question about apache permissions in directadmin setup

simpel

Verified User
I was wondering how it is possible that a php script can write in users home dir without allowing apache write access?

Webserver runs as apache (with php-fpm) and the home dir is /home/user2 and has permissions: user2:user2 with 750

example:

if i have a php script in
/home/user2/domains/mydomain/public_html/createfile.php
with owner user2:user2
and i have it create a file in: ../../../newfile.txt
and have the script executed through apache:
www.mydomain.tld/createfile.php

then it writes the new file without any problem in /home/user2/newfile.txt with owner user2:user2 and file mode 640

i would expect this would be denied since the directory mode is 750 and not owned by apache nor group apache and 'other' only has no rights.

i checked /etc/groups and no clues there either.

also, if it is created by php-fpm, which runs as root you'd expect the new file the be onwed by root, but thats not the case either.

then i figured perhaps gid bit is set on the directory but this is also not the case.

what am i missing here?

Add to your script next line
system(id);
and open in browser (maybe you will need to remove "system" from disable_functions).
Also You can check /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/user2/httpd.conf and see that php-fpm instans starts with users UID/GID

Hello,

With PHP-FPM on DirectAdmin servers all scripts are executed in behalf of script owners, not apache.

So all PHP scripts under /home/user2/ are executed in behalf of user user2. Hence writing is allowed.

Back