PHP5 segmentation fault after update

CISWS

Verified User
Today I updated my Direct Admin configuration as I did every month. Unfortunately on four servers Apache did not start after these updates. It turned out to be a problem in PHP5 (mod_php to be exactly) because after removing (commenting out) LoadModule php5_module /usr/lib/apache/libphp5.so in httpd-phpmodules.conf Apache starts again. I tried to recompile PHP5.4, 5.5 and 5.6 but always the same error.

I know that we should migrate to PHP7.x and on one server it was possible to assign PHP7.3 to all websites so it's not a real issue on that one. But on the other three servers my customers still have old(er) software that is not compatible with PHP7.x so that is a real problem at the moment.

At last I got PHP5 back working again by changing the php mode to php-fpm for both PHP5.6 and PHP7.2:

#PHP Settings
php1_release=5.6
php1_mode=php-fpm
php2_release=7.2
php2_mode=php-fpm

I posted this here for the maintainers to have a look at this issue and for system administrators to find a work-around of this problem in case they also run into it.

1. You can have only one PHP in mod-php mode.

2. You should not use mod-php on shared hosting (all sites run with the same user so when permissions are messed up one customer can read or even modify the files of another).

3. What does it mean "I updated my Direct Admin configuration as I did every month"? The configuration is done once - why do you update it monthly and what exactly you do update?

Hello Wattie,

Thanks for your respons. My answers:

1. I only had one mod-php active (PHP5), PHP7 was running as php-fpm.

2. AFAIK this is a default setup in Direct Admin, running mod-php on a shared hosting. Doesn't mod_ruid2 take care of running the script as the owner of the directory and files? Anyway, I am now using PHP5 also as php-fpm so that is covered :)

3. I should have written the Direct Admin installation instead of configuration. I do at least once a month an update of the operating system and all the programmes that are managed by Direct Admin's custombuild.

Kind regards,
Roland

Back