Moving accounts from old to new box

Remco00

Verified User
Can I expect any problems when moving accounts form a Fedora 3 Apache 1.x box to a new Centos 5 APache 2.x box?

Considering the old version of apache, you might have problems with the scripts running on your host.
You will probabily have a few problems.

Both boxes have PHP 5.x and dovecot installed but not exactly the same versions. I'm planning to make a user backup on the old server and restore the backup on the new server. Would this really give me a lot of problems?

It's even more harder to make any suppositions, than to fix any issues, that might occur. If you enough skilled in Linux administrating, there won't be any serious difficulties.

Some years ago, I've migrated from Apache 1.3 to Apache 2.x on all our servers. All extra Apache modules needed to be recompiled.

Thanks for replying. I know how to configure a DA server. Only thing I want to know if I can just place the backups from the old Fedora server on the new Centos server without problems for the enduser.

It depends. If you move from mod_php to mod_suphp, you'll need to fix premissions. If you move from older PHP version to a newer one, you'll probably say goodbye to some clients, or ask them to update outdated CMS and PHP scripts.

In any case, you'll need more carefully and more oftener learn error logs. Because it's impossible to foresee all issues.

Back