New Instal Nameserver setup

13blue

Verified User
Hi, Thanks for the great product and the fast install Direct Admin has been a pleasure so far. Please be patient with me, I've been doing a lot of reading and searching through the forums and documentation but haven't found an answer.

That said, I'm not very far along. I'm trying to follow the newinstall.html but it seems to be written for an older UI. I think I'm doing things correctly until I get to step 2 of 'Step 2.'

Place checkmarks next to any two IP addresses and then click the "Create Nameservers for" button, selecting the domain you want the nameservers for.

I see my two IPs *.155 - server - 0 users - blank nameserver and *.156 - free - all else is bank.
With both IPs selected, there is nothing to choose in the domain dropdown list. if I click the "Create" button anyway I get the message "Cannot Execute Your Request" "Details" "is not a domain" which is not surprising because there was no domain to choose.

I have two IPs available but only one NIC (eth0) is assigned (*.155). Do I need to assign eth1 with the *.156 IP and/or do I have the previous steps of the "newinstall.html" document screwed up.

This is my first server and I seem to have bitten off more than I can chew but I'm willing (and determined) to learn. :)

Thanks in advance.
bert

do you have assigned domainnames to the reseller? are you using the reseller as admin, or do you have an own reselleraccount? in last case you could also check if you have assigned the IPs correctly to the reseller; if the reseller have domainnames they should be here.

I've only just begun the set up with http://www.directadmin.com/newinstall.html. Step one is to Set a main domain name, and Step 2 is Create nameservers. I haven't gotten as far as setting up resellers or users. As a beginner I would think that this is the document I should follow and stick to its procedure.

Hello,
there is nothing to choose in the domain dropdown list.
That would imply that a domain has not yet been created below that Reseller.. either at his own User Level, or under a User created by the Reseller. So basically to get a domain in the dropdown, create a domain.

The quick way, assuming the domain is owned by that Reseller, is to click "User Level" then "Domain Administration" and add a new domain.

Note that although the default "admin" is an Admin, it's still considered to be a Reseller (juts with more privileges on top), as a Reseller account is a subset of the Admin account. So if you're using "admin", just click "User Level" and create the domain as mentioned above.

The User Level link can be found at the top right of the enhanced skin.

John

Hello,
I've looked at http://www.directadmin.com/newinstall.html but I still am not clear about how to set up my nameservers.
I have a server ip and an additional ip that I am using for as dedicated for one web site.

I have some other sites that will use shared. Do I set ns1 and ns2 to be the server ip for these other sites?

Does the dedicated site need to has its own ns1 and ns2, both pointing to the dedicated ip? Or, can all sites have same ns1 and ns2.

Of course, I will set ns1 and ns2 at my domain registrar to match.

Thanks for the help.

All sites can have the same nameservers. You should set them up as virtual nameservers so you don't have to assign specific IP#s to them.

Jeff

Back