OS support for DirectAdmin

CanadaGuy

Verified User
To what extent are the various operating systems "supported" by DA? I chose Debian 10 as my host since that's what I'm most familiar with, but I read in a few places that DA is developed on CentOS primarily.

Are there advantages to operating DA on CentOS vs Debian? Is Debian support good enough that features are ported quickly so as to not really be a concern?

I'm not looking for which is a better OS, just which is best suited for running DA.

Well first I am sure you have seen this https://www.directadmin.com/install.php
Debian is the most used Linux os for servers . Great distro, great stability and on
Centos can become Cloudlinux if needed. Great distro great stability. I believe it is true DA develops on Centos first but I could be wrong.

For me I liked them and understand them both. I choose to choose one distro for everything. Makes the learning and the concepts rememberable. So choose the one you find best overall.

Well first I am sure you have seen this https://www.directadmin.com/install.php
Debian is the most used Linux os for servers . Great distro, great stability and on
Centos can become Cloudlinux if needed. Great distro great stability. I believe it is true DA develops on Centos first but I could be wrong.

For me I liked them and understand them both. I choose to choose one distro for everything. Makes the learning and the concepts rememberable. So choose the one you find best overall.

You have summarized things pretty well. I was considering CentOS for a long time to allow updating to CloudLinux, but I figured I probably wouldn't do it for cost reasons.

Can you do a DA back up on Debian, and restore it on CentOS? Or are there OS settings buried inside the backups?

Setup a test server and go for it.. its just plain good fun..

Oh just buy one your are in deep now...
haha, I'm not quite deep yet. I have one purchased license that I have setup, but I don't want to muck it up just yet. I'll see how open DA people are. If they grant my request, then that's a +1 to them!

Well they are Canadians... You have a good as chance as any of us..

I believe it is true DA develops on Centos first but I could be wrong.

Any DA support or admins able to confirm or correct this?

I don't really have a preference aside from wanting the software to run well and problem free.

Back