[PRE-ANNOUNCE] Exim Editor for DirectAdmin

skruf

Verified User
Hey,

This is an early announcement of the pending release of Exim Editor for DirectAdmin.

Exim Editor allows the DA Administrator to modify many of the features of Exim that currently must be done vi ssh.

Current features include:

Enable / Disable RBLs
Add / Remove domains to use the RBLs
Edit the exim.conf file
Modify the blacklist, whitelist and bad sender files
Edit the limit file
View usage files
Replace/Reinstall exim.conf
View backups of file edits

All of this is done from within the Exim Editor.

Our plans are to release a beta version within a few days and pending the results, have the initial release available shortly after. It is currently being run on CentOS and obviously we want to test it on all OSes.

Thanks for your time and stay tuned!

David

Hey,

Yes, based on what I have read the Exim Editor is an alternative to the SpamBlocker Plugin.

Actually a less expensive alternative.

David

Don't understand why spamblocker should not be free, howewer i don't use it.
What about your plugin ? free or not ?

Hey,

Ours will not be free. It will be affordable.

The reasoning behind it not being free is simple. It took a fair amount of work to code it.

Because of that and the on-going support/updates needed to ensure it functions properly in the future we felt we should set a fair price on it.

David

most like fair price, and up-to-date plugins, so i will wait your demo sample.

SpamBlocker IS free

SpamBlocker IS free and always has been. It's been included with DirectAdmin since the middle of 2004. All xemaps (or anyone else) who wants to use it has to do, is add domains to the /etc/use_rbl_domains file, create a web page for people to visit in the relatively unlikely event of a false positive, and make some changes to exim.conf so folk whose email is blocked will know to visit that page.

Before I wrote SpamBlocker (my name for the exim.conf file I wrote) the exim.conf file included with DirectAdmin was one originally written for Exim Version 3. (When DA switched to Exim Version 4 they automatically converted the exim.conf file using a utility supplied by the exim community.

That exim.conf file had virtually no spam-managing facilities, and in fact even accepted email for non-existent users, and later when it found the email undeliverable, attempted to return it to non-existent senders, or forged senders who never sent the spam to begin with, in effect turning exim into a spammer.

SpamBlocker was a great advance for its day, and JBMC (the company responsible for DirectAdmin) decided to include it with DirectAdmin soon afterwards; see this post.

SpamBlocker Plugin is NOT the same as SpamBlocker, and it's never been free. It's a commercial plugin devoped by a third-party to be sold at a profit. I used to have part ownership of the Spamblocker Plugin, but I'm no longer part of the project.

I'm not sure who'd consider us$29.95 not affordable; my understanding is the community chose the price based on a poll (see the poll here.

However in the two and a half years since SpamBlocker was written spammers have become much more insistent and much more effective.

SpamAssassin has become almost useless because the big (often criminal) spam sending groups always test their spam by filtering it through the latest SpamAssassin rulesets (and their own beysian filters) and changing it until it passes.

And the quantity of spam has almost tripled in the last year.

So we're completely rewriting our exim.conf file. When it's done it will be released (at no charge) as SpamBlocker Version 3. It's a complete rewrite.

Jeff

So seems you have more false positive than me ! I think i stay under 0 - 1%
I admit i worked +200 hours to find the best for my case these last 10 monthes.

xemaps said:
So seems you have more false positive than me ! I think i stay under 0 - 1%
I admit i worked +200 hours to find the best for my case these last 10 monthes.

That's a low percentage...why not share and help out the community? Maybe work with Jeff on an overall solution?

We certainly can, but it takes a few of us actually working together to do it.

I've PMd skruf and asked him to call me on our toll-free number.

Jeff

Back