nube question about server migration

TomJones

Verified User
This is my first go at setting up a dedicated server. I have an existing site on a budget host that I want to migrate over to my DA dedicated server. I would like to set everything up on the dedicated server and ensure that all scripts, etc., are working before I change domain pointers.

In DA I've managed to create a new site and ftp my existing files onto the new server but, now I am at a loss as to how I access them through my browser to check everything. I have been trying to use my server IP but, no luck there. I see them in my File Manager but, how do I access them?

have gone over site-helper.com but, can't find the information on this. Is there any other good resource that will hold my hand through the initial process?

Thanks!

Chris posted - http://ip/~username/*
as a way to access the domain "username" on a browser.

I am brand new at this, and am having trouble transfering my sites from another managed webhost. I used the advice that Chris gave here, and it worked! I was able to access the files I had previously FTP'd to the domain.

However, I am a little confused now...

What if I don't want to display ~username in the URL? Preferably, I want the domain to be like this: http://username.com/

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help...

Is "username.com" the registered domain name for the site?

if so, it will just "work" as soon as your customer changes the nameservers for the domain with his/her registrar.

If you really need to see the site at username.com before DNS is propagated for the domain name, then you (and everyone else who wants to see it that way) will have to add an entry to his/her "hosts" file on his/her local desktop, and then restart his/her browser.

Specific details are OS dependent and probably beyond the scope of the DA forums; you can ask on a suitable forum for your OS.

(Note, on my linux-based desktop the file is at /etc/hosts, and contains several samples.)

There's no other way to do it, since the Internet at large will still have the old information.

Jeff

Ok, thanks!

I think I got it. The reason I have to use ~username in the URL, is because I am using the IP number?

Once the DNS has propogated thru the net, then I will be able to access the site using the domain name only.

In other words, this is a temporary situation, and nothing to concern myself with?

and don't forget to turn it off after your DNS propagation. :)

Back