My DNS?

Let's try to get this resolved once and for all...

First of all, for sky,we're not looking for ns1.goetic.fr and for ns2.goetic.fr, but rather for dns1.goetic.fr and for dns2.goetic.fr, because those are the nameservers being used by tonserveur.com. This little difference, overlooked many times in previous posts to this thread, is the cause of the difficulty.

sky does have records for ns1.goetic.from and for ns2.goetic.fr, but not for dns1.goetic.fr and not for dns2.gnoetic.fr.

So sky needs to set up a records for both dns1.goetic.fr and dns2.goetic.fr, and then notify the registrar to register them as nameservers.

Second, for fusionictnl:

Your two sets of examples are functionally exactly the same; one will work exactly as the other.

Jeff

Thx for your reply :)
When you say :
set up a records for both dns1.goetic.fr and dns2.goetic.fr

Do you mean i should create a A dns1 and dns2 with ip 1 and ip 2 ?

Now, i have this :
clients A 195.140.143.75
demo A 195.140.143.75
dns1 A 195.140.143.75
dns2 A 195.140.143.77
ftp A 195.140.143.75
goetic.fr. A 195.140.143.75
mail A 195.140.143.75
ns1 A 195.140.143.75
ns2 A 195.140.143.77
www A 195.140.143.75
www.clients A 195.140.143.75
www.demo A 195.140.143.75
goetic.fr. NS ns1.goetic.fr.
goetic.fr. NS ns2.goetic.fr.
mail MX 10

Im not shure its that you mean?
Sry :(
Sky

Hello,

goetic.fr is being controlled by ns1/ns2.amen.fr .. totally different server. Have to be added there, or else use another ns that is already working on the DA server.

John

Just saw it when doing a dig on ns1.goetic.fr his server:

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
goetic.fr. 6977 IN NS ns2.amen.fr.
goetic.fr. 6977 IN NS ns1.amen.fr.

Sorry for my misunderstanding of ns/dns :s

Well, im sry, you all seem to understand, but i dont understand at all :(
Im suppose to add the nameserver at amen.fr ok?
When i do it, it says that he cant resolv the ns1 and ns2 ...

Thx
Sky

The ip config shoud be like this , :
195.140.143.75 server 9 ns1.goetic.fr 255.255.255.0
195.140.143.77 shared admin 0 ns2.goetic.fr 255.255.255.0

?

Just to keep you all in touch :)
Only the registrar can change the nameserver information for .fr domains.

It should be done today normaly :)
If another french guy ask this question, whe will knwo what to do next time :)

For .com/.net/.org, its very simple, just as you all said, but NOT .fr lol

Thx for your time and all, the server is just about up and working ;)

Sky

Well, after all this nonses, amen.fr reply that they cant change the nameservers as long as there is this fatl error :

f> [TEST loopback is resolvable]: server failure (IN/PTR: 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.)
=> ns1.goetic.fr./195.140.143.75
=> ns2.goetic.fr./195.140.143.77

The complet error report is :

ZONE : goetic.fr.
NS <= : ns1.goetic.fr. [195.140.143.75]
NS : ns2.goetic.fr. [195.140.143.77]
w> IP addresses are likely to be all on the same subnet
=> generic

w> Can't find reverse for the nameserver IP address

w> [TEST loopback delegation]: server failure (IN/SOA: 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.)

f> [TEST loopback is resolvable]: server failure (IN/PTR: 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.)

==> FAILURE (and 5 warning(s))

How can i resolv the problem that the "TEST loopback is resolvable" ?

Well, lets start again, i whas missing you all :)

Thx,
Sky

sky said:
Should i create 2 mx domains, (ex, 1 mx10, and 1 mx20), or, should i just create 1 ...
At the risk of becoming confusing I'm going to point out that your MX records don't point to domains, they point to two services, "pop" and "mail" on your tonserveur.com domain.
The dns check says that 2 is confusing and waste ressources,
It's not confusing to me to see it, but I believe you're confused in doing it. And under some circumstances it can waste resources.

Let's look at an example:

I want to send you an email, so I send it to [email protected].

The "resolver" built in to my email server needs to know the IP# to use to send the email, so it checks DNS. It looks for any MX records first (if it didn't find any it would then look for any A records).

It finds two MX records so my mailserver first tries to send the email to the IP# in the lower "cost" (i.e., lower numbered) record first. In your case the IP# is 195.140.143.75.

So it tries to send the email to the server on port 25 (that's the standard smtp (mail) port listening at 195.140.143.75.

Now let's say your server, for some unknown reason, isn't responding (is "down").

Since the resolver returned two MX records, my mailserver will then try the IP# pointed to by the next higher cost (20 is higher than 10) email server.

However, since the two IP#s are the same all you've gained with two MX records is to make my mailserver try yours twice. You can't get the email because your server isn't working, so why should I have to try twice?

So it's my resources you're wasting; you're not being a good neighbor. While most of us are willing to accept mail from you even though you're not being a good neighbor, this kind of error can get you listed at rfc-ignorant.org, and there are a few mailservers out there who will refuse to even try to send email to you; if anyone tries to send email to you through those mailservers they'll get a message back that says the email is undeliverable.
and another says that i need more than 1 ...[/qoute]
I don't see where it says you need more than one, only that you have two and it tested two; perhams I'm missing something.

However there aren't many good reasons to have multiple MX records, and there are some good reasons to not have multiple MX records.

Here's a short history of mail deliery issues over the years:

Before there was TCP/IP (it's the name of the protocol the Internet uses; from now on in this post we'll just call it "the Internet") there were lots of other ways to deliver mail (and in fact, of all the mail servers in current usage, sendmail still knows how to deliver by all those other methods; the others just stick to delivering email over the Internet.

Those non-Internet ways to deliver email were literally costly (which is where the term "cost" comes from when referring to MX records); they required automated telephone calls between computers.

Those telephone calls were charged by call-length (similarly to how many people pay for long-distance calls today) and call distance (calls over longer distances cost more than calls to nearby areas (this model has all but been abandoned by most telephone companies for calls within the same country).

The least costly way to send an email was to send it to the mailserver closest to it's final destination; usually the email server where the user would actually read his/her emailt (the system actually predates POP clients; people needed an account on the server to read their email).

But if that server wasn't available for some reason (perhaps, like some people we know, it was too busy to answer the phone) it made more economic sense to get the email as close as possible to the destination server. So if there were multiple MX (it stands for "Mail Exchange) servers available for the domain, it would try to send the email to the next higher cost server.

Why? Because doing so could mean (if the second server was working) only one more phone call; only one more try, rather than lots of phone calls and lots of tries. (Note that it wouldn't necessarily be higher cost for the sender, but a higher total cost, since the second MX server would have to keep trying to send it to the main MX server.)

Yes, now the second MX server has to keep trying, but usually one entity (company?) would own or control both servers, or else the two would have a mutual agreement to spend the extra money to help each other get their email.

In the early days of TCP/IP we actually paid for the number of bytes we sent, so the cost model continued for some time; long enough for multiple MX records to be established in the mindset of most administrators of that time. (We'd want to send the email within as few tries as possible.)

Now most of us no longer have an economic incentive.

And running a second mailserver for most of us has actually become a liability, in that the additional nameservers don't know who the actual end recipients are, so they must accept email for all email addresses at the domain.

Then they keep trying to deliver to the lowest cost MX record until they can, or until their retry times (coded into the mailserver) have been exceeded, when they try to return the undeliverable mail.

Note they may also end up with undeliverable email because when the primary mailserver does start answering again, it will tell the second mailserver that no account exists for a given email address.

Either way, the second server must now try to return the email, and if (usually in the case of spam) it can't because the return address isn't valid, that email is stock on that mailserver's queue (often in enough quantity to severely impact it's effectiveness) until the delivery retry times have again been exceeded.

Note that this explanation is vastly oversimplified, and that there are some reasons to have MX records for backup mail servers. However, in the circumstances of a single server receiving email for a small hosting company, a second MX record is not necessary and does waste resources.
I have now a pop mx 20 and a mail mx 10 ...
Should i just use a mail mx 10 ?
I'd say yes.

Jeff

Back