Proftpd update

sysdev

Verified User
It doesn't install from the ./build script but manually it works.

If you get the gmake errror, press ctrl+z to put the script in the background, cd into the proftpd-1.3.3e directory, run ./configure, cd up 1 directory, 'fg' + enter to get the script back to the foreground, type 'y' + enter (You won't see a prompt as the script is still waiting on the y/n input to retry the build.

akkabarakka

It doesn't install from the ./build script but manually it works.

If you get the gmake errror, press ctrl+z to put the script in the background, cd into the proftpd-1.3.3e directory, run ./configure, cd up 1 directory, 'fg' + enter to get the script back to the foreground, type 'y' + enter (You won't see a prompt as the script is still waiting on the y/n input to retry the build.
run ./configure
run: Command not found.

sysdev

Verified User
run ./configure
run: Command not found.
Yeah, well... you should run './configure' ;)
At least on FreeBSD, on CentOS you can skip the './configure'. Actually you can skip everthing after the './build proftpd' on CentOS as it seems to work on that OS without problems.

# ./buildd proftpd
/* wait for error and prompt 'y/n retry stuff'
press [CTRL] + z
# cd proftpd-1.3.3e
# ./configure
# cd ..
# fg
press 'y' + [ENTER]

dudek888

Verified User

Thanks sysdev. This trick work perfectly. :)

Regards

smtalk

Administrator
Staff member
If you would like to disable nls (it was added about a month ago):
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
mkdir custom/proftpd
cp -pf configure/proftpd/configure.proftpd custom/proftpd/configure.proftpd
perl -pi -e 's|--enable-nls \\\n||' custom/proftpd/configure.proftpd
Also, for those who did not know, pure-ftpd support is now available:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build set proftpd no
./build set pureftpd yes
./build pureftpd

DirectAdmin Support

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

I tested on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems, and got the same error, but only on FreeBSD.
I tried some quick port reinstalls of gettext, but the proftpd configure still couldn't find it. I'm not sure if it's a proftpd bug, library issue (not likely) or a configure option we're missing (I didn't notice any for nls).

So for the time being I've updated custombuild to do a perl regex to swap enable-nls with disable-nls if the OS is freebsd. This only applies to the main configure/proftpd/configure.proftpd file. If you're running a custom/proftpd/configure.proftpd file, the swap won't happen (in case you made it work.. in which case, do share)

So for anyone affected, just type:
Code:
./build update
./build proftpd
should sort it out, then the custom configure.proftpd won't be required, so you can remove it.

John

ditto

Verified User
...So for the time being I've updated custombuild to do a perl regex to swap enable-nls with disable-nls if the OS is freebsd. This only applies to the main configure/proftpd/configure.proftpd file. If you're running a custom/proftpd/configure.proftpd file, the swap won't happen (in case you made it work.. in which case, do share)
It is important that we keep enable-nls, if not everyone that is uploading files with file names with special characters (like æ and ø and å), will get problems that those files do not work in a web browser.

Lucky me I am not on FreeBSD, but using CentOS, so I am not affected. But it is not a good solution to disable enable-nls - and if so happen, you must let us know about it in advance.

DirectAdmin Support

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

It wasn't my first choice. After about an hour of debugging with it, I gave up and turned it off. The issue isn't closed though, if we find a fix, it will be enabled again.

John

LionRock

Verified User
Hi,

is anything new about that? Im on freebsd 9.1 and still the same. It was also the same on 8.2. Any tip?

Chrysalis

Verified User
This is clearly a bug in the proftpd configure script, after I find a fix I will file the fix on github for them to fix.

wattie

Verified User
I was able to compile ProFTP with --enable-nls by doing this addition to the configure script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
install_user=ftp \
install_group=ftp \
./configure \
--prefix=/usr/local \
--sysconfdir=/etc \
--localstatedir=/var/run \
--mandir=/usr/share/man \
--without-pam \
--disable-auth-pam \
--enable-nls \
--enable-dso \
--with-modules=mod_ratio:mod_readme:mod_tls \
[B]--with-libraries=/usr/local/lib[/B]
The addition is the final line. I fetched it from the proftpd FreeBSD port.