no emails in webmail

benzema

Verified User
Hi,

I had to move my server a month ago and everything was smooth as I followed the directions here with backup and restore operations.

However, there is a problem with webmail. Since I have moved to the new server, everything has been fine when I use outlook etc to receive and send emails. The problem is with webmail. Squirrel and Roundcube shows no activity. When I send a test email, it won't show up in webmail.

This happens even when I setup a new email account. There are still no emails being delivered in webmail inbox.

I checked Exim logs and those test emails are being delivered. There are no error messages in there either.

What could be the problem here?

follow up

I am clearly doing something wrong here.

As there are only one domains on the server, when I logon as the admin account at directadmin and create an email account at USER level, everything works fine. If I logon as the user account at directadmin and create an email account, then the emails are not going to webmail inboxes.

Can someone tell me the difference between creating an email account as the USER and at USER level (but logged on as ADMIN)

I'm not sure what you mean.
as the USER
What do you mean? Are you referring to the main username of the account as an email address?
at USER level (but logged on as ADMIN)
What do you mean as the difference between these two email accounts?

Jeff

Sorry for the confusion.

This is what I meant. When I logon to directadmin panel with my admin account and select "user level" on the right (from the list where it says admin level, reseller level and user level) and then create an email account, everything goes fine.

However, when I logon to directadmin with the user account directly, then I have problem after creating a new email account.

I'm not sure what you mean.
as the USER
What do you mean? Are you referring to the main username of the account as an email address?

What do you mean as the difference between these two email accounts?

Jeff

DirectAdmin shouldn't know any difference between the two ways of logging in when you created the email.

And the mailboxes aren't created until after email arrives.

Here's a test you could run:

1. create the account

2. create the email address

3. send an email to the address

4. check webmail to see if the email is in the mailbox.

5. create the account in outlook or other, and download the email.

6. check webmail again.

If the email is showing up at step 4 and 5 but not at step 6, well, that's normal behavior; your outlook is telling the mail system to delete the email after it's downloaded.

But if it's not showing up at step 4, and is showing up at step 5, then that's counter-intuitive to how email works on DirectAdmin, and I can't figure it out without doing some forensic work on your server.

Jeff

I'm very confused. You write that the email ends up in /var/spool/mail/djpollum. My understanding is that SpamBlocker 4 requires Dovecot which should be putting email into the /home/djpollum/Maildir/new (presuming you're writing about the main user email and not logical email boxes), until the first time it's read, and then moved to /home/djpollum/Maildir/cur.

Did you ever run a conversion to Dovecot?

Jeff

Thank you for your detailed reply :)

I had a problem with another email account and when I changed its password, I received emails from last 24 hours.

As for your test,

1) When I logon as ADMIN and Select USER LEVEL on the right and CREATE NEW EMAIL , everything works.

2) However, it doesn't work if I logon as USER directly and then CREATE NEW EMAIL.

(guess i will stick to the first method when i create emails)

DirectAdmin shouldn't know any difference between the two ways of logging in when you created the email.

And the mailboxes aren't created until after email arrives.

Here's a test you could run:

1. create the account

2. create the email address

3. send an email to the address

4. check webmail to see if the email is in the mailbox.

5. create the account in outlook or other, and download the email.

6. check webmail again.

If the email is showing up at step 4 and 5 but not at step 6, well, that's normal behavior; your outlook is telling the mail system to delete the email after it's downloaded.

But if it's not showing up at step 4, and is showing up at step 5, then that's counter-intuitive to how email works on DirectAdmin, and I can't figure it out without doing some forensic work on your server.

Jeff

Where did you get your copy of SpamBlocker4?

My copy, here (nobaloney.net), at my site, has the following two sections:
Code:
#COMMENT#56:
local_delivery:
  driver = appendfile
  delivery_date_add
  envelope_to_add
  directory = /home/$local_part/Maildir/
  directory_mode = 770
  create_directory = true
  maildir_format
  group = mail
  mode = 0660
  return_path_add
  user = ${local_part}
and
Code:
#COMMENT#57:
virtual_localdelivery:
  driver = appendfile
  create_directory
  delivery_date_add
  directory_mode = 770
  envelope_to_add
  directory = /home/${lookup{$domain}lsearch*{/etc/virtual/domainowners}{$value}}/imap/${domain}/${local_part}/Maildir
  maildir_format
  group = mail
  mode = 660
  return_path_add
  user = "${lookup{$domain}lsearch*{/etc/virtual/domainowners}{$value}}"
  quota = ${if exists{/etc/virtual/${domain}/quota}{${lookup{$local_part}lsearch*{/etc/virtual/${domain}/quota}{$value}{0}}}{0}}
I don't know where your sections came from.

Jeff

Back