Plesk migration to DA

Hexweb

Verified User
Hello community!

I've looked around a bit on the forum if there's a simple method to migrate a plesk server to DA but the topics i found are from the period of 2008 - 2010 that's 3 a 4 years ago.

Have somethings changed in the meantime with the migration method (plesk -> cp -> da)?
I don't have the means to setup a CP server so that's out of the question for me.

What are the other methods for migrating a plesk server to DA. (Directory locations, etc.)
Couldn't really find it on the forums.

Regards,

Marc

Thanks for the link, But i mean the paths where the Plesk data need to be copied to.

So where the Public_html, Mail, etc is from plesk is located.
And a logical how to for migrating it.

The only way you can convert from Plesk to DirectAdmin is manually.

First: You WILL need to create all your resellers and users on the DirectAdmin server manually.

You'll need to manually set up the domains under each user, manually, including all aliases, redirects, etc. using DirectAdmin controls.

You'll also need to set up all the email virtual addresses, forwards, aliases, (DirectAdmin considers aliases and forwards as one and the same), etc. DirectAdmin has a simple mailing list structure which uses Majordomo. If your accounts and Plesk server use something else for mailing lists you'll need to install that manually.

Don't forget to set up SSL sites as reqired; give each it's own IP# and decide if you want to have all site content in public_html, or if you want insecure (http) content in public_html and secure content (https) in private_html. Set DirectAdmin accordingly.

Once you're sure each account is properly set up, you can consider moving content:

HTML: DirectAdmin stores content to be delivered either in public_html (for both secure and insecure content) or public_html (for insecure content) and private_html (secure content), so move your content as required. I can't discuss permissions because to a great extent that depends on how yu've set up PHP to run. But generally all content for all users should be owned by their username and usually (on CentOS anyway) with the usernme's group.

CGI: If you've got CGI content to be sure to put it in DirectAdmin's cgi-bin directory for each user.

MySql: DirectAdmin uses this naming convention for databases: username_databasename. So you may need tp reme your databases. If you do, you'll likely need to change files in your sites to address databases by their new names. If you can get standard MySQL exports of your databases you may be able to import them using the DirectAdmin control panel; otherwise you may need to use phpmyadmin (from inside the DirectAdmin control panel). You probably won't get far asking here if MySQL databases run into issue son DirectAdmin; if so it's generally a version/feature issue you'll have to work out. Google is your friend.

EMAIL is the hardest it gets. DirectAdmin and Plesk have both been using IMAP for many years, but store and manage email differently. Does Plesk still use qmail? DirectAdmin uses exim. DirectAdmin uses dovecot to manage both imap and pop3 delivery. DirectAdmin does use the standard IMAP file structure, but puts it in different places. By default DirectAdmin uses exim to deliver email to mailboxes but lots of us (including me) switch to using Dovecot, since with dovecot we can integrate sieve into our webmail clients and give the clients email filtering based on content.

You're welcome to try to move email using command line tools, but every time I've tried I've given up. Instead I've used a desktop IMAP client, logged into the old server and the new server, under the new server login created the filke structure manually, and movedfrom the old server to the new one from the desktop IMAP client. Slow and Tedious, but it works and doesn't give me fits. If you want to use the command line to save time you're a braver man than I am; have fun.

Webmail? Does Plesk still use Horde? DirectAdmin offers several webmail clients, but not Horde, so either switch your clients to RoundCube (preferred gecuse it implemtns using sieve to filter better than most) or install Horde yourself. There are threads on these forums which may help.

What did I leave out? Probably lots. And note of course that it's been over ten years since I've last migrated a Plesk client base to DirectAdmin. I take NO responsibility for any mistakes I may have made in these posts, even if they cause you to lose your data. I'm not available to do the work for y ou, and if I were you likely can't afford even one hour at my hourly rate because if y ou could you could certainly afford a month of a CPanel box so you could go the Plesk -> CPanel -> DirectAdmin route.

Good Luck!

Jeff

Heey jeff,

Thanks for your response!

Your article gave me alot of insight in the migrating process of Plesk -> DA
But i have a few extra questions.

Do you know where the domains/users of plesk are located and the mail directory?

The mail on plesk runs on is postfix (It runned on qmail before).
And is there a way to move the user mail password from plesk to da mail?\

thanks!

Regards,

Marc

Do you know where the domains/users of plesk are located and the mail directory?
Are you asking if I know where Plesk stores these? No I don't. As I wrote, it's been over ten years since I've had anything to do with Plesk.
The mail on plesk runs on is postfix (It runned on qmail before).
More important then the software used is the directory structure used.
And is there a way to move the user mail password from plesk to da mail?
Possibly yes.

If Ples stores the passwords where you can find them, and if they use the standard Linux method for encoding passwords you can save them into the file DirectAdmin uses.

Unless Plesk uses standard passwd file structure and saves them by domain you won't be able to copy over files, but you may be able to copy and paste into domain pased passwd files, once you've created the users. DirectAdmin stores them in /etc/virtual/EXAMPLE.COM/passwd

Jeff

Has anyone done a recent migration from Plesk to DA and can offer some details to keep in mind and look out for?

Yes I can understand why you say that :)
I'm also reminding people and DA that this has been a question and missing feature for at least 8 years.

I'm also reminding people and DA that this has been a question and missing feature for at least 8 years.
Still no reason to necropost and up posts from 8 years ago. It will rather annoy people than do any benefit.

This is the correct place for such things. And even better than necroposting, you can create a new post for this and then point to the request. ;)
Big chance lot of people will up your request (if not already present).

i just investigate my files and find 2 user

admin:x:1001:1002::/home/admin:/bin/bash
plesk-migrator-bz8503j8p3asnblm:x:1001:1002::/home/plesk-migrator-bz8503j8p3asnblm:/bin/sh

how can i remove this user

because this made installatron can not run and show this

Error: No session exists. Please re-start your session. Technical error: Unable to create session for `plesk-migrator-bz8503j8p3asnblm'.

Ah I see. You probably used the plesk-migrator to migrated from Plesk to CPanel some time, or maybe to do that and then use the cPanel migrator to migrate from cPanel to DA.

First try to see if you have the user in DA and delete from there.
I don't know now Installatron is connected to this account, so I can give you a command to delete this user, but you might need to install Installatron again.

So use these commands at your own risk. You can do this as root or with the sudo command for example:
Code:
userdel plesk-migrator-bz8503j8p3asnblm
rm -rf /home/plesk-migrator-bz8503j8p3asnblm
the second command only if that plesk migrator has a home dir.

Back