New DA install and serious help needed!

webone

Verified User
Hi,

OK. I'm in deep ***** here!

My brilliant admin has just sold his webhosting company to another operation who are not answering support requests, and don't seem to know a thing about DA or server administration for that matter.

I've got some questions that I desperately need help with and didn't know who else to turn to . . .

Please forgive me if these questions seem dumb - I'm not all that proficient at all this yet!

1. I currently have 2 servers both running DA. I've got 2 more lined up with another host. I am right in thinking that I can use the same hostnames for my new servers, right? Will that cause any problems?

2. My ex-host offered DA as part of my server package for both servers. My new servers don't so I'm going to purchase 2 month by month licenses - 1 for each server. Does the support include making sure things like ssl is working properly? Where would I get support for installing SSL certs? DA or SSL provider?

3. When I order, how soon can DA be up and running on my servers?

Thanks!

Oh well, as no one is replying, i'll do it :D

1. I currently have 2 servers both running DA. I've got 2 more lined up with another host. I am right in thinking that I can use the same hostnames for my new servers, right? Will that cause any problems?

2. My ex-host offered DA as part of my server package for both servers. My new servers don't so I'm going to purchase 2 month by month licenses - 1 for each server. Does the support include making sure things like ssl is working properly? Where would I get support for installing SSL certs? DA or SSL provider?

1. Using the exact same hostnames isn't really recommended, but wouldn't give very much problems if those hostnames aren't connected to a DNS server etc. I recommend against it, because it's hard to see what server you're logged into while in SSH session etc. A construction like: s001.<domain>.<ext> & s002.<domain>.<ext> might be a better idea. Or just use unique names, like i do ;)

2. DA is responsible to keep DA working, most of the time they do support the standard applications, but they don't have to do it. Things like making sure SSL work, are part of the bit where there is DA support. But SSL certificates not.
How to install a SSL certificate
Step 1: Create a domain or user that owns a IP (Open to suggestions to do it in another way).
Step 2: Login as that user, go to advanced menu, SSL Certificates
Step 3: Set it to create a certificate request
Step 4: Pass the request to SSL cert provider
Step 5: You get the cert back, go back to the menu in step 2, set it to paste the cert & key in the last box and hit save :)

3. Don't know exactly, I'd say, within 12 hours if you pay per credit card...

Last edited:
webone said:
My brilliant admin has just sold his webhosting company to another operation who are not answering support requests, and don't seem to know a thing about DA or server administration for that matter.
Nothing, they say, is as constant as change. :rolleyes: .
I'm going to strongly disagree with Icheb, and add as justification that your hostname should be in DNS, as you will get email with your hostname as the return address.

I agree with him that you can use something such as s01.example.com, and etc. We employ multiple control panels, and for our DA servers we initially set them up as da1., da2., and so forth.
2. My ex-host offered DA as part of my server package for both servers. My new servers don't so I'm going to purchase 2 month by month licenses - 1 for each server. Does the support include making sure things like ssl is working properly?
To some extent yes. But though DA staff might be very willing to help you, you'll still need to come up to speed yourself, over time. The DA staff is not overly large, and though they're willing to help, that help doesn't include systems administration; that's something you'll have to learn yourself, or contract for it with someone, or rent dedicated servers that come with complete systems administration.
Where would I get support for installing SSL certs? DA or SSL provider?
I wouldn't expect any help from DA unless you've tried everything in their instructions and it still doesn't work. The DA staff has been nice enought o post an entire set of help websites; the page for SSL is at: http://www.site-helper.com/ssl.html.

While some SSL providers offer full service including installation, that adds extra costs which you'd have to pass on to your clients.

(We've found that most SSL providers don't have any experience with DA, though hopefully that will change in the future.)

And I'd add to Icheb's instructions for installing certificates that many low-priced certs require a "root" or "chained" cert which also must be installed; DA's instructions over that on the previously mentioned site-helper page, as "Step 4: Install the CA Root Certificate".
My experience has been "rather quickly" but I do my own installs, so I'm not sure how quickly they can get to it; the best bet would be to ask them at the sales address @directadmin.com.

If you need help with any of the subjects I've mentioned above please contact me by email (address below, in my sig); our core business is supporting Webhosting companies.

Jeff

I'm going to strongly disagree with Icheb, and add as justification that your hostname should be in DNS, as you will get email with your hostname as the return address.
Uhhm, with:
I recommend against it, because it's hard to see what server you're logged into while in SSH session etc.
I meant to say, i'm against using the same hostnames for more servers, as it would give problems. Not that i'm against myself being against it ;) (am i still making some sense?)

Kind of, Icheb :rolleyes: .

I was afraid that webone might use your response as justification to take what for him would be the easy way out; that's why I said what I did.

I had nothing against you at all.

Jeff

Thank you all so much!

I've got my servers, just waiting for root passes etc and then I'll order DA. I realise that there was some confusion over DA responsibilities and those of an administrator.

Luckily my administrator has agreed to help set up everything and do some protecting in light of the fact that the company he sold out to is poor beyond belief.

Thank you for your words of wisdom icheb and jlasman - they're extremely appreciated.

Can I just run this by you so I'm absolutely sure . . .

The servers I currently have will be decommissioned (I imagine) when I cancel my account with them. So, I want the hostname of one of my new servers to be the same as the hostname of one of my soon-to-be-decommissioned servers - is that OK, sensible, correct?

Thanks again - I'll certainly be on the look out for administrators to look after these servers - the company I got them from don't come cheap when it comes to support!

Best wishes

Gavin

webone said:
Luckily my administrator has agreed to help set up everything and do some protecting in light of the fact that the company he sold out to is poor beyond belief.
That must be a great relief :) .
The servers I currently have will be decommissioned (I imagine) when I cancel my account with them. So, I want the hostname of one of my new servers to be the same as the hostname of one of my soon-to-be-decommissioned servers - is that OK, sensible, correct?
I wouldn't do it.

As a rather stretched example, say you and your wife has a child, named (for the sake of example) Joe.

When Joe reaches 17 and you know he'll soon be leaving for college, you decide to have another child.

Would you name your second child Joe as well because you know your first child Joe will be leaving for college in a month or two?

I know that's a pretty contrived example, but I manage a lot of servers, and I have to keep them straight. One of my early servers, "joshua", was taken out of service almost a year ago, yet every so often one of my clients ask me about a behavior difference between the old server, joshua, and the new server, da1. It makes life easier when I can refer to the servers by their names.

Another point, we have our clients log into the control panel through our hostnames, so they get the proper control panel. We tell our customers to use the control panel at "da1.ns-one.net", "da2.ns-one.net", and so forth. Our clients knew when we switched from "joshua.ns-one.net" to "da1.ns-one.net" that they were moving to a new server; it was easier for all of us.

I understand having some kind of attachment to hostnames; my first five were elijah, joshua, jesse, isaiah and john, named after my godkids. None of those are still in service, and now I just use descriptive names.

Your mileage may of course vary, but please consider that fully qualified hostnames are identifiers as sure as IP#s and domain names are; it's much eaiser for everyone if you keep them unique.

That said, it's your server :) .
Thanks again - I'll certainly be on the look out for administrators to look after these servers - the company I got them from don't come cheap when it comes to support!
Please keep us in mind, our contact information is below, in my sig, and our core business is contract systems administration.

Jeff

Back