PHP 8.0 installation fails

Freddy

Verified User
I tried installing PHP 8.0 as a second PHP release and it stopped here:
Code:
/bin/sh /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/libtool --silent --preserve-dup-deps --mode=compile cc -std=gnu99 -Iext/exif/ -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/ext/exif/ -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/include -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/main -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0 -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/ext/date/lib -I/usr/local/include/libxml2 -I/usr/local/include/libpng16 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/icu/include -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/ext/mbstring/libmbfl -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/ext/mbstring/libmbfl/mbfl -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/TSRM -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/Zend    -Wno-clobbered -Wall -Wextra -Wno-strict-aliasing -Wno-implicit-fallthrough -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-sign-compare -g -O2 -fvisibility=hidden -DZEND_SIGNALS   -DZEND_ENABLE_STATIC_TSRMLS_CACHE=1 -c /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/ext/exif/exif.c -o ext/exif/exif.lo
/bin/sh /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/libtool --silent --preserve-dup-deps --mode=compile cc -std=gnu99 -Iext/fileinfo/ -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/ext/fileinfo/ -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/include -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/main -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0 -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/ext/date/lib -I/usr/local/include/libxml2 -I/usr/local/include/libpng16 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/icu/include -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/ext/mbstring/libmbfl -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/ext/mbstring/libmbfl/mbfl -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/TSRM -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/Zend    -Wno-clobbered -Wall -Wextra -Wno-strict-aliasing -Wno-implicit-fallthrough -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-sign-compare -g -O2 -fvisibility=hidden -DZEND_SIGNALS   -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/ext/fileinfo/libmagic -c /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/ext/fileinfo/fileinfo.c -o ext/fileinfo/fileinfo.lo
/bin/sh /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/libtool --silent --preserve-dup-deps --mode=compile cc -std=gnu99 -Iext/fileinfo/ -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/ext/fileinfo/ -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/include -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/main -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0 -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/ext/date/lib -I/usr/local/include/libxml2 -I/usr/local/include/libpng16 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/icu/include -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/ext/mbstring/libmbfl -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/ext/mbstring/libmbfl/mbfl -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/TSRM -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/Zend    -Wno-clobbered -Wall -Wextra -Wno-strict-aliasing -Wno-implicit-fallthrough -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-sign-compare -g -O2 -fvisibility=hidden -DZEND_SIGNALS   -I/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/ext/fileinfo/libmagic -c /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-8.0.0/ext/fileinfo/libmagic/apprentice.c -o ext/fileinfo/libmagic/apprentice.lo
cc: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla> for instructions.
make: *** [ext/fileinfo/libmagic/apprentice.lo] Error 1

What I did:
Code:
./build set php2_release 8.0
./build update
./build versions (shows me the new PHP version)
./build update_versions

What to do here?

It seems that my server ran out of memory. It's a VPS with only 1024MB of memory. This is normally not a problem. At least not for all previous versions of PHP. Is the installation of PHP 8.0 buggy or does it simply require more memory? I am tempted to try the installation on a VPS with more memory but if the installation is buggy (or leaking memory) then I'd rather not do it.

Anyone else experiencing problems with the installation of PHP 8.0?

Just add some swap memory as a file, this should solve the problem.

Just add some swap memory as a file, this should solve the problem.
The server already has 1GB swap space. Does the installation really need more? That is going to be a problem when it updates automatically.

Use this solution to find minimal memory usage, SWAP, or anyelse

Thanks. That makes sense.

But I gave it another shot. After a server reboot the installation proceeded without running out of memory. I did not change the swap size. This is my only server with such low memory so it probably wont be a problem on the other servers.

We have the same problem with php 8.0.0.

We have dedicated server with 32G RAM and I just activated SWAP with 32G.
This is not problem with OOM, this is DA problem probably.

ERRORS > https://pastebin.com/95iUem2m

Can someone confirm?

We have the same problem with php 8.0.0.

We have dedicated server with 32G RAM and I just activated SWAP with 32G.
This is not problem with OOM, this is DA problem probably.

ERRORS > https://pastebin.com/95iUem2m

Can someone confirm?
Your problem is not RAM related one. I’d suggest creating a support ticket if the license has it included. It might be a bug in CloudLinux lsapi for PHP8.

bdacus01: I had a problem with php8 and lsphp.

The solution which worked for me is:
./build php_expert 8.0 lsapi

Back