Multiple domains, different email problems

companyou

Verified User
Hi all,

For a few days now, my clients have problems with their email.
They are all on the same server (however, there are also other accounts on that server with no problems).

The installation of DA is almost default. Only added a manual route to exim (some client has an exchange server on port 2025).

The strangest thing however is that my clients have different email problems with the same effect.

Some of my clients can't email to or receive email from the ziggo isp. But others can.
Those clients that can't get the following error:
2013-01-28 15:02:18 Received from [email protected] H=54181124.cm-5-1a.dynamic.ziggo.nl (Asus) [84.24.17.36] P=esmtpa A=login:[email protected] S=2715 [email protected] T="test"
2013-01-28 15:02:25 SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<[email protected]> SIZE=3823: host mx.gn.mail.iss.as9143.net [212.54.34.8]: 451 Temporary local problem - please try later
2013-01-28 15:02:25 SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<[email protected]> SIZE=3823: host mx.tb.mail.iss.as9143.net [212.54.42.8]: 451 Temporary local problem - please try later
2013-01-28 15:02:25 [email protected] R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (-45): SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<[email protected]> SIZE=3823: host mx.tb.mail.iss.as9143.net [212.54.42.8]: 451 Temporary local problem - please try later

This 451 is also the most common error in the mail log. And it also happens with a few other domains.

I also have a customer that gets another problem.
One of my clients get this error:
Sender address rejected: Domain not found
When sending to an email address provided by euphony. This last one is strange as the domain does exist?

I have already tried a couple of things.
Restarted exim, named and the whole server.
Tried recreating an email adres.
Tried moving to a different server (solved some email problems).

My setup is a default DA setup with 2 external DA nameservers (multiserver setup).

Thanks for helping,
Erik Maas

Hello,

Is that server with IP 212.54.42.8 yours? If not, then that remote server must be having temporary local problem.

You might need to use exigrep to gather all the the lines related to one email, so it could be more easily read.

The ip is not related to a server of mine.
But to one of the ziggo isp.

I have contacted them, and they told me there is nothing wrong with their servers. But that it is my server that has a dns problem.

They also gave me a link to test:

http://www.dnsqueries.com/en/domain_check.php

This link indeed shows there is something wrong.
But i don't know what.

Also if i check a different site on the same server:
companyou.eu

There is nothing wrong.

Even stranger is the fact that if i use other services to test my server, like mxtoolbox.com, dnssy.com or network-tools.com, that they can't find any problem with the server...

Not sure what it might be, but for further investigation more logs should be read and examined.

You really should use exigrep in order to put together all relevant lines so we could see all the log lines of one email which failed to get delivered. Please read this http://www.cs.vassar.edu/cgi-bin/man/man2html?exigrep+8 for more details on how to use it.

Or, you might need to hire somebody to do the job for you (here are some guys as well as me available for this kind of a job).

Well, i found out with the tools listed above that it might not be an email problem. But more like a dns problem.

Maby the DA multi server setup doesn't work correctly in all cases?
I solved the problem for most domains. But 1 domain still has the same problem.

What i did was:
- Add the running server as a nameserver
- Add the 2 other nameservers zo /etv/resolv.conf

You'd better have public DNS servers in /etv/resolv.conf, not your own DNS servers.

I had my providers dns servers in that file.
And now i added mine to them. So...

Also i solved the problem by adding a third nameserver to my domains.
This nameserver is the server they are running on now.

So, i gues there is something wrong with my dns servers?

User zEitEr already mentioned you shouldn't have your own DNS servers in the list. You should only have public cacheing nameservers in the list. Your own nameserver, on your hosting system(s) should only be authoritative.

Jeff

Back