Poll for new default install options: php5/suPhp/dovecot

What php / suPhp setup do you want for the default install?

• Plain Php 4

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Plain Php 5

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • Php 4 and suPhp

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Php 5 and suPhp

Votes: 32 26.0%
  • Php 4 + ( Php 5 + suPhp )

Votes: 55 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
check the suphp how to in the guides section that is workable, I have it setup so php4 is a module and works completely normal and php5 as cgi. It is possible with htaccess files as well to make .php use php5.

This thread is like a dead now, why? :) Keep posting... You suggestions are really useful.

Current Status?

Okay this has been talked about for a while... :p

So where are we at? :confused:

I think with the current GoPHP5 campaign -- DirectAdmin should also assist and commit to dropping php4.

The majority known and supported apps are committed to going to php5. It's the old/unsupported apps that are likely to get left with php4. That in itself is enough of a security risk that the apps also die a cruel death.

Sure run php4 for the next 6 months.. .but it's needing to die so developers of PHP4 can bury the thing.

Let's help 'em along the way! :D

Hello,

We've got a new build script here, which installs apache 2.2 and php5 by default. We're working on adding install time options in the setup.sh to give admins the option of installing it. Right now you already can by simply typing:
Code:
touch /root/.custombuild
prior to running the setup.sh, and the installer will find it and take care of the rest.

Upgrade guides for existing servers is here:
http://files.directadmin.com/services/custombuild/beta
http://www.directadmin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

John

My small sugestion

Php Safe Mode Settings
Enable Open BaseDir also with - Default for new domains on off

It is my understanding that php5 has nearly full support of all php4 functionality.

Riddle me this.

Why keep php4 installed, when php5 is quicker, better functionality, and more stable, and with php6 quickly approaching?

-rob

Why keep php4 installed, when php5 is quicker, better functionality, and more stable, and with php6 quickly approaching?

While php5 does have all the capabilities of php4, in the beginning there were incompatibilities and caveats which caused php5 not able to just drop in place of php4 and keep everything running.

This may not be so much the case anymore. Though I still hear all the time about hosts going from php4 to 5 and many users scripts breaking in the process. Usually only needing small tweaks if any... But none the less not 100% backwards compatible IMHO

It depends on circumstances but if one has customers needing php4 which they cant afford to lose then that is a reason to keep php4. I dont see any harm in a configuration that has both php5 and php4.

Back