Nginx Reverse Proxy - Nginx is functioning normally

SASolut

Verified User
I am attempting to set up a reverse proxy using NGINX, pointing toward my host server from my DirectAdmin server. This is what I have set up in /etc/nginx/nginx-includes.conf:

server {
listen 80;
server_name da.server.tld ;
location / {
proxy_pass https://ipaddress:4085/ ;
}
}

My A record for da.server.tld is pointed toward the DirectAdmin server's IP address, which is running nginx (obviously).

When I access da.server.tld, I am met with a white, basic screen with the words "nginx is working normally". I am not sure why DirectAdmin is doing this, or even if it is. I assume so, since nginx doesn't really have anything that was cause this.

I would appreciate any support on this.

This is what I have set up in /etc/nginx/nginx-includes.conf:
Why ? DA is capable to setup Nginx as reverse for Apache with Custombuild so why messing manually ?

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build update_da
./build set webserver nginx_apache
./build nginx_apache
./build rewrite_confs

That's for changing the webserver from apache to nginx_apache...now that I've done that, I'm trying to set up a reverse proxy from my server running DirectAdmin to a different server at a different IP address, so that clients can go to a subdomain without having to type in the IP address of a server each time they access it...

so that clients can go to a subdomain without having to type in the IP address of a server each time they access it...
Was not mentioned in your first post, we don't have an magic ball so try to make your question in full

If your sub domains must have his own IP address why not just create an A or AAAA record in your DNS or did I miss something ?.
The server you want to forward (the sub domain) is an server without DA, that would be out of the scoop of this forum.

Was not mentioned in your first post, we don't have an magic ball so try to make your question in full

If your sub domains must have his own IP address why not just create an A or AAAA record in your DNS or did I miss something ?.
The server you want to forward (the sub domain) is an server without DA, that would be out of the scoop of this forum.
...that's what reverse proxies do, though. A reverse proxy is a server that sits in front of webservers and forwards client requests between those servers. I don't want a dedicated IP address for a subdomain, that's not even what reverse proxies do. In addition, it is the nuances of trying to run nginx+apache using autoconfigured files that appears to be causing this issue, which is 100% a DA issue. The server I want to forward requests to has nothing to do with DA, and it needs no addition configuration. This is 100% on the DA server.

My question was in full, it appears you just don't really understand the point of a reverse proxy...it's not just about an IP address. It has to forward requests on to other servers.

Yeah, I know what reverse proxy do but thank you for the nice explanation :)

I do see now where the confusing is coming from; I had assumed that your setup was NGINX as reverse proxy for Apache on the same server.
Anyway , wish you luck with finding your answer.

Back