New install DA > Apache is working normally when accessing the site

try install without IPv6 and add it after install.
This is actually what I did. During install it only registered IPv4. I added the IPv6 after. The issue with the SSL didn't seem to affect me. I was able to issue wildcard SSL certificate with Let's Encrypt on one, and have the second site with a Sectigo certificate. And I can confirm after going over the logs that LE did test on IPv6 address as well as IPv4.

Neither is showing right now though, as I mentioned it is only showing the certificate of the dashboard, which is self signed.

it is only showing the certificate of the dashboard, which is self signed.
It's no harm to create a hostname certificate anyway.

The reason I asked for the license is to see which was the best option to ask for support. With a personal license there is no ticket support. Unless it's a bug, but since there are no other complaints, it doesn't seem like a bug. Still could be though.

Maybe we should ask @smtalk to shed his light on this, why this is happening on a new install.

Do you think I should try rebuilding the VPS and reinstalling DA? Because I really need this done quickly, I have went through a lot of different articles on things that may help. Or should I maybe try creating a linux user and then try register this in DA, and add the domains here? I am at a loss on how to continue.

Or should I maybe try creating a linux user and then try register this in DA, and add the domains here?
If you need things done quickly, maybe rebuilding the VPS and reinstalling DA is best. Best sure to install the OS full, update /etc/hostname etc. so hostname is fully known and then rebuild DA.
It should just work. However, it's a new install system, just to be sure keep your license ip and OS as they should be for the installation. You probably already did.
I would like to help installing, however, I'm still occupied for a couple of hours.

Is that a Transip VPS?

I think NAT->external IP linking hasn't been done. I'd suggest checking IP Management section.

OK the exodus continues. I am still having issues installing DA on the VPS. VPS has AlmaLinux OS, directadmin installed using the setup script. It is a solo license, so only 1 user (admin) is allowed. I added a domain and pointed everything to it (nameserver, DNS etc). Visiting the site though I get, again, the Apache is working. When checking the locations Richard gave, again there is nothing in /etc/virtual/domains and in /etc/virtual/domainowners.

I then ran a script to completely rebuild the /etc/virtual map, as listed here: https://docs.directadmin.com/direct...completely-rebuild-your-etc-virtual-directory

When running the script though I get the error:
cat: /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/admin/domains/josephsprivate.space.pointers: No such file or directory

When I check the contents of the /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/admin/domains, I see:
ssh.png

This is probably why /etc/virtual/domains contains nothing. The pointers file isn't there.

I don't know if the system is different because I am running a solo license? Should I just upgrade the license and reinstall everything from scratch?

Hold the phone. It seems that the script did fix something. The website is Finally working! Wow that only took forever. Thank you everyone for your help. Especially you Richard! Kudo's for your help! Now lets see if I have to run this script after each and every domain that I add.

OK so we are "partially" in the air with the server. Domains are now working normally, but subdomains don't work. In the above example domain I used, I created a subdomain and placed an OwnCloud site in this subdomain. The Subdomain however still gives the Apache is functioning correctly message. I even ran the script again. This is so weird that this happened not once but four times. I am halfway to the point of telling the lovely people at DirectAdmin to install it for me and make sure everything is working.

I am halfway to the point of telling the lovely people at DirectAdmin to install it for me and make sure everything is working.
I don't think they offer that service. But you can hire smtalk to fix things for you, he has good service. However I don't know if his company does installations too.

I can't check anything without any names either except for the main site, so it's hard to see what's going on. If the subdomain gives the "Apache is functioning normally" then this is a sign that it does not resolve for some reason.
Seen some good dishes there. ;)

I did find something. I've seen 2 external ns3 servers from which 1 is not reachable. Did you copy the subdomain records to the external dns?

Also the MX record looks odd and the PTR/rDNS record is not pointing to your hostname either. This can cause mail issues as you know.

Also the MX record looks odd and the PTR/rDNS record is not pointing to your hostname either. This can cause mail issues as you know.
I have a separate mail server running on ubuntu. So not to worried about the PRT/rDNS for now. I work for the company so I can have the PTR and reverse DNS set up any time.

If the subdomain gives the "Apache is functioning normally" then this is a sign that it does not resolve for some reason.
Yeah I figured it was not resolving again, especially since I attached a wildcard SSL to the domain and when visiting the subdomain it was showing the SSL certificate of the server and not the (sub)domain. The full script I used fixed the domains, but is not working on the subdomains unfortunately.

I can't check anything without any names either except for the main site, so it's hard to see what's going on.
Subdomain is cloud.josephsprivate.space. I also added a second domain to the site, upgradetossd.nl. That one is working fine. Website and SSL and all.

Seen some good dishes there. ;)
Hehe thanks, this is where I store my recipes for cooking. I used to keep them in a map and kept a lot of them in bookmarks in my browser. But I lost 4 recipes due to the recipe being pulled or the site going down, and decided keeping the recipes on my own site made sense. Also why I don't mind using this domain as guinea pig for testing purposes. Feel free to try any of them. I am originally from the Caribbean so there are some Caribbean dishes there. There are also a few really good recipes for the working (wo)man, cook and on the table in 30 minutes.

I don't think they offer that service.
The Lite and Standard packages say they come with installation. I'm gonna upgrade the license and give it a try and if I don't get through then I will see about having them give it a whirl. Otherwise may message smtalk and have him do it for me. The whole of next month I just don't have the time to get it done any more.

It is weird though that this Solo license comes with so many problems. I can't imagine that I am the only one with these problems, seeing as I am following the installation almost to the letter as what is on their site. It's not OS related, as I tried it on Ubuntu, CentOS and AlmaLinux. It's not hardware related as I tried it on three different systems. It's not network related as I tried it behind a NAT and on a VPS with direct internet.

This is weird as hell that it keeps happening. No wonder the guys at DirectAdmin charge just $24 for the year, the rest $130 you pay trying to rebuild the installation from scratch. I had to run 7 different scripts and upgrades and installs to get to where I am now.

Hmm nice. Sending a ticket doesn't work as a Solo license doesn't qualify for support. Just sent them an email with the request to upgrade the license from Solo to Lite. Let's see if a separate user will address the situation with the resolving of domains and subdomains.

Subdomain is cloud.josephsprivate.space
You got an internal server error there. Doesn't the apache domain logs say more about this?

I am originally from the Caribbean so there are some Caribbean dishes there.
Oh that's cool. About the only thing I know about that region is like most people know the Roti dish. But I was always interested in international dishes. So I will sure have another look and try it out. Unfortunately my wife is less international, wat meer van de stijl van wat de boer niet kent dat lust ie niet, alhoewel ze wel shoarma lust. I'm sure you get my drift, so I probably will have to cook something for my own then when testing this, but I don't mind.

It is weird though that this Solo license comes with so many problems.
Well in fact it doesn't. I'm also sure your not the only one, but there aren't a lot of issues to be found here purely from the personal licenses.
Most of them were from the beginning, that people did not understood that admin was a useraccount. :)
Normally it's reall install and have fun. I've installed a couple myself on VPS systems and had no issues at all. However I must say that I never used ipv6 yet, I just disabled that on the Centos servers. :)

Sending a ticket is indeed not for personal licenses, unless it's really a bug, then there is a way somehow, but I don't remember how exactly.

But if I understand correctly, the subdomain records were copied to the external DNS.
However, what amazes me the most, is that the .nl domain you added works all fine.

Ah wait... maybe I found something. It might be maybe LE and the DNS gets confused about the subdomain, because it's not setup like it should be if I'm correct.
I had a look in dnsdumpster.com on your main domain name. Then I found the cloud subdomain having 2 different ip addresses.
The record of cloud.josephsprivate.space is pointing to an 31.186.x.x ip at cloud.dynad.com with Serverius-AS here in NL.
But www.cloud.josephsprivate.space is pointing to 92.63.x.x at pcExtreme.

And I can imagine that is causing a server error. Because www.sub.domain.com and sub.domain.com are create both by DA when creating a subdomain. If DA is checking it will get confused.

I presume you're still working on this, because when I just visited the subdomain in Chrome, something very odd happend, suddenly I was routed to https://www.cloud.josephsprivate.space/cloud which is wrong anyway.
It's either (www.)cloud.josephsprivate.space or (www.)josephsprivate.space/cloud/ but what just happened is not possible.

So as far as I see and check at least this should be fixed for this subdomain and set to the same ip address or just remove the www version.

There are loads of other subdomains I see, but lots are not reachable at this moment on the amazone servers it seems.

Edit: seems you fixed that, www.sub and sub. are both pointing to the 92.63.x.x ip now, however, now we have the wrong redirect again.
https://cloud.josephsprivate.space/cloud/
in Firefox. Maybe cache. In Edge and Chrome I got a forbidden now in the correct place.

I'll leave you working with it, it's not much use looking up things if you're working with it. ;)

I forgot to say... I get a forbidden now on the subdomain, but WITH https, so that seems good. Don't know what you changed.

I am indeed doing some work on the server at the moment. I just upgraded the license to Lite and created a separate user to see if that will resolve the issue. Strangest now is that josephsprivate.space is now once again completely down, and the second domain, the .nl domain still works. The fix.sh script did nothing for this.

Is there an issue with different domain extensions maybe? Maybe it just doesn't like the .space extension?

The record of cloud.josephsprivate.space is pointing to an 31.186.x.x ip at cloud.dynad.com with Serverius-AS here in NL.
Huh???? 31.186 does not even ring a bell! I have no idea what that is. I normally have the subdomain cloud.josephsprivate.space pointing to my address at home, which used to be a 82.xxx.xxx.xxx and is now a 92.xxx since I stopped over to KPN EEN MKB.

Maybe it just doesn't like the .space extension?
Shouldn't be the case but one never knows.

31.186 does not even ring a bell!
I get the impression that the site I was using to check, does not give correct records, which could explain this 31.186 ip.
But pointing to your address at home??? I thought you had put everything over to a VPS to prevent any LAN issues?

josephsprivate.space is now once again completely down
Not at this moment so I presume you fixed that again? It's also working via https at the moment, just like the cloud subdomain, which by the way still gives that forbidden error, probably because lack of index.* file.

Something looks to have changed indeed. After running the script to move the domains over to the created user, neither josephsprivate.space or cloud.josephsprivate.space was working. Now all of a sudden they are both working fine. Very odd indeed.

But pointing to your address at home??? I thought you had put everything over to a VPS to prevent any LAN issues?
I have a cloud running on a separate Ubuntu server running off of a ESXi server. This is literally just a LAMP server with OwnCloud. I want to get it off of the server, which is why I tried creating the subdomain on the DA server. Once the subdomain works I can transfer all of the files over. Then simply opened with port forwarding.

The strange streak continues. I really don't understand what is going on at all. josephsprivate.space is once again giving the "Apache is functioning" message, however other domains seem to work on the server. I recently added a new domain to the server, and this domain now also gives a "Apache is functioning" message.

I tried running the script to fix the domains, but no dice. Will give it some time like last time, see if it miraculously fixes itself. Maybe the script takes time to process?

Greetings Richard G, after upgrading the license and getting DirectAdmin support, It seems that it was a IPv6 issue. While the server and DNS had IPv6 enabled, DirectAdmin itself did not. As a result, the virtualhosts was only listening to IPv4. Issue "should" now be resolved. Will monitor for the next few weeks. If it is indeed fixed, I can "finally" start moving over my customer accounts. Thank you and thank DirectAdmin for the support. Been a rough time getting this resolved.

Back