2) directly set IP for a user from DA control panel would cause some problems:

such as some visitors will unable to reach the website. and one of the domain (www.hisdomain.com and hisdomain.com) will not work for different visitors from different locations.

one of these domain will show default apache welcome page for users from different locations, funny huh ;)

i know IP change is instant, can i ask how about DNS change? will DirectAdmin change all DNS record according to the new IP automatically, or do i have to edit /var/named/hisdomain.com.db? how long would it be the propagation time?

thanks

Hello,

The dns changes are instant on your server, but propogation times are not. Also, apache changes instantly, so any delayed dns changes will have the incorrect IP being used for apache, thus showing the server page (or a shared IP page). Once they get the new IP, they'll see the correct site. Anywhere from a few hours to a day...depends on the TTL and when their ISP last got the dns record.

John

Back