New Mail Account Inaccessible

Marque DeWinter

Verified User
I created a new POP account for a user and the password is rejected by any email clients and squirrelmail....

any suggestions?

~marque

Did DA set up the users correctly? I think it stored that information in the passwd file in /etc/virtual/domain

Originally posted by Marque DeWinter
I created a new POP account for a user and the password is rejected by any email clients and squirrelmail....
What are you using for the username.

For POP accounts you create the login is [email protected], where example.com should be replaced by the domain name and username by the username you created.

Are you checking for mail with a full email address as your username?

Jeff

We are experiencing the same problem. We recently moved a client from one box to another. After the move we are unable to access any of their existing POP accounts or new ones that we created after the move.

These accounts can only be accesed through the web mail apps.

This leads us to believe there is something wrong with the POP server. All login attempts are made using the full account name '[email protected]'.

The pop server is definately running.

What should we have in the file /etc/virtual/domains/pophosts?

What else could potentially be causing this problem?

There is no /etc/virtual/domains/pophosts file; I presume you mean /etc/virtual/pophosts.

You don't touch the pophosts file; it's maintained by the system to allow popb4smtp authentication.

If you can get DA support to help you, they can probably sort out the problem.

For me to help you, you'll have to create a new email box on the server and post here:

the email box address
the password
the main IP# of your server
the pop server name you type in to your desktop email program

and then perhaps I or someone else can help figure out the problem.

Jeff

Thanks,

I created a support request with DA and will see what they have to say. If I find a solution I will post it here.

Hello,

Whenever a move is involved, dns propogation can quite often cause much confusion.. so you might want to check out that you are getting the new IP address.

/webmail and /squirrelmail both use the same mail servers as your email client at home. /webmail uses vm-pop3d and /squirrelamail uses the imapd through xinetd. If /webmail and /squirrelmail work, then either you are not connecting to the same server as they are (they connect locally), or there is a setting that isn't setup correctly.

If squirrelmail doesn't work, but webmail does, then see this:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=18
You might just need to copy over the imapd binary (step 4)

If you get an error message from your email client, let us know what it says.

John

Squirrel mail is working. Pinging mail.domainname.com shows the new ip address, so it does not appear that this issue is related to DNS.

Outlook is unable to connect because it says the password is invalid.

To be sure this isn't an error with Outlook we also tried logging into an account on the server using Mail2Web. Mail2Web reports the following error "Error : Login Failure. Please check your email address and re-enter your password."

Running a test on DNS Stuff .com shows:

Getting MX record for domain.com... Got it!
mail.domain.com. - xx.xxx.xx.xxx [Successful connect: Got a good response [250 Accepted]]

You didn't reply as to whether or not /webmail (EubeiMiau) is working. Nor have you replied to my request for the information needed to help you trace this further.

Jeff

/webmail doesn't work. It produces the following message:

You cannot login with the username and password entered.

Please check your username and password and try again.

Back

Regarding the other information. I would prefer not to disclose customer information in a public forum.

We are running DA on a Virtuozzo VPS. From what I've read the POP server runs through Xinetd.

If /webmail doesn't work, then the combination of email address & password are either incorrect or are being stored or compared incorrectly.

I understand your unwillingness to supply the information publicly, that I'd need, but I can't help further without it. I offer as much help as I can on this forum as time and resources permit.

I presume you've tried both

[email protected]

and

username

as your mailbox username, and have gotten the same error with both.

I've just (over the weekend) gotten a Virtuaozzo VPS-based DA account, so I may learn the platform. My provider has set up vm-pop3d to run as a daemon.

Of course you can change it, but you'll risk going over your contracted server resources if you do.

It shouldn't make a difference, though, since all xineted does is start an instance of vm-pop3d, and pass the request on to it.

Jeff

Yes we have tried both forms of the username and neither of them worked.

When we telnet into port 110 we receive an OK response. It looks like the pop server is running.

Not sure what else can be done to continue troubleshooting this....

In our case, our VPS/DA provider gives support; they tell us to not use DA for support but to bring support issues to their attention.

Jeff

The good guys at http://www.tektonic.net were able to solve this issue. If anyone else has the same problem please follow these steps:

edit /etc/xinetd.d/pop3d and pop3ds and change "disable = no" to "disable = yes". Then run "service xinetd restart" followed by a "service vm-pop3d start".

That solved it for us!

It appears as if you may have been trying to run pop both ways.

Glad you got it straightened out.

Jeff

davef8 said:
edit /etc/xinetd.d/pop3d and pop3ds and change "disable = no" to "disable = yes". Then run "service xinetd restart" followed by a "service vm-pop3d start".

As a follow-up, the xinetd.d configuration file for the pop deamon may have a different file name and there may be multiple "pop" files.

One of my systems had three:
ipop2
ipop3
pop3s

After setting all three to "disable = yes", running "service xinetd restart" followed by a "service vm-pop3d start", the problem was resolved.

Back