my server rejecting all incomming emails

max2000

Verified User
Hello

Hope someone can help me here. I tried everything before writing.

My server is refusing all incomming emails. People can send emails, my all emails sent to them are bounced with this error message:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
(ultimately generated from [email protected])
Unrouteable address

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

The customer email address is valid ([email protected]), the hostname (myhostname.com) is valid too and resolves to an ip (on another server tough)

If you have an idea, it is more than welcome.

Thank you

After some tests, I would like to add this to my previous post:

the server doesn't refuse all emails, but all emails directed to the main customer's email address.

If the customer has customer1 as Direct Admin user name and domain1.com as domain, so:

[email protected] can not longer receive email, but it can still send emails.

All other emails created by the customer work.

Thank you for your help.

I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Started resently. Anyone else?

The problem seems to occur with only some of the clients, and only the main email address [email protected]

All other email addresses work fine.

C.

Yes, didn't find any additional information that ment anything to me, but it may be of use to you experts:

[email protected] <[email protected]> F=<[email protected]>: Unrouteable address
2005-09-21 12:59:25 1EI8sO-0007ho-Vy => userName <[email protected]> F=<[email protected]> R=virtual_user T=virtual_localdelivery S=1487

dot2me.com is the main domain on the server. I'm not sure why the ltsv-560 (server hostname) part is being included here.

Anyway, things has been working fine and there is about 60 users and many more domains on the server, and the mail system in general seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the info.

No manual entries has been made to our /etc/virtual/domain file, so I hestitate to start editing without someone directly suggesting it.

In any case if that file is messed up, there must be a bug i DA somewhere, because I have only been setting up the domains in the normal fashion.

Went through the checklist, and checked the files, but still getting the same error. Seems to be only a single user, though.

when I went trough the check list and made some changes, the problem was still there in the following minutes then, an hour or so later, it desapeared!

charliez,

While I can understand your reticence to post real email addresses here, I can't test without something real to test for.

So the best bet is for you to test.

From your server, as any user, try the following command:

$ exim -bh 12.34.56.78

replacing 12.34.56.78 with a known IP# that doesn't work.

Then run the complete smtp dialogue yourself and look over the exim output where the email is refused.

Here are basic commands once exim has responded to the above command:

ehlo host.example.com

where host.example.com is the hostname that matches the IP# you used.

mail from:<[email protected]>

where [email protected] should be replaced a real return email address.

rcpt to:<[email protected]>

where [email protected] should be replaced by the address that doesn't work.

Don't forget the < and > symbols.

We highly recommend the book: "EXIM The Exim SMTP Mail Server" book, published by UIT Cambridge. It's written by the same person who wrote Exim.

Jeff

>with a known IP# that doesn't work.
>(...)host.example.com is the hostname that matches the IP# you used

How do I find an IP with a host name that doesn't work?

In this case, the domain as such work and:

[email protected]
[email protected]

etc all work fine. Only

[email protected]

doesn't work.

Thanks for all help, by the way. The email address in question is [email protected] (I'll be removing this from this post later as it's not my own email).

Last edited:
When I try to send email to that address, it works fine.

First I do a dig to find out the mx (mail server) address:

$ dig dig nedjo.com mx

and I get the return:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
nedjo.com. 14400 IN MX 10 mail.nedjo.com.

So then I pretend I'm a mailserver:

$ telnet mail.nedjo.com 25

and then do a standard email exchange:

ehlo of1.sb.nobaloney.net
mail from:<[email protected]>
rcpt to:<[email protected]>

and the mail server returns:

250 Accepted

Which means it did accept email for the address.

So I suggest checking your logs (I did this a few minutes ago and you should be able to find this in your logs).

I didn't actually send the email; I quit right after I got the Accepted message.

So the mail is being accepted by your server.

Perhaps you should try sending mail from your system, and trace it through the system in your logs.

Notice I used xxxxx instead of the real email address; you can go ahead and delete it.

Jeff

Back