moving site with fpx

nobaloney

NoBaloney Internet Svcs - In Memoriam †
I've got a few sites on Plesk and Cobalt RaQ servers with front page extensions that I'm trying to move to DirectAdmin.

I've tried several times, removing the fpx information, and leaving it in...

I get errors either way.

My most recent error (starting with NO front page extension related stuff at all in the directory tree...

Error setting up your web: Starting install, port: 80.

Any ideas? It's critical that I install these or I lose about ten customers :( .

Jeff

Try deleting all relevant frontpage folders from the directory before attempting to enable the extensions:

from the public_html folder, run

rm -rf _*

then try to install them again.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Try deleting all relevant frontpage folders from the directory before attempting to enable the extensions:

from the public_html folder, run

rm -rf _*

then try to install them again.

John
Here's the exact error as the web-browser reports it, John.

Error executing your request

Details

Error setting up your web: Starting install, port: 80. Error: Unable to create a web at the URL "/" because FrontPage information was unexpectedly encountered beneath the corresponding directory ("/home/azbrit00/domains/azbrit.net/public_html/"). If you are certain that there is no FrontPage web at "/home/azbrit00/domains/azbrit.net/public_html/john", you sho
Unfortunately it's truncated so I don't know what I'm supposed to do :( .

But I presume the problem is that I didn't remove all the _* directories.

I was right; I didn't :( . A find command shows I didn't. So I tried:
Code:
[root@da1 public_html]# rm -Rf _*
[root@da1 public_html]# rm -Rf */_*
[root@da1 public_html]# rm -Rf */*/_*
[root@da1 public_html]# rm -Rf */*/*/_*
and a subsequent find shows that was successful.

However, now I get this from the browser:
Error executing your request

Details

Error setting up your web: Starting install, port: 80.

Got any ideas for me ?

Jeff

Last edited:
After removing all _* directories, try and removing the hidden .htaccess file too.
Code:
rm -rf _*
rm -f .htaccess
Frontpage isn't very fun to work with when you are uploading files manually. For anyone else, my recommendation is to create the domain, enable the extensions, then upload the files through the extensions, so that you arn't fighting with them. This method won't work for everyone, such as webhosts, who don't have local copy of the web, so they'll just have to follow the above steps after uploading the files.

Let me know how that works.

John

That seems to have worked, after I removed all the .htaccess files in the directory path.

I'm going to contact the client I'm testing with, and have him try to use FPX to upload, download, change, etc., his site.

That'll be a good test :) .

Jeff

I've still not reached the client, but I'm afraid I may still be at risk for losing him...

Please take a look at "http://www.azbrit.net/"; preferably in I.E., where it seems to work properly (it does _not_ seem to work on Netscape).

Then if you would, add the following line to your hosts file:

65.58.243.36 www.azbrit.net

and restart your browser and try it again.

The second time you'll be looking at it on the new DA system.

Note that the java isn't working. I've checked his code, and it's java script, which leads me to believe it's an issue with some kind of permissions or extensions.

Or it could have been some special code in one of those _* directories we deleted.

It's out of my area of expertise, though.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Could you just ask your client to upload his content to the DA server instead of tranfering the content from your other server?
Asumming your client has the content on his/her computer?

Good luck and I hope you don't lose any clients over this.
-Jason

Jason, that's my last choice.

I know of at least one of my FPX clients who edits on our server, though, so it's not always possible.

Fortunately I have mostly wholesale clients who rent entire systems from me, and very few retail clients to move to DA.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
I know there is a way to download your entire site to your computer using the fronpage program.
Do you have frontpage?

I have done this before the only problem is that it doesn't download was the FrontPage themes. If the sites are not using a theme, then this may be the way to go. You could als perhaps download the theme if you needed to with ftp and then uppload the themes to the new DA server. Give me a minute and I will try and figure it out. -Jason

Using FrontPage 2000:

Click file > New >> Web
Then click Import Web Wizard
And you will see the wizard directions.

Important note when uploading FrontPage to DA is you need to include the (www.) This messed me up the first time I tried it.

-Jason

jdlitson said:
Hi Jeff,
I know there is a way to download your entire site to your computer using the fronpage program.
Do you have frontpage?
I don't think they make it for Linux :( .

This could be the way to go though...

I have done this before the only problem is that it doesn't download was the FrontPage themes. If the sites are not using a theme, then this may be the way to go.
How do I know if they've used themes or not?

If I use FP2000 does this mess them up if they use an earlier version? How about if they use a later version?

Thanks.

Jeff

You will usually see a _themes folder on their home dir, or when you download it to your PC, the site won't look the way it did on the server.
(example) Buttons might not show up, the colors and fonts might change. Is what FP themes does is allows the designer to set default nav buttons, location banners, colors, fonts, etc.
All these elements can be manully tranfered.

Now as far as versions go. You have nothing to loose. It's so easy to do. If it doesn't work properly then you can just delete it. You could download it with frontpage and upload with frontpage it to a test location on your FP enabled test site. If you need a test location let me know and I will set one up for you on my server.

One thing to note though is if your clients have any scripts like PHP, .pl, .cgi, etc. then you will need to manually transfer these.

Hello,

This is just a note for anyone trying to enable frontpage *after* files have been added to their account that .htacces files must not exist in *any* subfolders, as frontpage searches them before it's willing to enable the extensions.

John

jdlitson said:
Now as far as versions go. You have nothing to loose. It's so easy to do. If it doesn't work properly then you can just delete it. You could download it with frontpage and upload with frontpage it to a test location on your FP enabled test site. If you need a test location let me know and I will set one up for you on my server.
Thanks for the offer; I've got lots of space on this new server :) .
One thing to note though is if your clients have any scripts like PHP, .pl, .cgi, etc. then you will need to manually transfer these.
Which gets me back to my original point that there's no way to just automatically move these sites and have them work.

Thanks for your analysis.

It's made the decision for me. Since there's so much that could be missed or go wrong, or cause problems for the client, I'm just going to get the clients involved in moving all the FP sites themselves.

I know this isn't a limitation of DA, and it's probably time to stop beating the horse :) .

Just another reason why many of us don't like FP.

Jeff

DirectAdmin Support said:
This is just a note for anyone trying to enable frontpage *after* files have been added to their account that .htacces files must not exist in *any* subfolders, as frontpage searches them before it's willing to enable the extensions.
The last thing I'm going to try this morning is turning on FPX for the site while it's empty, then delete all the files in the public directory and replace it the contents from the other server. Then turn FP off and then on again, and see if the site works properly.

If that doesn't work, I give up and get the clients involved; I'd like to have the sites all moved today if possible.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Jeff

In "delayed" mode; I hope to get things done this weekend.

I've left the fpx and the database-driven sites for last.

Jeff

jdlitson said:
If you need help let me know.
Thanks; if I need some help (and I may) I will.

I've been completely down so far all weekend since 7 am Saturday (PDT).

My W2K desktop system at home started getting a bit flakey (it's uptime was in the over-a-week category) so I rebooted it and it never came up. I tested everything, including new memory, exchanged processor, restoring the BIOS to defaults (using the board jumper) and even swapped the bios with another hardware compatible system (just in case there'd been a bios-destroying virus in my system, which I doubt because I'm behind a good firewall).

It wouldn't run.

So I went to Frys and bought a replacement MB/Processor combo (same manufacturer, slightly newer model board). While I was at it, I got a 512 DDR stick.

That was the mistake. I could boot and run Linux Drives but I could not boot and run my W2k hard drive.

I decided to create a new W2k drive and put it in as a second drive and read (and perhaps copy over) the data. Lo and behold my two sets of W2k (both Pro and AS) couldn't even find my hardware. (Remember, I could run and build Linux fine on this system.) I went to sleep last night frustrated and angry.

This morning I swapped out that 512 DDR stick for the two 256 M sticks in my original system (not DDR).

Voila! Everything works.

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all :eek: .

Jeff

new problem moving fpx sites...

I'm still having problems moving fpx sites... I followed John's instructions and got this error:

Error setting up your web: Starting install, port: 80. Creating web http://www.elecdevices.com. Chowning Content in service /.

I need to finish moving some fpx sites by the end of this month (tomorrow) as I have to take the (Cobalt RaQ4) server they're on out of service or renumber it and move it to another cabinets. I'd like to get these sites moved today.

Anyone?

Jeff

Back