RedHat Limits Access to RHEL Source Code

The thing that Debian is missing is a 10 year life cycle. Now, I know you can do in-place OS upgrades with Debian, but I just don't know how realistic that is when you're looking at a large, diverse web hosting server fleet.

My hope all along was that a group would come about and do with Debian what Rocky Linux essentially is doing with RHEL. Combine Debian releases to give a 10 year life cycle for a new Debian-variant.

But I just don't know if any Debian group is really that interested in that or if they've just surrendered to RHEL and RHEL-variants as being the only true 10 year OS systems.

Honestly, the AlmaLinux decision - if they can do what they say they want to do - is probably the best, at least for the web hosting industry.

The web hosting industry doesn't really need commercial OS support. All of the facets of the web hosting stack is controlled by the control panel (DirectAdmin, cPanel, etc), those control panels just need an OS to sit on top of, and ideally one that is supported for a long time.

SUSE will fork Red Hat Enterprise Linux
DA does not support Suse (yet) and I've read it this in the link:
announced it is forking publicly available Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL
Which means.... they wil fork Centros Stream because that is the only publicly available RHEL left over.

SUSE is committed to working with the open source community to develop a long-term, enduring compatible alternative for RHEL and CentOS users
Since Centos Stream is in fact very beta it is expected to be a less stable than Centos or Alma/Rocky/Oracle.
So I'm curious about that point later on, maybe Rocky is making that choice too because it's still not very clear to me what they effectively are going to do.

DA does not support Suse (yet)
I am thinking this is a huge opportunity for suse / opensuse not jus to fork RHEL but to expand interest in opensuse. If DA were to support it, I would eventually migrate over. Their Wiki is very good from what I see.

Bring back FreeBSD.... Sorry couln't resist.

Switching to debain fixes the issue for now.

Ubuntu Pro (Infra-only) costs US$225.00/year (self support one), which can support 1 host (and unlimited VM guests with update inside this host). <-- if my understanding is right.

Then, we can have OS update (and its guests update OS) for 10 years end-to-end.

However, the update for DirectAdmin on Ubuntu platform is limited to 5 years.

The thing that Debian is missing is a 10 year life cycle. Now, I know you can do in-place OS upgrades with Debian, but I just don't know how realistic that is when you're looking at a large, diverse web hosting server fleet.

My hope all along was that a group would come about and do with Debian what Rocky Linux essentially is doing with RHEL. Combine Debian releases to give a 10 year life cycle for a new Debian-variant.

But I just don't know if any Debian group is really that interested in that or if they've just surrendered to RHEL and RHEL-variants as being the only true 10 year OS systems.

Honestly, the AlmaLinux decision - if they can do what they say they want to do - is probably the best, at least for the web hosting industry.

The web hosting industry doesn't really need commercial OS support. All of the facets of the web hosting stack is controlled by the control panel (DirectAdmin, cPanel, etc), those control panels just need an OS to sit on top of, and ideally one that is supported for a long time.

Well, if you're going to pay Ubuntu for 10 years of support, then you might as well pay for a RHEL license.

The void in the market is what the old CentOS provided and what the current AlmaLinux and Rocky Linux pseudo-promised: a free distribution with a 10 year life cycle. As far as I know, Debian or any Debian-variant lacks that. Debian (or more likely a Debian-variant) missed that opportunity after the CentOS 8 decision and they've further missed it (unless someone is working on something... these things don't happen overnight) with this RHEL source issue.

At any rate, I've mostly backed off of my position of Debian-variant needing a 10 year lifetime. For whatever reason, the Debian community is fine and dandy with a 5 year cycle. They've obviously never been a huge distribution used in the shared web hosting industry, so the pleads of a 10 year life cycle just doesn't speak to them. I'm inclined now to see what happens with the AlmaLinux fork. Their decision to forego being a 1:1 clone of RHEL and just go alone may be wise.

I don't think many in the shared web hosting industry really needed all the stuff that RHEL was doing. Updates to security concerns in packages was needed and the 10 year life cycle was needed. If AlmaLinux can do that on their own, then I couldn't care less if it's a 1:1 RHEL clone, and I suspect others will feel the same.

The question becomes, can AlmaLinux actually do all of that without the benefit of leeching off of RHEL packages? Not saying they can't, not suggesting that they can't. Just an honest question. But at this point that seems to be the dog to back rather than battle for a 10 year life-cycled Debian-variant.

Well, if you're going to pay Ubuntu for 10 years of support, then you might as well pay for a RHEL license.
And with the latest DirectAdmin approach, it won't change anything about the required upgrade to new stable version.
Even though I have ELS from Cloudlinux for a couple of mine CentOS 6 servers, DA abandoned it a long time ago anyway.

CloudLinux plans to release a free version of CloudLinux OS 8 and 9
It sounds like they are just going to rename AlmaLinux to CloudLinux FREE! And that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Looks like they were a wee bit premature in making that announcement! In the comments, little over a month later, Igor wrote:
The situation has progressed since the blog post was posted, and it seems that AlmaLinux future is secure. As long as that is the case, we don't plan to release a free version, as people can use AlmaLinux which is already free.

I think I'll stick with AlmaLinux for now and see what happens.

I'm sorry but Alma and Rocky are already dead. As Red Hat decided to not allow them to redistribute Red Hat code in different name for free.
So what is actually happening now is, Alma and Rocky or CentOS are all became re-distribution of CentOS Upstream. Which is not the same thing as Red Hat. Alma and Rocky claims they are not dead, but they can't use Red Hat as they did previously, and what they can offer is just CentOS Stream distribution based distribution.

So current CentOS alternative is Debian or Debian based distros like Ubuntu. Or OpenSuse if you have already experience on it. There are other linux distros but Debian has the largest community. I dont know about OpenSuse.

It's strange but I just read a recent news which Microsoft also suggests their Windows 10 users to try Ubuntu if their system is not compatible with Windows 11, to be safe with an updated OS.

Back