Question on Mailing Lists

billmoore

Verified User
I am trying to setup a mailing list on a website. I only want the ability to send an email to the list from one address. And that would be posted from a form in the members area of the site.

I assume I fill something in the restrict post box on the modify list form but what ? is it the email address I want it to come from ?

is there anything that can give a better explanation as to what all these options are ? the help system is not very good on this.

In the Restrict Post section, you need to put the name of a file that contains the list of email address that are allowed to post. So, for example if you wanted to restrict posting to only those on the list, then you could just put the name of the list in that field, since the file name happens to be same. So if your listname was family, then you could just put family in that field. If you also want to add a few other posters, then you could add another file and put family:/path/to/other/file in that field.

In your case you may want to create a file somewhere in your home directory and put the only poster allowed in it and put the full path in that field. Also make sure that file can be read by the majordomo user.

Example /home/user/allowedposter File:

Example Value in Modify Mailing List screen:
Code:
Restrict Post  /home/user/allowedposter

Thanks !!

I will try it and let you know how it works.. I thought that that field would take the email addy of the poster... I was close...

Bill

Back