multiple domains, email

lnguyen

Verified User
A user has multiple domains w/ login Bob. By default, DA will create [email protected].

Can Bob check these accounts individually? log in [email protected], [email protected]?

It seems that you can't. And if you just log in w/ the username Bob, it will grab mail from ALL the domains. I take it the only way around this would be to use a username that you'd never use for email?

Thanks
Linh

That applies for even a single domain as well?

It seems a bit misleading since DA creates a default email of [email protected].

So basically the only way to make use of it would be to forward the mail instead?

Continuing your example...

If bob is your username for the site, then there is a user bob.

And user bob has a mailbox.

Which can be logged into as bob.

Not [email protected], but just bob.

Confusing, I know.

That's why when we build accounts we use a username unlikely to be wanted for a mail address... We generally use the first eight characters of the website name as the website user if possible.

Jeff

I see. Hrm... it would seem as tho no mail to the main accounts work, it's all getting rejected. Yet any other account works fine.

Any quick suggestions on what to look for?

Thanks
Linh

I have found that exim doesn't work well at all with 'multiple domains' in a virtual domain scenario. I have spent the last two nights up late working on converting my orginal (perfectly working) sendmail mail server to use exim. I must say I am extremely disappointed.

Perhaps DA will consider other mail servers as well since exim doesn't have the need to support virtual mail access for same usernames.

Heres what I posted to exim users, maybe someone here can help too...

I recently switched from sendmail. I have set up exim in using virtual domains added by a control panel. I have everything working except from what I've noticed, exim checks for 'local users" before it checks for "virtual users".

in sendmail, i was able to use virtual data (virtusertable) to send email out simply by adding them to the list. Then sendmail would check the email based on virtual users first and then local users. exim seems to be checking for local users and if there is a local user, it will send it to them with out looking to virtual users

Basically i have mydomain.com added to exim's 'domains' file which counts for local-domains
and relays in /etc/virtual/mydomain.com/aliases i have an entry for [email protected]:
[email protected]. When i send an email to [email protected] I would think exim would forward it to [email protected] but it doesnt and its just sending it to a local user

So my guess is that exim is basically checking for local users first and then virutal users second. Is there a way to change this so "[email protected]" and "[email protected]" can still be forwarded to seperate people even if there domain is local to the mailserver?

Also, if anyone has some sample configurations I could use that work with exim4, please send :)
I can send you all my current config if you have ideas or suggestions.

Thanks in advanced!

Back