Problems installing DA on clean Debian 6.0 x64

dlong500

Verified User
I've done this several times now and I'm a bit perplexed as to why there are still some issues with installing DA on a clean Debian 6.0 x64 machine (using Custombuild 1.2).

First, the issue with the MySQL client library version dependency is annoying to say the least, and NOT ONE of the proposed solutions listed in the KB (http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=236) works in my experience. Not even the recently added downloadable libmysqlclient.so.16 from the KB article appears to work, and instead I have to copy libmysqlclient.so.16 from /usr/local/mysql-5.5.9-linux2.6-x86_64/lib in order to get things straight. What's extremely annoying about this is that the DA install FAILS because of this broken dependency essentially requiring two runs of the install: one to get MySQL installed, and then another after manually adding the old libmysqlclient version. Why can't DA either remove the external dependency on that library altogether or at least update to the latest libmysqlclient.so.18 for Debian 6?

Second, there is a problem with custombuild breaking Debian's pre-installed Exim even if the Exim option is turned off in options.conf. Here is what the system shows before DA is installed:
Code:
aptitude search exim
i   exim4                                     - metapackage to ease Exim MTA (v4) installation
i   exim4-base                                - support files for all Exim MTA (v4) packages
i   exim4-config                              - configuration for the Exim MTA (v4)
v   exim4-config-2                            -
p   exim4-daemon-heavy                        - Exim MTA (v4) daemon with extended features, includ
p   exim4-daemon-heavy-dbg                    - debugging symbols for the Exim MTA (v4) packages
i   exim4-daemon-light                        - lightweight Exim MTA (v4) daemon
p   exim4-daemon-light-dbg                    - debugging symbols for the Exim MTA (v4) packages
p   exim4-dbg                                 - debugging symbols for the Exim MTA (v4) packages
p   exim4-dev                                 - header files for the Exim MTA (v4) packages
p   exim4-doc-html                            - documentation for the Exim MTA (v4) in html format
p   exim4-doc-info                            - documentation for the Exim MTA (v4) in info format
v   exim4-localscanapi-1.0                    -
v   exim4-localscanapi-1.1                    -
p   eximon4                                   - monitor application for the Exim MTA (v4) (X11 inte
p   geximon                                   - a monitor for the exim MTA
p   gforge-mta-exim4                          - collaborative development tool - mail tools (using
p   rexima                                    - a simple ncurses/command-line mixer
p   sa-exim                                   - SpamAssassin filter for Exim

And here is what shows after the DA install:

Code:
aptitude search exim
iB  exim                                           - Exim with the exiscan patch
pi  exim4                                          - metapackage to ease Exim MTA (v4) installation
pB  exim4-base                                     - support files for all Exim MTA (v4) packages
pB  exim4-config                                   - configuration for the Exim MTA (v4)
v   exim4-config-2                                 -
v   exim4-daemon                                   -
p   exim4-daemon-heavy                             - Exim MTA (v4) daemon with extended features, including e
p   exim4-daemon-heavy-dbg                         - debugging symbols for the Exim MTA (v4) packages
pB  exim4-daemon-light                             - lightweight Exim MTA (v4) daemon
p   exim4-daemon-light-dbg                         - debugging symbols for the Exim MTA (v4) packages
p   exim4-dbg                                      - debugging symbols for the Exim MTA (v4) packages
p   exim4-dev                                      - header files for the Exim MTA (v4) packages
p   exim4-doc-html                                 - documentation for the Exim MTA (v4) in html format
p   exim4-doc-info                                 - documentation for the Exim MTA (v4) in info format
v   exim4-localscanapi-1.0                         -
v   exim4-localscanapi-1.1                         -
p   eximon4                                        - monitor application for the Exim MTA (v4) (X11 interface
p   geximon                                        - a monitor for the exim MTA
p   gforge-mta-exim4                               - collaborative development tool - mail tools (using Exim
p   rexima                                         - a simple ncurses/command-line mixer
p   sa-exim                                        - SpamAssassin filter for Exim

Clearly there are some issues, as you can see all sorts of changes and broken dependencies. Running "aptitude install" after this appears to clear out the mess with a proposed solution, and then "aptitude install exim4" seems to get things back to the original state. However, it is unsettling that DA seems to be doing stuff with Exim behind the scenes when told not to manage or install Exim at all. Plus, running custombuild again will put the system into the same broken state. This doesn't bode well for updating the DA managed components down the line.

Finally, while this is less of an issue, it is still distracting to see the "/usr/local/lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libapt-pkg.so.4.10)" littered all over apt commands. I see the KB article (http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=372) about the issue but it would be helpful if a clearer explanation of what the "many report issues" were with the new version of libz and why it would still not be fixed in the latest DA, especially that it has now been many months without a resolution.

I really like DA and I'm not trying to nitpick or trash the software but simply trying to put forth the issues as I see them and asking for any clarifications or resolutions that anyone can provide. I don't think it's too much to ask for admins to not have to make manual changes to system files on a fully supported platform when just doing a standard install of the panel.

This is maybe not suitable for you. But for it is work and help me to resolve same issues like yours.

libmysqlclient.
install it from Debian repository. For me it work fine with DA

exim issue.
Try to download and install old exim package from http://files.directadmin.com/services/debian_6.0_64/da_exim-4.73.deb (wget ... ; dpkg -i ...)
it may resolve current broken dependencies.
after all broken exim dependences will be resolved, you can remove this package and compile exim by custombuild.

about libz.so.
Install it from repository (apt-get install zlib1g zlib1g-dev)
Later, remove any libz.so* from /usr/local/lib/ and run ldconfig.
You may need to recompile apache/php and other packages installed by custombuild.

And again. It may not fix problem with your installation, but it works for me.

libmysqlclient.
install it from Debian repository. For me it work fine with DA
I assume you mean the libmysqlclient16 package, which would conceivably provide the libmysqlclient.so.16 upon which DA depends. However, according to the Apt info about that package it seems to be related to MySQL 5.1.x, and since I'm using 5.5.x from Custombuild I'd be a little wary of issues that might pop up. In any case, I think it would still make much more sense for DA to somehow get rid of the dependency entirely (or at least use the most recent version).

exim issue.
Try to download and install old exim package from http://files.directadmin.com/services/debian_6.0_64/da_exim-4.73.deb (wget ... ; dpkg -i ...)
it may resolve current broken dependencies.
after all broken exim dependences will be resolved, you can remove this package and compile exim by custombuild.
This doesn't make sense. I don't want DA to have anything to do with installing or managing Exim. It is running perfectly fine before the DA install and I don't even use the box for any mail-related tasks except forms and admin notifications, so there's no need for DA/Custombuild to substitute something that works basically without modification or configuration from the Debian repo. The question is: what part of the Custombuild script is breaking the existing distribution's install of Exim?

about libz.so.
Install it from repository (apt-get install zlib1g zlib1g-dev)
Later, remove any libz.so* from /usr/local/lib/ and run ldconfig.
You may need to recompile apache/php and other packages installed by custombuild.
Those packages are already installed on Debian from the start even with a minimal install (located in /usr/lib). The problem is that Custombuild puts all it's libraries in /usr/local/lib which get's searched before /usr/lib. So, the solution here is to either have DA use an updated version of zlib or to at least (until zlib gets updated) have the build script perform the "hack" posted by maddogx as follows:
Code:
rm /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1.2.3
rm /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1
ln -s /usr/lib/libz.so.1.2.3.4 /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1

Thanks for your post, but I'd still like to hear directly from DirectAdmin regarding these issues.

Back