One VPS, One IP.

jdn1976

Verified User
Hello, I have a VPS and have only one IP.
But I want to use ns1 and ns2. My own domains. They request 2 diferent IPs.
The problem is where I have the VPS the charge a large amount for a single IP.

I have a dedicated server using cPanel and I have one free IP.
My question is: is there a way to redirect this free IP on server to VPS in order to use on VPS ns1 and ns2?

ns1 and ns2 can point to the same IP address. Redirection might be possible, but that is a complete perversion of DNS system and I don't want to even think about it.

I have a dedicated server using cPanel and I have one free IP.
My question is: is there a way to redirect this free IP on server to VPS in order to use on VPS ns1 and ns2?
As far as I know this is not possible
If you had another Directadmin server, or another VPS (even with a single ip) you could use that by using Directslave.
Or you might be able to install and use Directslave on your cPanel server seperate from cPanel. But not from within cPanel.

A large amount for a single ip? Changing VPS provider is another option. I would certainly not use 2 nameservers on 1 ip, even if it's possible.

It's a bad idea to have both DNS servers on the same machine anyway.

You can use the CP server as dns2 with a little scripting, I use my cpanel DNS cluster with DA, runs great.

With iptables you can redirect the traffic to another IP, but very bad idea.

You can use the CP server as dns2 with a little scripting, I use my cpanel DNS cluster with DA, runs great.

Ok thanks. I will add another IP to VPS then.

Ok thanks. I will add another IP to VPS then.
We are not asking why you are actually doing this, but there might be other solutions to your initial problem.

There is no much point in having one DNS server with two IPs, since it doesn't have redundancy.

There is an option under reseller/name servers for virtual nameservers. Just click create nameservers and check the checkbox for virtual.
Not ideal, but works.

1 ip for 2 nameservers is a bad idea, virtual it's the same issue.

There is no much point in having one DNS server with two IPs, since it doesn't have redundancy.
Nope, but it's a beginning, it's better then only 1 ip. This way is also easier when a bit later he ge's for example a very cheap VPS (like 2,50 at Hetzner) where he can install Directslave and have a real redundant DNS.
He can create wildcard DNS with letsencrypt, maybe also with 1 ip but wel... nah.. not 1 ip on 2 nameservers, it's just not right.

Nope, but it's a beginning, it's better then only 1 ip. This way is also easier when a bit later he ge's for example a very cheap VPS (like 2,50 at Hetzner)
VPS S at Ionos is 1€

Look at providers that offer free DA. You may get a cheap VPS to use the link for DNS Only.

Well... that VPS for 1 euro or even for 2 dollar it's already worth it for the costs of an ip.
You don't need DA for DNS only, you can also use Directslave.

Well... that VPS for 1 euro or even for 2 dollar it's already worth it for the costs of an ip.

If that specific VPS provider and location fits within your infrastructure, then it's no brainer (I don't use it for DNS). There's no guarantee, that it won't get more expensive in the future and though it's not hard to move DNS server to another place, one may find more relevant solutions.

You don't need DA for DNS only, you can also use Directslave.

Absolutely. It doesn't make any sense when we have Directslave for that.

How are you using Cpanel DNS Cluster with DA?
Right now I need to migrate about 100 accounts from Cpanel to new DA server without downtime.
PM me please! thanks in advance

How are you using Cpanel DNS Cluster with DA?
Right now I need to migrate about 100 accounts from Cpanel to new DA server without downtime.
PM me please! thanks in advance
I don't know if this script will help you

Thanks Brent,
I think this plugin DirectSlave si the next step.
I do not know if I could use DirectSlave on two VPS for NS1 and NS2 and use them for more than 4 servers (vps).
What do you think?

Ok not totally you sure I follow you but here goes.

The DA servers are Master DNS servers. Directslave is meant to be a "slave" to the Master. The DirectSlave connects to DA via the Multiserver setup.

Directslave is meant to be its own server NO DA installed on it.

if you want to use directslave I wrote a short script to install it it's listed here https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/directslave-go-3-public-beta.54992/post-296614

if it helps you want to have some separate DNS servers. I prefer to host my own PowerDNS cluster separate from Cpanel, DA, and everything. it solves the dilemma you are in with just one server because the DNS is somewhere else and not dependent on the one-panel vendor.

not sure if this helps... but I hope so.

Thanks Brent!

That is what I want, to have 2 DNS servers (ns1, ns2) separated from my 2 new DA VPS. So, I can add more servers using the same two DNS servers (ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com).

I was confused about this thing. I have always worked with only one dedicated server for all my clients. Today I want spread all my clients to some VPS.
Is that possible (keep using two nameserver) with DA multiserver setup connecting every VPS with each other or Do I have to use two separate DNS servers? I read something about master and slaves. I could have two VPS master, one with ns1 and another with ns2, and then add slave to them.

Am I right? sorry if my english is not clear.
Thanks in advance!

Back