New User and Converting from CPanel... HOWTO's, Tutorials etc...

wemanageit

As it says in the subject I am a new DA user, coming from CP for obvious reasons...

So I got my new server setup with DA, my hosting company provides DA licenses as part of the hosting...

I installed on my KVM Slice 2GB, using Ubuntu 20.04 (I don't speak Red Hat :) ;) hence using what I've used for the 20 years+ )

Did the install with the

Code:
bash <(curl -Ss https://www.directadmin.com/setup.sh) auto

Ok.. all good to go.. everything completed, CustomBuild too... its running and sitting there...

What I am after is a HOWTO, tutorials (NO! Videos! I don't watch videos!) on this... tutorials I find are about installing DA.. done that..

A couple of the questions I am after

1) I have a NEW domain to use for this host for its setup as the server name etc... ie: server.newdomain.cc , right now this set to: server-IP.da.direct

So where was this supposed to be set??? Or get set????
How to correct and reset for DA etc..

This likely is something that if I have to guess, many if not 99.9999% of the tutorial on installing DA omit that the hostname of the box needs to be set before hand??? And other settings that need to be set...

I am not progressing much further as I have a funny feeling this will require a wipe/resetup/install to correct...

2) SSL for the DA portal????? How to setup???? After I the server name is corrected.. Lots of things about setting SSL for new accounts..., not the DA portal itself...

The big thing I am after:

Tutorials and HOWTOs for those coming from CP and setting of Resellers etc....is one of the big things I am after.. after getting the name and more security on the DA Portal itself...

Thanks in advance.

1. if you want to use your new domain as server domain that is fine but your hostname must be set correctly first
- Are the IP address correct ? all you IP s are visible inside your panel (even IP6if there is any)
- setup your hostname properly, https://forum.directadmin.com/threa...ct-admin-hostname-the-proper-way.66356/unread
- check your DNS setting, be sure your hostname have an A record (if using ipv6 then also an AAAA record)
2. SSL for the portal: https://docs.directadmin.com/webservices/ssl/service-ssls-and-le.html
3. Docs site is your best friend for the manuals: https://docs.directadmin.com/

1. if you want to use your new domain as server domain that is fine but your hostname must be set correctly first

I think maybe some things are getting crossed here in terminology as WHAT **I** call a host name =
$ hostname
XXXXX-angelinz

A FQDN SERVER NAME = something in DNS some place

I also think thay maybe a lot if not all the tutorials on this leave out some basic things that really should be in them, at least in my view/perspective....

- Are the IP address correct ? all you IP s are visible inside your panel (even IP6if there is any)

IP6 , not used, not listed

MY IP, is listed in the the panel.

I am starting to think that some other considerations need to be brought to bear which are not... and that a far far far more basic HOWTO/tutorial link is needed and some basics of

History: To this point, I've used CP/WHM as hosted by various places for 20+ years...... well CP/WHM are driving people away.. what cost me $99/YEAR is NOW DOUBLED because of the license changes.. so I need to move this stuff to something that matches the pricing model I am familiar with.. So DA...

Here is where the rub is starting to show.... in that I may just be better off to go xyz hosting and move this to a pre setup "RESELLER DA" setup... which basically matches what I have now....

VERSUS

VPS and DA...

Somethings I am starting to see is that likely even for the BASIC SETUP there probably should be :

3 IP's???

ONE for the SERVER ITSELF
TWO for DNS for NS setup?????????

Is this correct or ????????

I am going this MY OWN VPS route as a test to determine things.. and have more of this under my control and to use the VPS provider I have for 100's of VPS's for other things... they actually provide the CURRENT "RESELLER" setup I use, but they have disco'd this for new, they don't provide "RESELLER" DA setups... I can recreate it using VPS slices via DA etc.. but they don't provide a preexisting setup.

Thank You! I read that.. it made things even more muddier....

Lets just say I want this to be server1.mynewdomain.cc

So I go to Namecheap setup an A record in DNS for server1.mynewdomain.cc MYIP

OK.. wunderbar...

Next setup Private/Custom NS for the mynewdomain as ns1.mynewdomain.cc ns2.mynewdomain.cc ??? OR JUST A RECORDS for NS1/NS2???

This is why I am starting to lean that there needs to be a far more rudimentary basic tutorial, than where the the DOCS site below starts at...And that possibly the REQUIREMENTS for things are a little more than what I saw.

Especially in IP addresses needed....at least the minimum, is likely 3, not 1????

https://forum.directadmin.com/threa...ct-admin-hostname-the-proper-way.66356/unread
- check your DNS setting, be sure your hostname have an A record (if using ipv6 then also an AAAA record)

I can add this.... at the domain provider, Namecheap, ok.. no biggie... but I am thinking there is more to be setup

So I give this new box a DNS A RECORD... OK... now I do the same for ns1.xxxx ns2.xxxx and add CUSTOM NAME SERVER... Correct... ?

So I have DNS records at NC as follows:
A record server1 = IP
A record NS1 = IP
A record NS2 = IP

I can go to http://server.mynewdomain.cc:2222 and login... WOOT
All these resolve via google DNS server 8.x.8 and 8.x.4.4 ... so that seems good...

So now I follow the link above to RESET the host name, NS settings, correct?

OK.. that looks pretty straight forward AFTER get to the point that the mynewdomain.cc etc. are setup.

Which I think I am to the point to do CHANGE HOST NAME Link.....

https://docs.directadmin.com/webservices/ssl/service-ssls-and-le.html
3. Docs site is your best friend for the manuals: https://docs.directadmin.com/

Thanks. I've been using that, but I think where I am at and the BASIC STARTUP/SETUP point I am at is WAY WAY BEFORE where these pages start to cover......

Along with 99.9999999% of the sites that stay Install DA On Ubuntu 20.04 .... followed most of them... I am sitting at this portal, but I don't these lead to the point where they need to to be ready to start adding packages, reseller etc...

Alot of MY QUESTIONS may be common knowledge to those who've setup this stuff... I've let others deal with this over the last 20+ years... the servers I setup are for other things... and they don't rely on the LAMP stack, DA etc... or in the way which DA/CP/WHM do...

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL ASSISTANCE! I gladly would love sites with HOWTO/TURIALS on DA... but no videos.. I just can stand them.. I read web sites not watch them! :) ;) :)

Again, THANK YOU !

I think maybe some things are getting crossed here in terminology as WHAT **I** call a host name =
Yeah well... if you want to be an admin, you should learn or lookup some basic stuff. Follow RFC's and do what it's officially called, not what you like to call it.
Even for cPanel you need an FQDN hostname. Which is for example server.domain.com or vps.domain.com or whatever you want as your hostname, you could even use my.domain.com. It's like a subdomain, but just only use for your server, not in the domain itself as a subdomain.

I wonder why people always want to change their hostname afterwards. Just choose a good one before you begin and that takes away some worries about it.
and that a far far far more basic HOWTO/tutorial link is needed and some basics of
I don't see how as the docs are clear enough and everything can be found there. However on the other hand, people wanting to be admin should have some more basic knowledge before they begin, especially if they want to call themselves hosters.

Next setup Private/Custom NS for the mynewdomain as ns1.mynewdomain.cc ns2.mynewdomain.cc ??? OR JUST A RECORDS for NS1/NS2???
Docs..
there is even a complete tutorial on the forums if you would take an effort to search. And first result on Google.

Thanks. I've been using that, but I think where I am at and the BASIC STARTUP/SETUP point I am at is WAY WAY BEFORE where these pages start to cover......
Well you think wrong. Take the effort to read them. And don't start somewhere in the middle.

You have the alias "wemanageit" but you don't give credit to that name. Less words in capslock (which isn't done anyway and drivers helpers away), putting in a bit more effort to have find things. We have people with very little experience in any panel setting this up quite easily with just looking it up.

This is a very long post and it's a mix of your background and what look like questions. I only speak English and I'm finding this hard to follow (unfortunately). Looks to be some typos in critical places like this sentence (which looks to have at least two in critical places, making it hard to understand what you're saying).
Along with 99.9999999% of the sites that stay Install DA On Ubuntu 20.04 .... followed most of them... I am sitting at this portal, but I don't these lead to the point where they need to to be ready to start adding packages, reseller etc...
I have about 20 years of experience with CPanel / WHM before moving to DA roughly a year ago. The transition wasn't all that hard. Glad to help if I can.

Back