One VPS, One IP.

sorry if my english is not clear
No worries. My English isn't clear either and I am from USA.
There are lots of ways to do it. Let me give you some simple parts first.

Do I have to use two separate DNS servers?
I could have two VPS master, one with ns1 and another with ns2.
For every DirectAdmin (DA) server, you have installed you have Master DNS as well. They all can share Zone files between them by using MultiServer Setup (MSS). So if you had 2 DA servers they are effectively or could be NS1 and 2 because each DA server is a DNS server as well. Make sense?

and then add slave to them.
Now if you don't need to or don't want to have more DA servers but need more DNS separation or help in that area. You can add slaves. Which wouldn't have the DA control panel installed. This would be just 1 or 2 very small VPS that have some type of DNS server software installed like DirectSlave or PowerDNS.

Is this helping or more confusing? You might want to hire it out if you're not sure.

Great Brent,

Thank you very much!
I only want a good fresh start with DA because I am leaving Cpanel forever. I want to do al things the right way, from start. Now with this huge customers (mode than 30 accounts) migration I will have to change all my customers DNS because they are stuck with my current Cpanel server (ns1+ns2.cpanelserver.com). I am not able to keep them because they are inside my current Cpanel server.

I am still testing DA since a month (backup migrations, plugins, errors).
So, I think this could be possible. Am I right?

- DA SERVER 1 (ns1.daserver.com) - Master
- - - DA SERVER 3
- - - DA SERVER 4
- - - DA SERVER 5

- DA SERVER 2 (ns1.daserver.com) - Master
- - - DA SERVER 6
- - - DA SERVER 7
- - - DA SERVER 8

- Only 2 MASTERS (1 and 2).
- Servers 3 to 8 connected to 1 and 2 with Multiserver setup as SLAVES.

- I this the right way to scale adding more servers adn keep two primary nameserver as masters (ns1 + ns2)?

I am trying to keep things simple (KISS).
Tell me if I am in the right way Brent!

Thanks!

I am leaving Cpanel forever.
we did to...

- - - DA SERVER 3
- - - DA SERVER 4
- - - DA SERVER 5

- DA SERVER 2 (ns1.daserver.com) - Master
- - - DA SERVER 6
- - - DA SERVER 7
- - - DA SERVER 8
i think you mean
- - - DA SERVER 3
- - - DA SERVER 4
- - - DA SERVER 5

- DA SERVER 2 (ns2.daserver.com) - Master
- - - DA SERVER 6
- - - DA SERVER 7
- - - DA SERVER 8

Yes all is good
If you have 8 DA servers each one will have DNS you won't need slaves... unless you just want more servers..:cool:

No Brent, today I only have one old dedicated server with Cpanel and two new VPS with DA waiting for all accounts migration. But its nice to dream a bit with a lot of servers! :cool: I think thatIt is better to have some small VPS than one big dedi. To avoid SPOF (Sinple Point Of Failure).

To be more clear, I have this two possible cases:

A)
  • 2 DNS SERVERS (DirectSlave), one for NS1 (ip: 1.1.1.1) and the other with NS2 (ip: 2.2.2.2).
  • 2 DA SERVER not using muti server setup. Using DNS only from the 2 external separated dns servers.
  • I could add more servers using this two DNS servers and without multi server setup.
B)
  • 2 DA SERVERS using multi server setup connecting each other, one server as NS1 (ip: 1.1.1.1) and the other with NS2 (ip: 2.2.2.2)
  • I could add more servers using this two separated servers as DNS servers and with multi server setup.

I am going crazy? jaja sorry for my confusing doubts.
Brent, I hope you could understand my bad english.

Thanks in advance!

my bad english
What area of the world is your bad English from if I may ask? (feel free to PM me if you don't want to divulge)

SPOF (Sinple Point Of Failure).
yes, this is the goal.. to not have SPOF.

• 2 DNS SERVERS (DirectSlave), one for NS1 (ip: 1.1.1.1) and the other with NS2 (ip: 2.2.2.2).
  • 2 DA SERVER not using muti server setup. Using DNS only from the 2 external separated dns servers.
  • I could add more servers using these two DNS servers and without multi server setup.
A first.
1) 2 DNS SERVERS (DirectSlave) would have to be connected to each 2 DA SERVER using muti server setup.
You would not have to interconnect the 2 DA servers if you didn't want to but you could (this is B).
2) 2 DA SERVER (these are Masters) not using muti server setup. Using DNS only from the 2 external separated dns servers. These would be Slaves getting the info from the DA masters aka DA NS1 and 2.
3) I could add more servers using these two DNS servers and without multi server setup. You can always add more servers ;) They do have to connect in the DNS system you are creating here somehow.

B Second

• 2 DA SERVERS using multi server setup connecting each other, one server as NS1 (ip: 1.1.1.1) and the other with NS2 (ip: 2.2.2.2)
  • I could add more servers using these two separate servers as DNS servers and with multi server setup.
Both points are true and doable.

Yes you could add a 3rd small directslave to both with MSS as well.

B is most likely the easiest.

In general, I think you get it. You just have to sort of pick one and see how it goes for you. Don't fear change because 2 months after you do this you may need or want something different. it's all learning and experience.

What area of the world is your bad English from if I may ask? (feel free to PM me if you don't want to divulge)
I am from Argentina!

In general, I think you get it. You just have to sort of pick one and see how it goes for you. Don't fear change because 2 months after you do this you may need or want something different. it's all learning and experience.
Thats the issue! I do not have time to play because my customers websites and mails are involved.
I am learning a lot with DA because it has a different approach. With Cpanel everything was solved with buttons and tech ignorance.
I do not want that, that is why I want to make things right from start. To make my business grow gradually without issues.

My main goal is to keep 2 DNS server for all my customers and never changed again (ns1 + ns2).
Then, I would add more DA servers when necessary, always using my current DNS servers (ns1 + ns2).
All this is new to me, I have never needed to migrate accounts from my dedicated server. Now with evil Cpanel I have to moved soon.
Now I have to change about 30 domains DNS due to Cpanel migration. I do not know how to create a pair of external DNS servers and make them work with both Cpanel and DA servers.

And about DNS servers, I think about this two cases (A / B) because I do not trust using Free DirectSlave today if tomorrow could be a paid software.
That is why i think using DA servers to host and DNS for all the rest of my servers could be a reasonable option.

I know you have experience Brent and you seems to enjoy helping others and I really appreciate that!
Its the best way to enforce this DA community!

Some philosophical answers maybe this time...

I do not have time to play because my customer's websites and mails are involved.
Then hire someone if you are under a time crunch. Learning takes time and it never goes away. It's all just work to do.
I am learning a lot with DA because it has a different approach.
Learning is great.
With Cpanel everything was solved with buttons and tech ignorance.
I do not want that, that is why I want to make things right from start.
Yes, DA is not for the faint of heart and non techie. Those that were or are just businessmen have trouble with DA.
To make my business grow gradually
good plan
without issues
All systems are created by Man, therefore it is issue prone. Only God himself is Prefect. You fell off your bicycle as a kid? its how you get up that counts. right?
never changed again
Never is a really long time. Change is constant in life and IT...
All this is new to me
I understand. We all were there I switched last July.
evil Cpanel
I call it Voldermort Panel now.
And about DNS servers, I think about this two cases (A / B) because I do not trust using Free DirectSlave today if tomorrow could be a paid software.
That is why I think using DA servers to host and DNS for all the rest of my servers could be a reasonable option.
All good reasons. Remember Centos, Debian, BSD, Apache, Exim, and on and on are all free... What would you need to do if tomorrow redhat canceled CentOS. Just for your thinking.
I know you have experience Brent and you seems to enjoy helping others and I really appreciate that!
I am just a Regular Guy. Just like you. I do like helping. I think we are all here to help each other in life.
I am from Argentina!
So Cool never been there. I am a history buff and recently learned about the connection to WW2.

What is the main food dish of your country aka the National dish? I love food...
Is the language Spanish there?

So Cool never been there. I am a history buff and recently learned about the connection to WW2.

What is the main food dish of your country aka the National dish? I love food...
Is the language Spanish there?

Yes! It is a great country with all landscapes and weathers. I love it.
Main food is ASADO, includes different types of cuts of meat that are roasted on a grill over low heat. But there is a big merge in gastronomy between different immigrations from Italy, Spain, France and more from Latin America. It has a lot of History and connections with other countries.
Yes, the main language is Spanish (español).

What I do not love is the bad politicians here and the worst economy in Latin America.
In my country 1 USB = 100 argentine pesos. Now you know why I have to think twice every move with my servers. It is expensive.

Thank you for your words. I really appreciate this detail from you.
I will try and learn setting 2 external DNS servers and connected them with my 2 DA VPS.
I hope next month could migrate all accounts.

Thanks!

Hi again Brent,

I do not know what happened with Ruskin post.
Maybe he was asking about ONE VPS, ONE IP, and not my issue about DA servers and DNS.
I should stop writing here.

Have you seen my new options A and B?
Is something worng?

Back