Poll for new default install options: php5/suPhp/dovecot

What php / suPhp setup do you want for the default install?

• Plain Php 4

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Plain Php 5

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • Php 4 and suPhp

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Php 5 and suPhp

Votes: 32 26.0%
  • Php 4 + ( Php 5 + suPhp )

Votes: 55 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
TheBear said:
That said, there is a php based helpdesk that I am interested in that requires php5
I'm interested in the same helpdesk :) .

But that doesn't mean I'm interested in forcing all my clients to switch to PHP 5.

Which is what will happen, because you get your choice:

PHP4

PHP5

PHP5 running in PHP4 compatibility mode (in which case the helpdesk won't run, and other PHP programs requiring PHP5 probably won't run either)

PHP5 running as module, PHP4 running as CGI (which will require all users who require PHP4 to make a lot of changes)

PHP4 running as module, PHP5 running as CGI (which will mean the helpdesk won't run, and other PHP programs requiring PHP5 probably won't run either, at least not in default installations)

I think our next server will offer PHP5/Apache 2, but we just put one in and that's going to be a while before we put in another.

I'm thinking of putting a server into our office to run PHP5/Apache 2 now, in the meantime. We have static IPs and a fast enough connection to use just for helpdesk/billing.

And I don't have to use an expensive 1U server.

Jeff

That's the one I'm thinking of. Their new billing system (out soon) also requires PHP5.

The same people who wrote whois.cart.

Jeff

jlasman said:
That's the one I'm thinking of. Their new billing system (out soon) also requires PHP5.

The same people who wrote whois.cart.

Jeff

So a new version of whois.cart?

Replying again after reading that thread.

I still want php4 as standard builtin to apache.

I'd also like suPHP php5.

Is there an easy How-To somewhere on how to add that? If there is I'll try it on a testbed.

Jeff

Yeah I'm looking for this as well (or even PHP5 as apache and 4 as suphp). I'm willing to be the testing duck if necessary.

eger said:
I'm just taking a guess here that it might be http://auraclesupport.com/. It has a growing popularity and also requires php 5.

Hello,

yep, that is the one.

Unrelated, but funny thing, I only today got an email that there had been updates to this thread!

Also waiting on the new product that is replacing whois.cart, especially since I have owned modernbill for over 2 years and have yet to be able to setup a single customer in it. And their support (modernbill that is) sucks royally!

Dovecot sounds good.

I think I'd go for php4 default plus php5 and suPHP optional. I'm concerned about the high loads suPHP might bring after I read this thread.

AuracleSupport is pretty nice but after having tried both kayako and auracle I must admit my preference is with kayako even though I dread that they don't support mac osx for the insta-alert.

default custom apache install options

Most DirectAdmin customers are running a shared webserver for their customers and have little control what kind of crappy insecure scripts their customers upload to the server.

When possible, you should protect your systems against possible abuse, that would reduce the risk for being blacklisted or getting your business a bad name ;)

Therefore I would stronly suggest the use of suPHP, the latest version 0.6.2 is not noticable slower using PHP version 5.2.0 than a plain php 5.2.0

I would also suggest the use of the PHP hardened patch, that adds some extra protection and logging options to PHP without affecting functionality. More information:
http://www.hardened-php.net/hphp/index.html
(Do not use the Suhosin patch on the same website, that WILL break some php applications like Gallery and phpBB :mad: )

If DirectAdmin would like to be a modern admin panel, you should choose PHP version 5.2.0 and Apache 2.2 with an option to add PHP version 4 support via CGI. I hope the majority of all other webhosting companies using DirectAdmin agrees with me, but you cannot satisfy everybody's wish for a set of configuration options. (And I think DirectAdmin support desk would get crazy if they have to support 16 or more different configuration sets :( ).

With kind regards,

Michiel Klaver
GrafiX Internet B.V.

Stationsplein 20
2907 MJ Capelle a/d IJssel
The Netherlands

- In-house Internet datacenter facility in Capelle a/d IJssel, Holland -

AuracleSupport is pretty nice but after having tried both kayako and auracle I must admit my preference is with kayako even though I dread that they don't support mac osx for the insta-alert.
Have you looked at the eTicket open source solution?

Jeff

Most DirectAdmin customers are running a shared webserver for their customers and have little control what kind of crappy insecure scripts their customers upload to the server.

When possible, you should protect your systems against possible abuse, that would reduce the risk for being blacklisted or getting your business a bad name ;)

Therefore I would stronly suggest the use of suPHP, the latest version 0.6.2 is not noticable slower using PHP version 5.2.0 than a plain php 5.2.0

I would also suggest the use of the PHP hardened patch, that adds some extra protection and logging options to PHP without affecting functionality. More information:
http://www.hardened-php.net/hphp/index.html
(Do not use the Suhosin patch on the same website, that WILL break some php applications like Gallery and phpBB :mad: )

If DirectAdmin would like to be a modern admin panel, you should choose PHP version 5.2.0 and Apache 2.2 with an option to add PHP version 4 support via CGI. I hope the majority of all other webhosting companies using DirectAdmin agrees with me, but you cannot satisfy everybody's wish for a set of configuration options. (And I think DirectAdmin support desk would get crazy if they have to support 16 or more different configuration sets :( ).

With kind regards,

Michiel Klaver
GrafiX Internet B.V.

Stationsplein 20
2907 MJ Capelle a/d IJssel
The Netherlands

- In-house Internet datacenter facility in Capelle a/d IJssel, Holland -

I have implemented the other way php 4 dso module and a php 5 cgi using suphp.

Php5 may be the all new singing and dancing version but very few people are requesting it and the number of people using old script still exceeds people requiring php5 for new code.

apache 2.2 defenitly isnt as stable as 1.3 yet either, 1.3 just works under heavy workloads whilst I have witnessed 2.2 lock up a few times.

So what is the conclude and when will it be released? i don't care if it's php4 as cgi, php 5 as module, or the other way round. but i do need both php.

neorder, we are working on it, but no release date set. There will be some chooses what and how to install.

Back