Personal license: Can I have a parked domain redirect to a site domain without going against the domain limit? E.G. MyDomain.com -> MyDomain.org

IT_Architect

Verified User
I have three full licenses now on dedicated servers, but I plan to get rid of my shares to a partner, and I like DirectAdmin, so I want to move some personal sites to a VM somewhere. On the Personal license, can I have parked domains and have them redirect to a site domain without it counting against the domain count? E.G. MyDomain.com & .net -> MyDomain.org? E.G. the parked domains would have to be listed in the DNS or any other ideas welcome. The only reason I'm being so cheap about it is I am moving to work with orphans in a foreign country and I won't have much income so I'm adjusting my expenses to poverty level income.

Last edited:
I do not know anything about parked domains.
But for DirectAdmin every domain you add with add domain function will count as an domain to DirectAdmin. So my guess is that parked domain do not get an exeption on this.

That's what I'm thinking too based on how I do it now, but it never hurts to ask to find out if I'm overlooking something.

The best way to find out quickly is email [email protected]
Your not giving up on FreeBSD are you?
I'd rather not leave FreeBSD. What I've gotten used to since we found out how much more of a load it could handle over Linux, and we've used VMware's ESXi hypervisor on the bare metal, which gives me KVM capability and snapshots, and FreeBSD VMs, which enables easy and free backups, redundancy by backing up the VM to another server, and instant and perfect restores when I screw something up. (We tried hyper-v and XEN too which were far inferior, but never tried KVM) To add insult to injury, disk performance is way faster in a VM than on bare metal. It costs me a little RAM, about exactly 25% on CPU power, but cores and threads are so cheap these days. However, I have bare metal servers today inside Softlayer, Dallas that I'm not certain I will have access to in the future, and if I do, free rent might be more than I want to pay if I have to be at his beck-and-call when he wants maintenance performed.

I tried to make a suggestion, but I can't do it from the forum here. They only allow it from a social media account which I don't have and don't want for now. Sales is not keeping up Comparison of web hosting control panels so it makes it look like DirectAdmin is not being maintained.

Moreover, cPanel has a problem since CENTOS is bailing on them, and it is the only free distro they support at the moment. It's a perfect time to bring out how DirectAdmin supports more distros and FreeBSD. If they extol the virtues of FreeBSD and get a few people to try it, it is somewhere cPanel cannot follow (they tried before and failed), and it exudes competence of the DirectAdmin authors. They need to mention it is far less resource intensive as well.

Moreover, people are used to the cPanel/WHM divided mess and the object oriented interface of DirectAdmin simply makes more sense to users once they actually experience something outside of the only thing they see as normal. You wouldn't wish for a car if the only thing you knew was a horse. Kudos for their 60 day trial that looks like it's real this time. Before they had it in name only, but it was too much of a PITA to make it worthwhile trying something you don't even know you will like.

Most things I wish for is already on their list such as automatic SSL for mail.mydomain.com etc.

Last edited:
I'd rather not leave FreeBSD.
Great to hear.
how much more of a load it could handle over Linux
Yep its way awesome. I hope they keep support for 13 here https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/updating-release-to-release.62230/post-320791
It's a perfect time to bring out how DirectAdmin supports more distros and FreeBSD. If they extol the virtues of FreeBSD and get a few people to try it, it is somewhere cPanel cannot follow
So true..
I am @Factor over on FreeBSD.

Back