Newaliases command missing on new install

Richard G

Verified User
Freshly installed a new VPS with Centos 7.

Seems now the newaliases command is missing which is normally installed with Exim.
Well... installed.. it's in fact a symlink to /user/sbin/exim but still... it's not made. So I created the symlink myself.

Is this a bug or why is it missing?

newaliases is /usr/bin/newaliases and is not linked to /usr/sbin/exim

Yes it is!
Maybe you're uising another distro or have/had postfix or sendmail installed?
I use Centos 7. It's the same in both my other Centos 7 servers and another VPS which I did not touch.
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 2019-09-08 21:08 newaliases -> ../sbin/exim

Still... even if it would be a seperate file in /usr/bin then it still was missing on a freshinstall. ;)

I am using centos 7 and /usr/bin/newaliases is installed by da_exim-4.87-1.x86_64

[root@server1 ~]# yum provides newaliases
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* base: mirror.teklinks.com
* extras: mirror.cs.pitt.edu
* updates: mirror.rackspace.com
extras/7/x86_64/filelists_db | 207 kB 00:00:00
updates/7/x86_64/filelists_db | 3.5 MB 00:00:00

da_exim-4.87-1.x86_64 : Mail Transfer Agent
Repo : installed
Matched from:
Filename : /usr/bin/newaliases

If newaliases were linked to /usr/sbin/exim then when you ran newaliases then the output would simply be:

Exim is a Mail Transfer Agent. It is normally called by Mail User Agents,
not directly from a shell command line. Options and/or arguments control
what it does when called. For a list of options, see the Exim documentation.

I have checked several full servers and several vpss and they all show newaliases being installed by da_exim rpm.

If newaliases were linked to /usr/sbin/exim then when you ran newaliases then the output would simply be:

Well I'm sorry, but I did this but I have had that output. It does not give any output on every server and vps:
Code:
[root@vps: ~]# newaliases
[root@vps: ~]#

I have checked several full servers and several vpss and they all show newaliases being installed by da_exim rpm.
That can well be the case, but I'm als only stating facts like it's present on my servers.
I'm not saying I don't believe you, but it seems you don't believe me. I freshly installed a VPS and newaliases was NOT installed anywhere!

So I checked 3 servers, being 2 dedi's and 1 VPS and they all have newaliases linked as stated in my reply #3 here. 2 of those servers were recently freshly installed (october last year).

Concluding: I'm not saying I don't believe you.
The yum provides newaliases command, indeed shows the same output as your output da_exim-4.87-1.x86_64 : Mail Transfer Agent.
Still, if you want you can have a look at my servers, I've not touched them and all show:
Code:
[root@server23: ~]# cd /usr/bin
[root@server23: /usr/bin]# ls -al newaliases
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Sep  8 21:08 newaliases -> ../sbin/exim
So beats me why mine are all links, I don't know, but I don't lie about these things. Or do you claim this is not a symlink?
Again, if you want you can have a look at my servers, I believe you, but I also don't know why it's different on yours.

Now have a look at the output of my VPS without newaliases, with exim by DA installed:
Code:
[root@server: ~]# yum provides newaliases
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Excluding mirror: mirror.fra10.de.leaseweb.net
* base: mirror.alpha-labs.net
* extras: mirror.checkdomain.de
* updates: mirror.alpha-labs.net
extras/7/x86_64/filelists_db                                                                                                   | 207 kB  00:00:00    
2:postfix-2.10.1-7.el7.x86_64 : Postfix Mail Transport Agent
Repo        : base
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/bin/newaliases
as you can see... none installed at all, no da_exim-4.87 rpm either.

However, exim is installed and working. Build by DA.
So again..;. as stated before, there is an issue with fresh installs that the newaliases command is not installed. I even ran a "./build all d" yesterday and it was not installed.

Maybe it has to do with the mirror. I'm using files6 on this vps. The files6 had some issues a while ago with an incomplete mysql, so one never knows. However, this still would not explain why I've got symlinks (as shown) on all other servers while the repo output says "installed".
Beats me.

[root@server: /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild]# exim --version
Exim version 4.93.0.4 #5 built 25-Jan-2020 03:58:58

Ok I take it back. Mine are links. I did whereis newaliases and it show the path but not that it was an alias. They were still all installed by the da_exim rpm. I wonder why the output from newaliases and /usr/sbin/exim is different if they are both the same command?

[root@server1 ~]# rpm -q da_exim
da_exim-4.87-1.x86_64

Different versions on different servers.

Its not about believing somebody. We can all make mistakes about what what we think is happening. I made a mistake in this thread.

As far as I know the setup script should install the da_exim rpm which should install the newaliases link.

We can all make mistakes about what what we think is happening. I made a mistake in this thread.
No harm done. Indeed we can all make mistakes, I could have been more clear that the symlink I posted from newaliases was from one of the servers and not the problem VPS. ;)

Different versions on different servers.
Maybe it has to do with the time they are installed. This is my output on all 3 servers:
[root@server24: ~]# rpm -q da_exim
da_exim-4.89.1-1.x86_64

Now on the fresly installed VPS with the issue:
[root@server: ~]# rpm -q da_exim
package da_exim is not installed
:unsure:

As far as I know the setup script should install the da_exim rpm which should install the newaliases link.
Correct and I agree on this. Hence this thread to see if somebody from DA can confirm this might be a bug since it should be installed.

Fixed in CB 2.0 rev. 2373.

You may just just do the following for it (would save you ./build exim time):
Code:
ln -s /usr/sbin/exim /usr/bin/newaliases

Thank you smtalk.
As stated in my first post I already created the symlink.
Good to see it's fixed now by default.

Back