Possible Bug in DA - Global IP not assigned to resellers automatically

But best way to find out if there is interest for this, is to add this suggestion to DA's feedback forum.

I do not feel like it. If I was asking for something additional, maybe. But this part should be considered core. If you and others think that DA is fine the way it is, let it be.

I was just trying to offer my thoughts hoping it might improve DA and make it more acceptable to adopt. I am not here to argue.

It seems there has been some development regarding global IP.

Thank you for going this far. I know you all are doing hard work. But it seems you are implementing this feature from a sys admin's point of view.

We need features that seem friendly to end users who know nothing about servers. In the past few months, 90% of servers and reseller accounts I have sold reverted back to another control panel. We can argue that the features work, which I have no doubt, but from my conversion rates, it seems something is off.

The way the global IP is being implemented, old DA users can understand. But it is confusing to newcomers.

Instead of implementing logic, could it be more intuitive?

Like a drop down field with three choices: Server IP, Reseller Shared IP, Global IP

Server IP = The server's primary (hostname) IP
Reseller Shared IP = A dedicated IP will automatically be assigned to the reseller and set to be shared among the reseller's users
Global IP = A global IP will be selected based on the auto_add_global_ip value
Hello,

Checking my end here, I've got test box with various different IP types, and when creating a Reseller, the options are:
  • Shared - Server
  • Shared - Reseller's IP
  • Assigned (uses one of the free ones)
  • 1.2.3.5 - Shared Global
  • 1.2.3.6 - Shared Global
The "auto_add_global_ip=1|random" setting I had set does not affect the list. (removed it, no change)
So let me know if I'm missing something, as all of the choices are there.

I could add the "Global - randomly selected", similar to how a new User list.
If auto_add_global_ip is used, it would randomly select from that list, else just one from the master list.

Or do you mean package options for which IPs the Reseller's ip.list ends up with?

Let me know, as we're always looking to make it more intuitive.

John

I was just trying to offer my thoughts hoping it might improve DA and make it more acceptable to adopt. I am not here to argue.
I'm sorry if you felt that I was trying to argue. I just was trying to explain why it was this way for DA. There is always room for improvement.

If I personally think DA is fine the way it is about the IP stuff, then this is a personal opinion/taste.
But as I also said, you're idea might indeed be a very good idea. Because people with more servers and/or ip's might light the selection box. Especially with ipv6 this might be good.

Thing is, that normally just this is why the feedback forum is there. So DA can see how many are interested and make it a core thing.

I just see they reply'd, but that is one of the exceptions. Normally all new idea's are all via the Feedback forum.

Or do you mean package options for which IPs the Reseller's ip.list ends up with?

Let me know, as we're always looking to make it more intuitive.

John

Thank you for taking this to your consideration.

The options I mentioned need to be on the package configuration, not on the create new reseller interface, as we hardly ever use that interface.

Essentially, when a reseller will be created using WHMCS using a predefined package, it will follow the package configuration and assign the server/reseller shared IP/global IP.

At the same time, having more options in the create new reseller interface will certainly help you override package configuration or something that WHMCS or other billing panels can't do.

In regards to being intuitive, in my experience, I find end users (be it a server user or reseller) find DA complicated, often a single task requires multiple clicks, and often options are embedded 2/3 layers deep, or presented in a way so that they have a hard time to find.

In the end, they revert back to more expensive control panels. It does not result in any loss for me. I offer both, they just ask to migrate them to another panel.

The advantage of being noob friendly is, they do not need to read any doc to perform basic operations, which seems to offset the cost difference for them. I want DA to shine. A bit more polishing at the cost of your hard work is badly needed.

If I personally think DA is fine the way

You are an advanced DA user. The number of advanced users hardly matters in any industry as they will always be able to find a way to make something work.

I respect your work, and the helping hand you extend to me and others. But if DA relies on usability based on advanced users' experiences, it would be on a downhill ride.

Please don't get me wrong. You will find a thousand times more end users using servers than there are sysadmins for them. We need to sell to both end users and sysadmins.

You are an advanced DA user.
I also was a beginner one time and I looked at it from that perspective, I didn't found it difficult or confusing at that time either.
But that could also be because at that time I already when starting with panels, I already had a lot of pc experience. Maybe that's the reason I didn't find it confusing.

Thank you for your compliments by the way.

Ofcourse I know a lot more end users are using servers, I just wonder what they want with a professional hosting panel if they don't want to be a hoster? As admin the should learn a bit, or pay te price (and get cP). But that's getting off-topic I guess.

I would like to repeat that it really was just a personal opinion and insight. Ofcourse DA does not have to rely on that. That would certainly a bit odd.

Please don't get me wrong either. The only thing I wanted to point out is that the feedback forum is really the only and best place to really get things really changed and/or put in new idea's and/or improvements. It works far more better then giving an idea on the forum. That's the reason that the shut down the idea section here and started the feedback forum.

Unless it's read by DA staff, which was now, but they mostly rely on the feedback forum too.
I might even support your suggestion because I already said I liked it, however.... on the appropriate forum, because it has a lot more chance of succeeding over there. That's all. ;)

Back