New cPanel Pricing affecting 2022, what will DirectAdmin do?

Pacific Spirit

Verified User
Dear Members,

I was always a trusted cPanel user, but since the beginning of 2021 I switched to DirectAdmin purely to reduce costs, I received another e-mail from them last week that they will increase their prices again as of January 1, 2022. Is my question what DirectAdmin will do because if cPanel keep increasing their prices more and more people will switch to DirectAdmin, but DirectAdmin will remain on their fixed prices as they then made an announcement on the forum. ARTICLE: https://forum.directadmin.com/threa...-1-2019-no-we-arent-raising-our-prices.58091/

cPanel Pricing Structure - 2022: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/174155/new-cpanel-pricing-2022-edition - https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1857829 - https://hostedtalk.net/t/cpanel-new-pricing-edition-2022/6505 - https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/3387/new-cpanel-price-notification-2022

Can a DirectAdmin owner or a staff say that DirectAdmin make a promise to not raising their prices?

DA will not increase prices for regular licenses, but they introduced new features for additional cost (like ProPack) so you can decide what fits you more. Earlier when DA team decided to stop selling Lifetime licenses - they give us more than 6 months to buy them as more as we want.
So DA shows their loyalty each time :)

but they introduced new features for additional cost (like ProPack)
Mostly this also are just exising features, but then in a nice and easy GUI. Most of the features can be also used without Pro pack, but without GUI.

You can read in older threads that if possible, DA won't raise prices (but one never can say never) and like @Zhenyapan says, they show their loyalty each time. And they are the only panel out there which presented a cheap version for hobbyists and small business (the personal license).
You have to be an admin though, it's not always click and play stuff like CP, which also explaines it's a lot cheaper. ;)

Well cPanel has said years ago that they will never increased their prices. But it is happend now for the 3rd time. I would like that DA won’t increase the pricing. So a real ”no price increase for the next 10 years at least” 😊

But it is happend now for the 3rd time.
CP has been taken over by Oakley in august 2018. In 2019 you've seen the first price change. Mostly if a takeover happens, pricing will change.

In the 13 years I use DA, they -never- did a price change. They only had to do a licensing change when so many CP users came over. In fact if you really take a very narrow look, it would mean a price change for lifetime license holders, because they have to pay for ticket support now.
However, CP (and others) totally removed there lifetime licenses, DA announced it and gave us the chance to buy some more before they closed the option.

So a real ”no price increase for the next 10 years at least” :)
Well.... just for fun I wouls also like to hear the answer of DA. But even if there is a price increase, it will never be as idiotic as CP did. And let's be fair.... how many times did you increase prices for your customers in 14 years? Is it fair to expect from any business/company not to change prices in like 25 years? ;)

CP has been taken over by Oakley in august 2018. In 2019 you've seen the first price change. Mostly if a takeover happens, pricing will change.

In the 13 years I use DA, they -never- did a price change. They only had to do a licensing change when so many CP users came over. In fact if you really take a very narrow look, it would mean a price change for lifetime license holders, because they have to pay for ticket support now.
However, CP (and others) totally removed there lifetime licenses, DA announced it and gave us the chance to buy some more before they closed the option.

Well.... just for fun I wouls also like to hear the answer of DA. But even if there is a price increase, it will never be as idiotic as CP did. And let's be fair.... how many times did you increase prices for your customers in 14 years? Is it fair to expect from any business/company not to change prices in like 25 years? ;)
To be honest, since the switch CP to DA I haven't increase them, infact I just have descrease the pricing for my customers. The last year 2020 I asked €3.09/mo excl. 21% VAT for cPanel hosting, since the migration to DirectAdmin I was able to downgrade the price to €1 excl. 21% VAT. This sounds like funny rumour but infact is it true. I try to be one of the cheapest hosting company to be.

I try to be one of the cheapest hosting company to be.
That's nice, however I don't know when you switched from CP to DA. I was talking about the last 13 years. But it's nice that you even downgraded prices. However, you don't have to do development with hosting. That's different with a company like DA.

It has been debated many times if price guarantees are even worth anything. Let's say the US dollar becomes worthless and you have a 10-year price guarantee. Hooray! You now have free licenses, because we must accept worthless currency from you -- right?

Wrong. The monthly term of the licenses means we would drop you as a customer when the license renews. Sorry, we can't afford to have you as a customer. You cannot force us to sell to you, just as we cannot force you to buy from us. All of a sudden, you realize your "guarantee" is worthless.

If price stability is vital to you, there is already a solution. :) We do not limit how far you can prepay a license. So you could certainly prepay 10 years (or more) and have a legal, contractual guarantee of price this way.

What will DirectAdmin do?
My guess is JBMC Software will benefit from cPanel's price increases. As far as making money, JBMC Software will do whatever makes sense. cPanel's previous owners had a number in mind of what cPanel's value was based on future revenue potential. cPanel's new owners were betting it was higher than what the previous owners thought it was and was willing to pay that else there would be no point in cPanel's previous owners selling or the new owners buying. Of course either could be wrong. The new owners then raise the price on cPanel. They take in more revenue per license but that does not necessarily translate into more revenue or net income. So let's assume the new owners paid the right price. They are in dominant market position, and it might make perfect sense from a revenue standpoint and it's a great product name. Plesk earned its keep because it was the only good CP that can do Linux and Windows. cPanel could never do Windows or FreeBSD well. However, such moves will always benefit those in not such a dominant position such as DirectAdmin. The very shaking up of the market gets people to look around. That amounts to free mind-share, courtesy of a competitor. JBMC might want to put up a skin that looks like cPanel, and the way DirectAdmin is layered, be more intuitive to admins, resellers, and users than WHM + cPanel. cPanel actions are much less direct that DirectAdmin's and if you get it into people's hands, they may find cPanel annoying. The only thing that needs to happen is for DirectAdmin is to an alternative at a couple big hosters after which others won't be able to afford not not offer it as an options. Maybe they can start with someone like Digital Ocean and a few YouTube videos like Plesk did.

My 2 cents.
DA is great
DA need still though lot of docs / help are updated easy up to date documentation.

And the Updates problems / bugs or 100% succes need 1 simple place to find those if there are. ( for now you have to search to much on different places to find yes no problems.

There are tickets , there is are changelogs , there is this support forum and maybe more , should be or one place or at least kind of easy to find cross links if searching looking for help after a update goes wrong, or errors, or warnings , also upfront as possible.

Maybe a overview of which updates how many with OS and versions and other important informations did succeeded without problems , and if errors warning which and howto solve.

OK: STABLE must be stable somehow , uh . ;)

I myself don't like ticket systems ( ok if s.o.s s.o.s please help) ;) , where you have supportforum , where everybody should be able to read and get help, but therefore it is important if tickets are get to solutions the answers solutions needed in this forum to. ( not only posted by that custommers trying to write how DA support solved) but a post from DA Support or @scriptkitty could be very nice extra touch. ;) )

Evolving quality i think , you can reach both, less Support time needed so more time to spend on .. or even no need to rise prices , and yes some evolving and also inflation and other stuff then prices need to rise , while otherwise a dying system.

For all of the Users is it a idea to have a kind of real S.O.S. Ticket system , so one if needed on the fly direct then yes to pay extra for that extra quick support. Sorry if not needed while support is quick for license ... i don't have all support options in my head now and is late.

But there is a chance to take over DA to cpanel group. i think already they started the discussion...

Prices will be increased at some point. But please don’t be idiotic like cPanel I.e users based pricing they have. It’s so hard to keep track and manage plans. Leave it to unlimited accounts and increase for that.

DA has always been fair, had no price raises at least 13 years, gave opportunity to buy more lifetime licenses when they announced stopping the sale of these license, created (als only prof. panel) a cheap personal license.
So it's likely that at some point they will raise prices, but very unlikely they will do an idiotic price raise like CP did.

i think already they started the discussion.
Where did you hear this rumor? I very much doubt this is true.
However, if it would be, and they would be taken over, it will be at a very good price for Jelsoft, which is very good for the DA owners. It's their business, so if that would be the case you can't blame them (or do anything against it) anyway.

Where did you hear this rumor?
Maybe hmaddy just knows there are discussions going on with Directadmin's owners before the DirectAdmin's owners know it themselves. Rumors need to start somewhere, why not with hmaddy? (tic)

Last edited:
Can a DirectAdmin owner or a staff say that DirectAdmin make a promise to not raising their prices?
No one can do this. When my parents were kids chewing gum was 5 cents. You cant dictate the future or morals.

Never, ever? Even 10-20 years from now, if we wanted to increase prices by 1%, we would not be allowed to?
I know right.. You are allowed to do anything you want as long as you can suffer the consequences..

Like if you raise prices to high I may stop posting on this forum... ;)

Back