Old Exim

exposed

Verified User
Why do you use the old exim 3.36?? it misses many new features like tls and things like that...

Can i upgrade to 4 myself or do you expect many problems?

Hello,

Funny you ask. I'm in the process of implementing exim 4 right at this very momment :)

I'll put up the src.rpm (will be declared beta) so you can rebuild it and try it out. Should support tls connections. I'll put up the link in 2 minutes.

John

Hello,

http://files.directadmin.com/services/da_exim-4.20-1.src.rpm

ok, what'll you'll need to do it uninstall the current version of exim 3:

rpm -e --nodeps da_exim (or "rpm -e --nodeps exim" for older installs)

Then you need to build the source rpm:

rpm --rebuild da_exim-4.20-1.src.rpm
or
rpmbuild --rebuild da_exim-4.20-1.src.rpm (for newer os's)

Then,

cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386
rpm -ivh da_exim-4.20-1.i386.rpm

It will install /etc/exim.conf, exim.cert, exim.key, exim.pl, system_filter.exim

I havn't really had a chance to test it yet as I *just* got it going, but if anyone wants to give it a go, here's your chance :)

Once completed, it will come standard will all DirectAdmin installs.

We'll also let people know how to upgrade their current version (should be the same process as above, minus the rpm building)

John

not working

It overwrites the exim file in /etc/sysconfig/exim

change:

DAEMON="no"
QUEUE="15m"

to

DAEMON="yes"
QUEUE="15m"

and then services exim restart

Last edited:
Well I mentioned that it was beta and I havn't tested it yet :)
It's just the very first attempt at getting it going, and I figured you'd rather start from something than nothing (you said you would do it yourself), so I gave you what I already had. I've never even *used* exim 4 yet.. but by looking at the error message and the config file, the exim 3 to 4 conversion script decided that it was going to add "user=" to the domain_filter router, when our exim 3 config doesn't have any user associated with it. Thus, remove the "user" line, and see if that works...

John

newaliases

Im missing the newaliases file so i cannot build the aliases file...any idea where it is? for the rest it seems that it works oke

Last edited:
Sorry, I couldn't say. There is no reference to "newaliases" anywhere in the exim.spec file... I'll have to see what's up.

another feedback

2003-07-26 01:41:15 19gCBV-0001Gs-5A == [email protected] R=domain_filter defer (-1): failed to open /etc/virtual/linuxexposed.com/filter: Permission denied (euid=500 egid=500)

it uses the userid/groupid from the email users in stead of the mail user.

ANy idea how i can fix this

Yes, like I said above, you can probably just remove the "user" line from the "domain_filters" directive... I'm not too sure why the exim conversion script decided to add it.. but it did :) If removing the line doesn't work, try setting it to "user=mail" ...

John

/etc/virtual/linuxexposed.com/filter should probably be owned by mail/mail.

User/Group 500 ("(euid=500 egid=500)") sounds like a virtual user, hence the permission problem. Can you attach your exim.conf file? Maybe we can take a look at it?

DirectAdmin Support said:
Yes, like I said above, you can probably just remove the "user" line from the "domain_filters" directive... I'm not too sure why the exim conversion script decided to add it.. but it did :) If removing the line doesn't work, try setting it to "user=mail" ...

John

You cannot remove the user directive because its complains without it!!

user=mail solved the problem.......good:)

I think I have some info for the newaliases file... firstly, its just a symbolic link to exim:

ln -sv /usr/sbin/exim /usr/bin/newaliases

secondly, exim doesn't need you to run after each change. It reads the alias file automatically and knows when changes have occured.

I'll add the command to the exim.spec file in the src.rpm later.. (note that I have not update the src.rpm file listed above yet.. it still contains all the errors on this forum, so if you *must* have exim 4, be ready to do some reading :))

John

Back