Process to migrate from CentOS6 to CloudLinux7 with the least downtime?

justjosh

Verified User
Hi all,

Have some old machines to upgrade, would like to know the best way to avoid the least amount of downtime. I understand I can do a straight upgrade of CentOS6 to Centos7 then to CloudLinux7 but it would be much riskier than moving to a fresh server. Just can't figure out how to minimise downtime when the DNS points to different IPs especially for mail servers.

Thanks!

Hello,

No much changed, so you still can use "Server to server transfer of all accounts" to get a general overview on the process.

To speed up things, you might use rsync, instead of backuping homedirs and emails.

Hello,

Is there a way to add the client IPs to the new server without causing a conflict? i.e. Is there some staging mode where I can set everything before flipping the production switch on maybe by a reboot?

I presume all settings I have changed cannot be migrated with a simple process (confs edited, csf etc.)?

DirectAdmin does not limit you on it. You should contact your DC or VPS provider on the matter. I don't have any idea on how do they manage IP migrations.

Is there a way to add the client IPs to the new server without causing a conflict?

DirectAdmin does not limit you on it. You should contact your DC or VPS provider on the matter. I don't have any idea on how do they manage IP migrations.

I mean there will be two servers configured with the same batch of IPs so there will be conflict and downtime. Besides, restoring the backups on the new server would require the IPs to be already added?

DirectAdmin does not restrict you on IP usage. You can restore all existing account to a single IP on your new server, or move your IPs to a new server and then update routes. DirectAdmin does not restore IPs on user migration, that's up to you on which IPs you will use.

Once again, that's not covered by DirectAdmin, you should discuss it with your DC or VPS provider.

Back