ProFTPd problems..

Acid_Duck

Verified User
Hi,

today I finally got DA installed I added two admin
accounts. I added them both the same way, but for some reason one of them I can FTP in and the other one doesn't allow me to FTP, even using the right password I get the message authentication failed. Now I checked out /etc/proftpd.conf and Ic hecked /var/log/proftpd/access, /var/log/proftpd/auth and nothing. Please help!

Also, I was wondering if there would be a way for me to let's say disable the admin account and only run out of added admin accounts.. that way that would prevent anyone trying to do a brute force attack to guess our admin password. Thanks in advance.

Erik

Acid_Duck said:
Also, I was wondering if there would be a way for me to let's say disable the admin account and only run out of added admin accounts.. that way that would prevent anyone trying to do a brute force attack to guess our admin password.
You can replace the encoded admin password in /etc/shadow with a single "*" (wihtout the quotes); that will disable the login.

Note that I've never tested DA with multiple admin accounts, and I'm not saying DA will work properly, only that you will no longer be able to log in as "admin".

Jeff

you added two admin accounts means what? you logged in as admin, added 2 new users from the reseller panel? from the create new user button? can you log in via ssh and verify their usernames in /etc/passwd and that they have home directories?

/home/username ?

No meaning in the admin panel I clicked the button named "create admin". One of the admin can FTP in while the other can't. I'm wondering why the second one can't FTP in.

can you verify that user was created on the system? when you created this admin see if the username was created and make sure they have a home directory.

cat /etc/passwd

see if the name is on that list

and then ls -al /home

see if their directory is there. if not it is a simple matter you are typing the wrong username password or that admin doesn't have ssh access to the box.

Yes, this person was created and could login in his directadmin panel and ssh. Unfortunately I think it's the linode the problem, it runs out of memory/ram during the installation this with 96MBs of on a virtual server. It's running a dual 2.66GHz Intel Xeon proc and they guarantee 100MHz of CPU but whatever's not in use I can use. That's obviously not enough, so I'm moving to a fast Intel 2GHz dedicated for 100$/mCND :) Now that's gonna make DA run nice and smooth.

Erik

Back