Purchasing DA from host? Or straight at DA?

Adrian1

Hi all! I already run a website on VPS, but currently use Webmin. But WebMin gives me nothing but headaches! My developers have hard times setting up SSH. I spare you the details lol!

My hosting provider offers Direct Admin for 5 / month. But when I look at DirectAdmin website here, it only sets me back $ 2 / month for the personal plan. I was wondering, would it be technically possible when I purchase it right from DirectAdmin, and still use it on my same hosting provider?

It might be a dumb question, but I just would like to know where I am getting into.

Thanks a bunch! Best regards,
adrian

Hello Adrian,

You can use a full version from your hosting provider. Or purchase 1 year of a personal license directly. You are free to choose. In both cases you can relay only on forums, the both variants do not include support from Directadmin developers.

it only sets me back $ 2 / month for the personal plan
It's $3 /month setting back. Personal plan costs only $2 /month (recalculated from the yearly fee). And 5-2=3 difference. ;)

Also be aware of the fact that in the peronal license you can only use 1 user, which is admin.
You can not create any user accounts for your friends. With the full version this is no problem.

Hello Adrian,

You can use a full version from your hosting provider. Or purchase 1 year of a personal license directly. You are free to choose. In both cases you can relay only on forums, the both variants do not include support from Directadmin developers.

Thanks Alex, that is surely helpful!

It's $3 /month setting back. Personal plan costs only $2 /month (recalculated from the yearly fee). And 5-2=3 difference. ;)

Also be aware of the fact that in the peronal license you can only use 1 user, which is admin.
You can not create any user accounts for your friends. With the full version this is no problem.

Yes, sorry, my bad! ;)

With 'friends' do you mean developers? I source developing out, sometimes multiple developers have access at any given time.

Also, the user / re-seller concept is unclear. I would consider myself as 'superuser' with highest access rights, and give developers only the rights they need. But I guess that would not be possible with Personal account? Am I right?

With 'friends' do you mean developers? I source developing out, sometimes multiple developers have access at any given time.
It doesn't matter if it's friends, developpers or other users who need access to the DA panel.
There is only 1 useraccount. So if developpers need access to Directadmin itself, you have to give them your admin pass. Or change it every time after they are ready. It's something to keep in mind.
The user and reseller in the personal license is the same. It's admin. No difference, no different pass.

Also you can't create other users or resellers in the personal license. As said, only 1 account which is an admin account and the amount of domains is limited to 10 domains.

So you're right, what you want to do is not possible with a Personal license.
Exception to this is FTP access, because you can create different virtual FTP accounts with limited access.

It doesn't matter if it's friends, developpers or other users who need access to the DA panel.
There is only 1 useraccount. So if developpers need access to Directadmin itself, you have to give them your admin pass. Or change it every time after they are ready. It's something to keep in mind.
The user and reseller in the personal license is the same. It's admin. No difference, no different pass.

Also you can't create other users or resellers in the personal license. As said, only 1 account which is an admin account and the amount of domains is limited to 10 domains.

So you're right, what you want to do is not possible with a Personal license.
Exception to this is FTP access, because you can create different virtual FTP accounts with limited access.

Thanks Richard, for your detailed reply! I think I might as well go for a Light subscription at $15/mo. And create a "user" account for every developer who needs temporary access, and revoke access (delete user) after their specific task has been completed. I suppose that would suit my needs best.

I think I purchase straight from DA, as I suppose my host (transip.nl) offers only the personal license, otherwise their deal is impossible (€5/mo).

Thanks and best regards,
adrian

Hello Adrian.

You're welcome. However, I know Transip very well (ben ook Nederlander). And they are not the only one offering the full license for €5/mo, there are more providers offering at that price. Reason is that they have a special agreement with DA for datacenter/bulk licenses.
So it's not impossible. In fact they were already offered for that price before the personal license existed, wich is only released a couple of months ago.

To be sure you can just ask Transip, instead of biting yourself in the finger for about 10$/mo difference in price for an even smaller license. ;)

There are VPS providers, who offer full-featured directadmin for free with their virtual servers. One of them is IntoVPS, they developed and maintain IntoDNS service.

Hello Adrian.

You're welcome. However, I know Transip very well (ben ook Nederlander). And they are not the only one offering the full license for €5/mo, there are more providers offering at that price. Reason is that they have a special agreement with DA for datacenter/bulk licenses.
So it's not impossible. In fact they were already offered for that price before the personal license existed, wich is only released a couple of months ago.

To be sure you can just ask Transip, instead of biting yourself in the finger for about 10$/mo difference in price for an even smaller license. ;)

Hi Richard, I did consult TransIP and I they confirmed they offer unlimited accounts for 5 euro. So your suggestion worked out well ;). I might consider to upgrade from my TransIP account. Thanks!

There are VPS providers, who offer full-featured directadmin for free with their virtual servers. One of them is IntoVPS, they developed and maintain IntoDNS service.

Hi zEitEr,

Thanks for the suggestion, I checked IntoVPS, it looks promising. Their prices are hard to beat I guess! I asked them about the issue, and they confirmed they offer unlimited account too, for just a few dollars. It is hard to resist not to switch hosts from TransIP to IntoVPS, but I don't feel like tossing my files around from one hosting provider to another at this stage. Besides, I don't have the skills for such task, so it would need to be sourced out.

Best regards.

Back