Mysql or Mariadb better layout on commands?

Richard G

Verified User
Hello.

We've got 2 Centos 6 server with Mysql 5.5.x on it.
When i do a check on the present engines, it looks very nice like this on both servers:
showengines1.png

We also have a Centos 7 server with MariaDB 10.0.38 and doing the same command it looks messy like this:
showengines2.png

As far as I know, the terminal settings for all servers are the same.

Is there any way I can clean this up so the output of the command would look nicely, the same as on the Centos 6 servers?

Which resolution? I use SecureCRT to login to all my servers, which is a program like Putty. All connections are setup exactly the same.

The command you say, gives a vertical output and gives "error, no query specified".

How can I adjust resolutions so things are the same?

OK, I meant that your terminal is not wide enough (in number of characters). My suggestion to increase the resolution was to eventually make your screen bigger, therefore allowing more characters on it.

Let me give you an example. The first picture is with narrow terminal and produces the issue that you said. The second one is wide enough and can handle the whole table. It's the same terminal - I just resized the window in the width a bit.

1.png

2.png

The mysql (mariadb) command line client is text-based - therefore it cannot zoom-in or out when it goes out of screen. If you have a screen with 100 characters and you want to display a line of text (string ending with \n\r at the end for new line) with 120 characters, the extra 20 must go on the next line.

My suggestion to increase the resolution was to eventually make your screen bigger,
Ah I see, my screenshots confused you. These were region taken screenshots, not whole screenshots. There is a lot of screen left to fit things in on the right side.

As said before, all my settings are exactly the same on all Securecrt terminal windows, so that's why I'm wondering why the mysql output would not display correctly on this Centos 7 with Mariadb while for example Midnight Commander is. And on both Centos 6 servers with Mysql it is displaying correctly.
I don't understand the difference, unless MariaDB or Centos 7 is sending some other instructions to my terminal window.

I even tried using 130 characters wide, but it stays exactly the same. It seems dynamically cut off, but I just don't understand why it's so much wider on this Centos 7 server. Why it needs so much more space, while Total Commander for example is the same on every server. It's only the Mariadb output.

However, if I try with Putty, I do get an output, but that is a lot wider like in your 2nd screenshot, while the output of the Centos 6 servers nicely fit. That's what's confusing me.
Or is there a difference in text output between Mysql and Mariadb?

Anyway, it looks like some issue with the terminal program anyway, so I send an email to van Dyke support. Let's see if they can fix this or how I can set that resolution correctly.
Because changing the amount of columns and some other settings did not help.

Last edited:
Looks like the comments contain more text which forces the comment-section wider and push the lines to a new line.
There's probably some hardcoded max.number of characters per line defined somewhere that causes the CR-break in the lines.

Hello BBM.

Thank you. Yes I also started to get that idea. Wich is odd, because there is room enough for more text, so it should not be needed to push them to a new line or cause CR-break.
Putty does not do that either and displays correctly instantly without having to change things, like Wattie also showed in his screenshots.

Luckily Van Dyke is very quick with support, so they are already e-mailing with me and testing what could be causing this issue.

Right, support pointed me to the correct place to change the setting.:)

When doublechecking MariaDB indeed shows more information then Mysql does, which does result in a wider display. So that's the reason of the difference in display width.

The resolution in SecureCRT is not called resolution but "rows and columns", so not being native English, I thought this might be something else. However, it was not possible for me to change it wider then 132 colums.
Reason for this, was that there is also a "default" setting in the Global Options, which should normally be set to 256 columns by default, but in my case 132, hence the reason I could not set it wider under in the session options.

Now when changing the global option, I can also change the session option to 150 or 170 or whatever with a max. of 256 which should fix the display.
So problem solved.

Thank you both for thinking with me and pointing me in the right direction.

Columns = number of characters per row.

In PuTTy there is no such limit. It displays as many characters that can fit in the window. I think that's much better solution than hardcoding it.

In SecureCRT there is no limit either. The limit is just a feature, which is adjustable. And that works very nice in some situations.
Don't judge until you tried. It's not cheap but it has great support and way so many more functions and possibility's then Putty, makes working a lot easier, especially when running multiple servers and even at the same time, or for comparison.
You should test the trial version some time. ;)

Back